2nd monitor problems while playing WoW

Hi guys,

My primary monitor is a 24' 144hz Monitor. Now I bought a second 60Hz IPS display, for streaming while doing stuff and such. However, once I stream for example on a high quality, my wow feels not smooth anymore. The FPS Are high, but it simply feels laggy , as soon as I stream something on the second display. Any suggestions ?

my system btw is :

Intel i7 7700K
    GF GTX 1080
    16GB Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213 DDR4-2133 DIMM
    Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P
    Last edited by fndrx; 2017-04-28 at 08:54 PM.

Are you sure the screens dont bug out?

Does the "not so smooth" feeling appear if you have WoW set on fullscreen on the 144Hz while streaming.

Also fix your RAM post, Kaby Lake doesnt go with DDR3 :P

Unless you got that DDR3L motherboard?

Actually I cant do that. If I play WoW in Fullscreen, the other Monitor / Stream just turns black ; the sound of the stream still works though

Its DDR4 actually
    Last edited by fndrx; 2017-04-28 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fndrx View Post
    Actually I cant do that. If I play WoW in Fullscreen, the other Monitor / Stream just turns black ; the sound of the stream still works though
    Not surprising, different outputs, no wonder it bugs out.

But i didnt ask if it turns black, does the "not so smooth" disappear when you set fullscreen? If it does or is reduce its the whole different Hz thingie probably.

Are your nvidia settings set to Multi display?

yes , on fullscreen the " not so smooth " disappears . nvidia is set to single display, because someone said on another board that this should increase gaming experience on my primary monitor

yes , on fullscreen the " not so smooth " disappears . nvidia is set to single display, because someone said on another board that this should increase gaming experience on my primary monitor
    You are using multiple monitors, you only turn that to Single when there is a single monitor in case nvidia drivers bug out :P

They did a few years back so that rumor is all over the internet.

The problem you have is that Monitor 2, is bugging out your Vsync in Monitor 1 cause you are forcing it somehow, thats why its disappearing when set on Fullscreen because Monitor 2 goes out of play.

Remove Vsync from everywhere, see if it works.

If it doesnt, you will probably require lots of tinkering to find out what causing the Vsync issue.

Also, Display settings.

Do NOT use extended monitor, it does not work with different refresh rates.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-28 at 09:00 PM.

If I enable multi display on Nvidia , I can play on fullscreen and watching stream meanwhile ; however it still doesnt run smooth . I Vsync is disabled in Nvidia , I dont know how I can disable it more than there. Moreover its more like micro lags, not Vsync enabled feeling what you are ( i at least assume so ) thinking about

If I enable multi display on Nvidia , I can play on fullscreen and watching stream meanwhile ; however it still doesnt run smooth . I Vsync is disabled in Nvidia , I dont know how I can disable it more than there. Moreover its more like micro lags, not Vsync enabled feeling what you are ( i at least assume so ) thinking about
    Different Hz screens is a pain in the ass to figure out, especially over a forum

Best you can do is the basic steps.

Not extended display on Display Settings.

No Vsync in WoW or Chrome (Browser you use) (it might have a setting hidden in commands).

What do you mean by not extend display ?

What do you mean by not extend display ?
    Right click desktop-->Display settings.

At multiple displays there are options.

"Duplicate desktop"

"Extend Desktop"

"Different monitors" etc etc, i dont remember all the names.

Extended desktop does not work properly on different Hz screens.

Which is pretty much what you want to do :P

Basically Extend Display or Desktop creates a bigger desktop by using the second screen, so you can play in Monitor 1 and watch stuff in Monitor 2.

Only problem is, your GPU tries to force 2 different refresh rates into 1 desktop and you are getting your problem.

Take the 60Hz monitor back and get another 144Hz is your easiest choice.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-28 at 09:17 PM.

its the only option though that works for streaming and playing at the same time isnt it ?

Duplicate lets me do just one thing, on both monitors

Edit : well are you 100% Sure buying a 144Hz monitor is solving the issue ? they cost a little bit more
    Last edited by fndrx; 2017-04-28 at 09:18 PM.

its the only option though that works for streaming and playing at the same time isnt it ?

Duplicate lets me do just one thing, on both monitors

Edit : well are you 100% Sure buying a 144Hz monitor is solving the issue ? they cost a little bit more
    Dont buy a new monitor :P i am just saying it would probably make the problem disappear.

What i mean is, there are tons of bugs with different refresh rates, you can make it work by searching what is causing it in your case.

What connections are you using? DVI-D for both?

Well i bought the monitor yesterday , so I can still give it back . I cant use 2 DVI-D , the geforce gtx 1080 has only 1 DVI slot. I use HDMI for the 60hz and DVI for the 144hz one

Well i bought the monitor yesterday , so I can still give it back . I cant use 2 DVI-D , the geforce gtx 1080 has only 1 DVI slot. I use HDMI for the 60hz and DVI for the 144hz one
    Here is where you fiddle with settings to find out whats causing it really

Also, make sure you get the latest nvidia drivers to be sure.

And you could try a Display Port cable instead of DVI-D if your 144Hz screen supports that.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-28 at 09:28 PM.

I could limit my pirmary monitor tor 60Hz , if the micro lags disappear or it feels better, we know the issue dont we ?

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone advice a 144Hz 24' monitor from streaming and such ?

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Extended desktop does not work properly on different Hz screens.

Which is pretty much what you want to do :P

Basically Extend Display or Desktop creates a bigger desktop by using the second screen, so you can play in Monitor 1 and watch stuff in Monitor 2.

Only problem is, your GPU tries to force 2 different refresh rates into 1 desktop and you are getting your problem.

Take the 60Hz monitor back and get another 144Hz is your easiest choice.
    my main monitor is 96hz and my second is 60hz and i've never had a problem with these settings?

ew i have a 1070 coming, don't tell me this is some nvidia suckage i am gonna run into soon
    Last edited by the boar; 2017-04-28 at 11:23 PM.

Win 10 causes some of these issues with its built in Game DVR and Xbox app.

Brute delete them (command line) and see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    my main monitor is 96hz and my second is 60hz and i've never had a problem with these settings?

ew i have a 1070 coming, don't tell me this is some nvidia suckage i am gonna run into soon
    Its random. Most of the time its just settings that cause the problem.

Yes I would have done that if i did not already fix the problem . It seems that Windows Aero caused the stuttering or not smooth gameplay feeling. As soon as I switch to a Windows Basic design ( Basically deactivate Windows Aero ) everythings works just fine. This is , however, not really a satisfying solution for me, since I need to disable / enable Aero all the time when I start / finish playing WoW. The problem seems to occur for many people who play games in windowed mode, but everyone fixes it differently ( I read through like 10 google search result pages ).

oh windows 7, phew. that explains it! hmm should've asked which windows you were using, d'oh.