Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Please listen to Gamers Nexus for more information as to reference of information.
    The driver is there but it's basic, I should've rephrased, like I said ... Gamers Nexus explains it better and in more detail.
    So Nvidia driver is less basic then?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    So Nvidia driver is less basic then?
    I quoted you an exact text from nVidia's own game-ready driver.

Sure sounds like it being more than basic yes from nVidia's own mouth.

"Fuel A has been optimized for Super Hyper Type C Sports Car F1!"
    "Fuel B supports Super Hyper Type C Sports Car F1" and added from video "Optimization comes closer to release of sports car!"

Which is optimized and which is not?

I quoted you an exact text from nVidia's own game-ready driver.

Sure sounds like it being more than basic yes from nVidia's own mouth.

"Fuel A has been optimized for Super Hyper Type C Sports Car F1!"
    "Fuel B supports Super Hyper Type C Sports Car F1" and added from video "Optimization comes closer to release of sports car!"

Which is optimized and which is not?
    Both are not. The game is updated daily.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    Quite possibly, but that's not what nVidia themselves state.

Either which way this is why I hate "Beta Reviews".

Quite possibly, but that's not what nVidia themselves state.

Either which way this is why I hate "Beta Reviews".
    You sound like anyone actually reads those driver notes.

15+ Year Old Account
    You sound like anyone actually reads those driver notes.
    This very statement is why we system admins love to throw the acronym "R.T.F.M." around.
    Surprisingly a lot of people actually do, whether you do or don't is honestly none of my concern when nVidia states it themselves.

Then NVidia should say that. They are the ones who are saying that the drivers are optimized for the beta. I think I will take NVidia's word over yours.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    <snip charts>

both vendors have the Destiny 2 beta driver in this test
    I don't get this. I can find games that favor the Vega 56 over the 1070 and others, like this one, that favor the 1070 over the Vega 56. I think that the vega cards have bigger issues with availability. Vega 64 without some serious driver optimizations is not really a good choice for games unless you are also doing some compute tasks at the same time.

At the end of the day, I like the Anandtech motto. There aren't bad GFX cards, just bad prices. It's a bit too early to tell if the 56 will be competitive price wise. It has some good things going for it in the under volting and overclocking but I think they are going to battle to keep the price down because of the HBM cost/availability and the present mining chaos.

I don't get this.
    you dont get posting performance benchmarks for only one of the biggest (if not the biggest) releases PC will get this fall ?

ok

- - - Updated - - -

also Vega 56 is already selling fyi

as expected, availability is bad and prices (at least after the initial 30/60 minutes) are >> $400

This very statement is why we system admins love to throw the acronym "R.T.F.M." around.
    Surprisingly a lot of people actually do, whether you do or don't is honestly none of my concern when nVidia states it themselves.
    There is not single line of text there that is useful to the end user in any way, except the list of supported GPUs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Then NVidia should say that. They are the ones who are saying that the drivers are optimized for the beta. I think I will take NVidia's word over yours.
    Say what exactly? That beta is beta and everything is subject to change? Or that our driver is more optimized than AMDs? There are just saying that it's optimized compared to previous driver versions, and you and Evilduffy try to extrapolate the level of optimization based on wording in driver notes. Don't you find that silly?
    Last edited by Thunderball; 2017-08-30 at 11:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you guys arguing whether Nvidia drivers are better than AMD? Is there actual argument?

It's just usual thing, AMD lagging as usual with drivers, stunning surprise there.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is not single line of text there that is useful to the end user in any way, except the list of supported GPUs.
    I'll remember your opinion regarding notes in general for the next time since they "are never read anyway".

Say what exactly? That beta is beta and everything is subject to change? Or that our driver is more optimized than AMDs? There are just saying that it's optimized compared to previous driver versions, and you and Evilduffy try to extrapolate the level of optimization based on wording in driver notes. Don't you find that silly?
    No, it's simply put actually reading what's written.
    Wait... this comment reminds me of something... oh right... the other thread and lack of reading.

Don't call me Evilduffy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Are you guys arguing whether Nvidia drivers are better than AMD? Is there actual argument?

It's just usual thing, AMD lagging as usual with drivers, stunning surprise there.
    There isn't, just an interpretation of what's written and whatnot.

Like I said in my post on the top of this page:
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy
    I think it's a bit stupid overall to release performance reviews of Beta games by anyone if I'm honest.
    So much can still change it's ridiculous... they should call it, clearly, Beta Performance PREview.
    Technically it's exactly because of your bottom paragraph considering the state of the game.

No, it's simply put actually reading what's written.
    Wait... this comment reminds me of something... oh right... the other thread and lack of reading.
    So we're actually arguing about wording here instead of actual GPU performance? I'm done with it then.

Don't call me Evilduffy.
    Lol, whoooops. Fits you pretty well though.

I'll remember your opinion regarding notes in general for the next time since they "are never read anyway".
    Don't call me Evilduffy.
    Hehe... Evilduffy, it's stupid, but made giggle a little.

Further more this argument is a little too early people calm your tits and lets wait to the full release. Hopefully by then we'll have a better idea of what each company can do. Then we can tear each other apart over which fanboy is more right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

AMD offers up more of their card to the API, they expect modernity in engines but we bind ourselves to inferior proprietary tech. Nvidia doesn't care, it has a huge team to write around shitty engines because it expects to do optimisation, exposing less of their cards via driver. Driver engies would prefer not to have the work, as properly delineated, all this function is best performed by the engine.

Open standardised compliant code for open compliant hardware is the future from a low-level engine pov. The future will come, typical to AMD though, it ain't here yet.

Lol, whoooops. Fits you pretty well though.
    Doesn't make you look too good though, if you stoop to calling people names.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    you dont get posting performance benchmarks for only one of the biggest (if not the biggest) releases PC will get this fall ?

ok
    Either what you are saying is correct and the numbers are pretty important or what Thunderball is saying is correct and they mean almost nothing because both drivers are unoptimized or somewhere in between. Basically it's a beta game. I think it would be prudent to wait until the game is released before we judge how the gfx cards will work with it. Especially if you consider how little optimization would have been done from the AMD side. They have some hardware features disabled because they are still working on support for those features. I would think that would be more important that a beta game.

also Vega 56 is already selling fyi

as expected, availability is bad and prices (at least after the initial 30/60 minutes) are >> $400
    I know. That's why I said it's too early to tell. It doesn't matter if the card has a MSRP of $100 if the card isn't available in the shops for that price or isn't available at all. We will have to wait and see how things stabilize, especially with the mining. Personally I wouldn't buy any GFX card at the moment. Almost all cards are selling way above what they were selling for 6 months ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going on what both companies said. In their words. If you read what I just wrote about the Vega drivers above it will make a lot more sense. AMD are scrambling with the Vega drivers. Their are parts of their cards disabled. How much focus do you think they will be putting into a beta game? On the other hand, NVidia is riding high. They have time to optimize their drivers and aren't under the same sort of pressure. It's even likely that the game is being developed on NVidia hardware. Which card is more likely to get a 20% speed bump? You make your own mind up.

I am going on what both companies said. In their words. If you read what I just wrote about the Vega drivers above it will make a lot more sense. AMD are scrambling with the Vega drivers. Their are parts of their cards disabled. How much focus do you think they will be putting into a beta game? On the other hand, NVidia is riding high. They have time to optimize their drivers and aren't under the same sort of pressure. It's even likely that the game is being developed on NVidia hardware. Which card is more likely to get a 20% speed bump? You make your own mind up.
    Both didnt say anything, they just sticked with their usual wording that they put in driver notes everytime. Also, I dont see any excuse for AMD driver situation. Vega has been late as it is, they had plenty of time to develop drivers. I dont expect any cards to get more than 10% speed bumps. We also have to consider that all the tests released at this time are done with MSAA off, by developer's request. That thing is bound to create more problems in the future.

I dont really get that expectation of AMD to optimize the drivers and get some huge improvements. They never do, and people still expect them to.

Both didnt say anything, they just sticked with their usual wording that they put in driver notes everytime.
    Now you are making assumptions. I am involved with software development and I can assure you that we don't just stick things in the release notes.

Also, I dont see any excuse for AMD driver situation. Vega has been late as it is, they had plenty of time to develop drivers. I dont expect any cards to get more than 10% speed bumps. We also have to consider that all the tests released at this time are done with MSAA off, by developer's request. That thing is bound to create more problems in the future.
    There is no excuse for the state of the Vega drivers. AMD stuffed up big time and the longer it goes on the worse it will be for them. It's completely unacceptable.

I dont really get that expectation of AMD to optimize the drivers and get some huge improvements. They never do, and people still expect them to.
    AMD has an historical precedent for getting decent improvements from driver changes. Where do you think the FineWine story comes from. There are also parts of the card disabled at the moment (e.g. tile based rasterization). Those will certainly improve the performance. How much of an improvement is up in the air.

It's more likely that AMD will see a bigger improvement for the beta in the future based on 2 things. Firstly, the benchmarks put Vega 56 well behind the 1070 compared to what people are seeing in other games and secondly because the Nvidia cards are more mature and have been on the market longer.

That doesn't mean that is what we will see. We could see the opposite. It's just more likely that there will be a bigger boost on the AMD Vega side than there will be on the Nvidia side.

Now you are making assumptions. I am involved with software development and I can assure you that we don't just stick things in the release notes.
    Driver notes are public, you can check them, for both Nvidia and AMD. No need to trust me here, just check.

AMD has an historical precedent for getting decent improvements from driver changes. Where do you think the FineWine story comes from. There are also parts of the card disabled at the moment (e.g. tile based rasterization). Those will certainly improve the performance. How much of an improvement is up in the air.
    AFAIK tile based rasterization was only disabled on Vega FE. RX Vega cards are not affected by this.

It's just more likely that there will be a bigger boost on the AMD Vega side than there will be on the Nvidia side.
    I agree, but I very much doubt that it will be more than 10%, let alone 20.

Driver notes are public, you can check them, for both Nvidia and AMD. No need to trust me here, just check.
    That's the point. They were quoted here before. In one case the notes said "support for" and the other said "optimized for". Those mean different things. One could argue what the AMD and Nvidia intentions were when they wrote the notes but it would be much more accurate to just take them at face value. In other words, accept what is written in the notes.

AFAIK tile based rasterization was only disabled on Vega FE. RX Vega cards are not affected by this.
    That's probably the case. I didn't look into it much. My point was that AMD have much bigger things to work on then trying to make a beta of a unreleased game work better.

I agree, but I very much doubt that it will be more than 10%, let alone 20.
    Again, anythings possible. That's why these benchmarks are of very little value until the game has been released and AMD has sorted out their driver issues. And even then, with the mining chaos, people will need to look at the price of the cards at the time (and the games that they play most often) to see which is the better option.