Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    ..I really need to actually play FF12...I bought it but my issue with it was I bought Okami at the same time...and kinda was more interested in Okami than I was FF12 but I keep hearing people rave about it

15+ Year Old Account
    I loved all the main series ones. For me, the one that I probably played the most was 10. I had been a fan of the series since it began and I heard that the creator of Final Fantasy was leaving when he finished making 10. I didn't think there would ever be another one, so I played it for as long as I could and 100% the game. And now, 15 is out.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

15+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy 6 will always, by a long shot, be my favorite final fantasy, despite having played it long after 7, 8, 9 and 10 and long after the end of my childhood (played and very much enjoyed 7-10 at my playstation-friend's house, never had FF6 despite the fact that I was "the nintendo kid").

Though it's probably not gonna take the "favorite game" or even "favorite rpg" spot, contesting with secret of mana and link to the past is quite difficult, because they are also exceptionally good games and also have the unfair advantage of having been around during my childhood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Blizzard didn't have any problem killing Kael'thas, Illidan, Kael'thas, Lady Vashj, or even Kael'thas.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Final Fantasy 3(6)
    Same. 3(6) was my first and probably my favorite. 7, 10, 9 come next pretty close to each other. Never been able to get into 8, tried playing it a couple times over the years and just can't get into it after a couple hours.

Also, while not a Final Fantasy I have to throw Chrono Trigger in there too, probably between 6 & 7.

I'm a huge fan of nine as well. I feel like that game was the pinnacle of the series in its golden age. Six is also fantastic, and I think it might've even topped nine had it come out with the technology of the Playstation to support it. Six sticks the landing better than the vast majority of FF games by doing something incredibly bold towards the end rather than going off the rails like most entries in the series did. Unfortunately I think the limitations of the Super Nintendo held back some of the more minor details and the bigger, more climactic moments in ways later consoles and the jump to 3D managed to surpass. One of the things I adore about FF9 is the freedom and detail in all the character animations compared to older games in the series. Everyone is so beautifully emotive in FF9, and the exaggerated cartoony style prevents it from falling into some of the weird and uncanny moments we saw in subsequent titles. It had great visuals and animation coming later on in the lifecycle of the Playstation, fantastic writing and localisation before the awkwardness of poorly handled voice acting could undermine it, and all of the classic hallmarks of Final Fantasy in its prime.

FF8 also gets an honourable mention as the first game I played in the series, and for the longest time I was madly in love with it. A real huge nostalgia favourite. Having replayed it more recently, however, it has a lot of problems with the storytelling. It's got a smaller cast than most of the other games that is also, paradoxically, a lot less interesting by comparison. I love Squall because he's such a weird asshole protagonist, and probably one of the most accurate representations of an actual teenage character in a JRPG. The romance is sweet as well, and FF8 probably has the most memorable and numerous set pieces of any Final Fantasy game for me, but the lack of character stuff going on with the central cast ultimately takes it down a notch in my overall estimation. Still a fantastic game, but notably flawed.

10+ Year Old Account
    ff12 is an epic soundtrack before anything else

FF5. Loved the job system, loved the story, loved the music, loved the Gilgamesh fights and loved the Omega boss fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to like the ones that are "popular opinion" except for 6.

XII
    X (odd on out)
    VIII
    XV
    VI
    XIII

love them, in that order. never played 9. think i played V, not sure. also had final fantasy legend 3, which was weird...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

FFX. I love everything about that game.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite, mechanically, is 5. I loved how jobs and abilities worked in that. Far as favorite overall, probably 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    My favorite, mechanically, is 5. I loved how jobs and abilities worked in that. Far as favorite overall, probably 9.
    Nothing like glitching out your game with 4 berserkers equipped with Chicken Knives.

My setup was always Mystic Knight, Ninja, White Mage, Red Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by coolman298 View Post
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Underrated...at least around here.

For me my top two are ten and seven. Ten was actually the first FF game I'd ever played. Ironic thing was I had the platforms the previous ones were available on but never gave it the chance for some reason. Like another said, it was during my adolescence too so it's definitely special in that regard. Outside of that though, I just really got into the story and its characters. They did a great job of really fleshing the world out. And seven is just a masterpiece to me. Super in-depth, great story, some of the most challenging end-game bosses I've ever faced in any game, and by far the best cut scene animations to have ever graced the PS2. They hold up to this day; it's astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Final Fantasy 3(6)
    Yup! simply the best. FF tactics is would be my runner up.

I remember saying my top 3 were 5,7 and 10 but to be honest if I had to really sit down and think about it. Top 3 would be 5, 7 and 13-2 tied with 12. If we counted MMOs then 5, 7 and 14.

Tactics just wasn't my cup of tea. Great game nonetheless though. Favorite spin off FF game is Chocobo Racing.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-05-05 at 09:22 PM.

Final Fantasy 9.

I've liked them all since Final Fantasy 1.
    Final Fantasy 7 was an unexpected move, a definite close 2nd, and combined technology, modern elements and classic fantasy EXTREMELY well and while I really enjoyed it, immensely. And I've since liked cross-over games. FF8 did nothing for me and FF9 was an absolutely incredible return to all the things that made the franchise great from the beginning. So it's easily my favorite one.

To spite not playing it anymore for money reasons, time reasons, etc.
    Am I allowed to list Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn, as a third runner up?
    It really is a great game story/world/design wise.
    Last edited by Spiral Mage; 2017-05-01 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Mage View Post
    Final Fantasy 9.

I've liked them all since Final Fantasy 1.
    Final Fantasy 7 was an unexpected move and combined technology, modern elements and classic fantasy EXTREMELY well and while I really enjoyed it, immensely. And I've since liked cross-over games. FF8 did nothing for me and FF9 was an absolutely incredible return to all the things that made the franchise great from the beginning. So it's easily my favorite one.

To spite not playing it anymore for money reasons, time reasons, etc.
    Am I allowed to list Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn, as a runner up?
    It really is a great game story/world/design wise.
    I'd say listing the MMO series is fine. Counts as main series pretty much.

Close tie between Final Fantasy IV and X.

FFIV was a simple game, anyone could probably do better on some old RPG Maker engine these days. But the plot originated my everlasting appreciation for stories that are morally ambiguous; you start out as a knight to a tyrant king that is told to deliver a package to a nearby village. As it turns out, said package was some sort of bomb (good thing the game was released in pre-911 America!) and from thereon Cecil, the hero, began to question his aspirations as a Dark Knight... which eventually led him on a quest to become a noble Paladin. At the time, that was not bad at all in terms of SNES RPG storytelling. FFIV is also a good starting point for anyone who is looking to learn more about the stenuous world of game imports as well as the reasons why we don't always get some great titles delivered to our shores.

FFX on the other hand was simply a great game with more content and cinematic value than anything else that was released around the turn of the millennia. It was the good kind of gimmicky, turn-based, had a great cast of characters, and featured a story that is still burned in the minds of anyone that has given it some serious thought. Yuna was that gifted religious girl who had to go on an ill-fated journey to her own demise, but didn't flinch or let the player know until the chips were down. By contrast, the annoyingly cheerful and optimistic main character was essentially a dream powered by the main villain. It was all very melancholic which is exactly how a good story with engaging characters should be.

I could write about those games for hours on end, with grammar and cohesion as my only obstacles as I contemplate this empty bottle of wine in the moonlight. But yeah, do yourself a favor and try those games out if you haven't already.

PS: FFIX was a blast to the past in a series that is already drenched in nostalgia as a matter of tradition. I skipped it entirely.

15+ Year Old Account
    9 is the best without question just because of the soundtrack. I'm excited for 12 remaster because of the new class stuff though. I'm even playing 14 as I type this.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    9 is the best without question just because of the soundtrack. I'm excited for 12 remaster because of the new class stuff though. I'm even playing 14 as I type this.
    12 remaster isn't new class stuff per se. It's using the Zodiac Job system which didn't see a release in Western territories. Basically there are still License Boards but an example is Red Battlemage linked below.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Battlemage

Basically each zodiac sign has it's own Board path rather than the full on freedom 12 did.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-05-01 at 04:42 AM.