Thread: Sahara Sea

Sahara Sea

I was reading about an idea that came into being in the late 19th to early 20th centuries about building canals from the Qattara Depression in Egypt to the Mediterranean Sea, especially creating a sea. Of course a lot of it was speculatory and mostly abandoned.

However, would there be any major human-related or ecological benefits in building bodies of water in the Sahara? If you were to create a Qattara Sea or fill depressions in North Africa in water by connecting them to the Altantic Ocean or the Mediterranean Sea?

10+ Year Old Account
    This reminds of what the Nazis did in The man in the High Castle, that is, draining the Mediterranean for farm land or smth

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I was reading about an idea that came into being in the late 19th to early 20th centuries about building canals from the Qattara Depression in Egypt to the Mediterranean Sea, especially creating a sea. Of course a lot of it was speculatory and mostly abandoned.

However, would there be any major human-related or ecological benefits in building bodies of water in the Sahara? If you were to create a Qattara Sea or fill depressions in North Africa in water by connecting them to the Altantic Ocean or the Mediterranean Sea?
    hard to say, would require a large project as its basically sand, not soil. So it would be kinda pointless unless you basically did a large terraforming job.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could this affect Mediterranean Sea levels? I do not want to walk an extra minute to the sea, it already takes me five.

There are some big below sea level areas in California, "Death Valley" comes to mind and is a cool name. I don't know about flooding it, I think they made it a national park.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    hard to say, would require a large project as its basically sand, not soil. So it would be kinda pointless unless you basically did a large terraforming job.
    Yeah, I've thought about that too. I imagine you could import soil for the purpose of establishing farming communities, but I imagine that would be expensive, especially with the harsh winds of the Sahara potentially blowing the soil away.

Not an expert or that knowledgeable on the subject, so if I say things that sound stupid, feel free to correct me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I've thought about that too. I imagine you could import soil for the purpose of establishing farming communities, but I imagine that would be expensive, especially with the harsh winds of the Sahara potentially blowing the soil away.

Not an expert or that knowledgeable on the subject, so if I say things that sound stupid, feel free to correct me.
    Every year in Cyprus they have dust storms, which is basically a large chunk of the Sahara blowing over the island. Changing the make up of the Sahara could affect adversely effect the Mediterranean in ways we do not know, so best not to fuck about with things too much.

It's a very complex thing to terraform a desert, since most of the sand is extremely infertile and lacks nutrients for plants to grow. Usually in the sea when sand-beds rise birds use them as resting grounds and leave their shit (and seeds) behind. A possibility is to try and flood the area lightly and try and grow algae in the water in order to slowly create a fertile plain for plants to root and grow on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Every year in Cyprus they have dust storms, which is basically a large chunk of the Sahara blowing over the island. Changing the make up of the Sahara could affect adversely effect the Mediterranean in ways we do not know, so best not to fuck about with things too much.
    Happens in Canary Islands, too. Huge red dust storms!
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Yeah, the dust also makes it's way across the Atlantic Ocean and supplies a lot of the sand for the beaches in the Caribbean. I'm not talking about terraforming the entirety of the Sahara.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the dust also makes it's way across the Atlantic Ocean and supplies a lot of the sand for the beaches in the Caribbean. I'm not talking about terraforming the entirety of the Sahara.
    I would prefer to know what the effects are going to be on the Eastern Mediterranean before anyone undertook such a project, it could be negative, which is not going to have very much benefit to a region that is notoriously volatile.

Could this affect Mediterranean Sea levels? I do not want to walk an extra minute to the sea, it already takes me five.
    Depends. If we melt enough of the polar ice caps, we might want to find ways to bring the water inland to counter the rising sea levels.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account

Its certainly doable, but would require a ton of resources to the point of being kinda pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Depends. If we melt enough of the polar ice caps, we might want to find ways to bring the water inland to counter the rising sea levels.
    Rising sea levels would mean I am closer to the sea, why would I want to counter that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Apart from changing weather patterns, does anyone predict the impact the added pressure would have?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Put ME and North Africa under the sea sounds good, we could still get the oil.

People realize the Sahara used to be a sea right until the continent moved North. I would not be opposed to this because it would affect Hurricanes that like to form off the coast of Africa and head towards my house in Louisiana lol

Rising sea levels would mean I am closer to the sea, why would I want to counter that?
    At some this might be required to lower the Med sea levels

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    People realize the Sahara used to be a sea right until the continent moved North. I would not be opposed to this because it would affect Hurricanes that like to form off the coast of Africa and head towards my house in Louisiana lol

At some this might be required to lower the Med sea levels
    As recently as a few thousand years ago there were two (maybe more) major lakes in the Sahara; Lake Megafezzan in modern day Libya and Lake Megachad in modern day Chad.