Deleted

Dark and Light - MMORPG coming out in early access later this year (2017)

Dark and Light is a vast sandbox RPG set in a world dominated by powerful elemental forces. Find your way in a meticulously crafted world, featuring breathtaking landscapes, a wide variety of mythical creatures, and limitless possibility to craft, build, and unlock over 100 abilities.

A World of Limitless Magic
    Magic permeates throughout everything Dark and Light, and the line between physical and magical becomes increasingly blurred as the game progresses. There are over 100 magical skills related to survival, exploration, defense, transformation, control, attack, and more. Players can harness the power of the elements to construct buildings, erect a network of portals to transport you all across the continent, and even control the weather. Possibilities aren't just limited to creation and control, however. Players can master important battlefield skills with a magic staff and over 14 different melee and ranged weapons, including bows, swords, daggers, and more. Players can also use magic to forge weapons and create their own legendary equipment.

Awe-Inspiring Mythical Creatures
    Dark and Light features dozens of magical beasts, including dragons, griffins, unicorns, centaurs, goblins, and many, many more. There are also plenty of unique creatures that players have never seen before, and all are native to this planet. All the creatures in the game survived the havoc spread by the destruction of Gaia, and thus are all imbued with incredible magical powers. Players can hunt them for food and clothing, extract their magical essence, or they can choose to tame them and raise them as faithful companions.

Forge a Unique Destiny
    Players and NPCs can all progress through their own growth systems, and players can choose which skills they want their characters to master. These include both physical skills such as speed, endurance, and strength, but can also apply to a character's crafting abilities. Whether a character chooses to be an architect, a mage, or a warrior is all up to them, the combinations of skills and stat builds in Dark and Light are virtually limitless. It is possible to become a master of all skills, but doing so will require tremendous time and effort. In order to develop a strong foundation, players are encouraged to specialize and cooperate with one another throughout their time on Alpha.

Unite and Conquer
    Alpha’s punishing environmental conditions have bested many adventurers who tried to go it alone - players will need to band together to survive. Dark and Light is designed to encourage cooperation at every level; survival, exploration, and combat are all incredibly demanding, and few will be able to fully master their surroundings. This is particularly true in regards to group combat, where supporting and managing a diverse battalion of warriors, mages, trainers, and more will grant you a major advantage in large-scale battles.Players can choose to start in one of three main cities, each one belonging to one of the three ruling factions on Alpha. This community structure is critical in the early stages of the game, when players are relatively weak and need support from others. Your role in the faction becomes increasingly important as you progress through Dark and Light - if you establish your specialty early, it’ll go a long way in helping you contribute to the success of your faction.

True Freedom in an Endless Sandbox
    Dark and Light's sandbox world affords players the freedom to create and build just about anywhere in the world. Whether you want a secret underground base or a fortress atop a massive floating island, if you can reach it, you can build there. As the forces of darkness simmer on the horizon, defending your homestead will become increasingly important. A combination of physical and magic fortifications, including NPCs and tamed creatures, will be necessary for players to defend their land from being engulfed by darkness.

GAMEPLAY VIDEOS:

OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.playdnl.com/
    STEAM PAGE: http://store.steampowered.com/app/52...ark_and_Light/
    Last edited by mmocfee4aa7b34; 2017-07-27 at 09:11 PM.

Seriously. The hell is it with all these Early Access games recently?

Won't hold my breath after the reputation of past Sandbox MMOs or Early Access games personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Seriously. The hell is it with all these Early Access games recently?
    Accepted reality.

"We are running out of money, so we either release a 70-80% ready game and hope we make some cash back and finish it before we flop completely as many other MMOs or call Early Access, make some cash and keep making till we flop or barely survive for years and years"

Despite that game, seems interesting and its really really hard to make ME say that, but i can already see the weird character movement that might turn a lot of people off.

Edit: After reading the explanation seems like another MMOish survival , oh well looked pretty!
    Last edited by potis; 2017-05-07 at 11:46 PM.

It's a survival game, not an mmorpg. Not criticizing, just clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    It's a survival game, not an mmorpg. Not criticizing, just clarifying.
    That makes it even bloody worse. Early Access survival games are all over the place. Most of them are trash and the only half decent one I know of is Subnautica.

Deleted
    Dark and Light is now avalaible on Steam in early access. Here's a good video about this game:

Last edited by mmocfee4aa7b34; 2017-07-27 at 09:12 PM.

Deleted
    Oops sorry for double post. Delete this.

That makes it even bloody worse. Early Access survival games are all over the place. Most of them are trash and the only half decent one I know of is Subnautica.
    7 days to die is pretty decent

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    7 days to die is pretty decent
    Yep. That's why I said most. 7 Days to Die is bloody awesome. So is Subnautica.

I like subnautica to, the exploration is amazing.

7 days to die is more fun for the sandboxing and figuring out ways to kill zombies.

- P
    Last edited by pahbi; 2017-07-27 at 11:27 PM.

Eh, dont take much stock in LazyPeon's vid, he doesnt play survival games like Ark at all and he's generally known for being rather clueless about most games he plays. Best to post a video from folks that actually play these games like April, meaty, Riot and Bikeman

Funny thing to note, almost all the negative reviews are from people who played only an hour or less xD
    Last edited by Throren; 2017-07-28 at 12:31 AM.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    Eh, dont take much stock in LazyPeon's vid, he doesnt play survival games like Ark at all and he's generally known for being rather clueless about most games he plays. Best to post a video from folks that actually play these games like April, meaty, Riot and Bikeman

Funny thing to note, almost all the negative reviews are from people who played only an hour or less xD
    Doesn't he sponsor like every game he plays?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    7 Days to Die is fun especially after U16 but I still find that the AI is still incredibly awful. I spent the better part of the initial 7 days building a base to an underground bunker. Had Miner's TNT carve a angled path down to "bedrock" and used the ramp blocks as a road to the surface but instead of coming down the ramp and meeting my shotgun turrets they instead ran the the highest side, fell, and died.

Literally zero zombies come down the ramp on their own. I have to actually lure them down and hope... hope they don't get caught in this infinite loop of running in circles.

I tried it again on the same level as a medium-size town but instead built a bridge across a narrow river and in to a mountain. Never took the bridge and they spawn point for hordes or 7th nights was always to the side of the mountain not far from where I built so they'd fall in to the open face.

The only way I can get that "last defense" fortress feeling is if I build the most generic structure on ground level.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    Uah that graphics are almost as cool as Skyrim - will try this out when there is some open-beta.

From what I've seen the game looks pretty cool, the graphics and animations are great, VFX as well. Still a lot of bugs (I've seen people walking the the air and getting killed touching their own spiked fences). It's not a MMO yet but over time I guess they could increase the number of players per map after optimizing Unreal and their server tech... and one day, who knows, maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stark View Post
    Doesn't he sponsor like every game he plays?
    Yup, pretty much all the games he praises are ones that he has backed, or ones that are sponsoring him.

He went on a crusade a while ago banning people from his twitch, discord and deleting any comments asking him to disclose how much money he was making off of the shady AoC referral program

Deleted
    This is the other ARK / Rust remake. And really the most advanced of the two competitors D&L and CFwF.

I like it up to now. If you like ARK, and a fantasy setting, this is for you.

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean it looks like Ark
    With dragons and unicorns instead of T-Rex and Triceratops

If you like the genre it might be worth your while

Deleted
    If anyone has tried both this and Citadel: Forged with Fire - which game would you recommend based on the following:

I tend to play these games single player and treat them like Skyrim without the main story. I therefore mostly care about (i) lots of places to explore; (ii) interesting combat vs npcs/monsters; and (iii) awesome base building (purely for fun since no-one will ever besiege me).

Cheers