Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Apparently depression and suicide is on the rise

Why? We live in the best of times, welfare, free healthcare for everyone, little if any big wars, Karl Gustaf and clean drinkable water straight out of the tap.

I don't get it.
    Last edited by mmoc20b0a89b82; 2017-05-08 at 07:59 PM.

I blame CFL energy saving lightbulbs. Just snagged an old incandescent bulb because by energy saver was dying and it's colour is so warm and happy, sort of like being next to a fire place.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    Because we work. We wake up, eat, and go to work. While some enjoy their time there, not that many do. As years pass, more and more is expected of us at work as machines come from behind and do things better. This creates stress. You finish working and go home. You may get 1-2 hours of something, if you're lucky, then go to sleep. That is, unless, of course, you work overtime or work 2 jobs, case in which you come home and sleep.

Then comes the weekend. You're so tired from the week that on the first day you mostly sleep. On the second one you do things around the house, cleaning, buying groceries for next week, some time with loved ones if you have any. And if you have a few hours left, you have some "you" time. This, of course, happens if you don't work in weekends too, case in which there's no break at all.
    Then you repeat. Every week. Every month. Every year. Until you're too old to work anymore, but you're also too old to travel and do what you like anymore.
    You may want to start doing something you like... but hold on... you need time for that, so you'd need to cut from overtime or fully cut second job. But if you do that, you won't have money for your side project that you might like. So, whatever you do, you lack something, time or money.

Again, this does not apply to anyone. But the middle class is shrinking in many countries in favour of the poor class. The distance between the rich and the poor is increasing.

Why would people be happy when they're just hamsters on wheels? At first it's new and interesting, but once you realize that's most of what it is and that you'll spend your entire life there... life itself loses meaning. If we focus on USA or some countries with high university/healthcare cost, it's even worse for you actually can't quit your job unless you want to end up in the streets, as the banks will take everything. For other countries, mostly EU ones, this doesn't apply, but the other problems still do.

Once again country music answers our questions.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

It is because our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.

Someone else mentioned this and knows more, but it might have to do with increasing social atomization and dis-cohesion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Because we work. We wake up, eat, and go to work. While some enjoy their time there, not that many do. As years pass, more and more is expected of us at work as machines come from behind and do things better. This creates stress. You finish working and go home. You may get 1-2 hours of something, if you're lucky, then go to sleep. That is, unless, of course, you work overtime or work 2 jobs, case in which you come home and sleep.

Then comes the weekend. You're so tired from the week that on the first day you mostly sleep. On the second one you do things around the house, cleaning, buying groceries for next week, some time with loved ones if you have any. And if you have a few hours left, you have some "you" time. This, of course, happens if you don't work in weekends too, case in which there's no break at all.
    Then you repeat. Every week. Every month. Every year. Until you're too old to work anymore, but you're also too old to travel and do what you like anymore.
    You may want to start doing something you like... but hold on... you need time for that, so you'd need to cut from overtime or fully cut second job. But if you do that, you won't have money for your side project that you might like. So, whatever you do, you lack something, time or money.

Again, this does not apply to anyone. But the middle class is shrinking in many countries in favour of the poor class. The distance between the rich and the poor is increasing.

Why would people be happy when they're just hamsters on wheels? At first it's new and interesting, but once you realize that's most of what it is and that you'll spend your entire life there... life itself loses meaning. If we focus on USA or some countries with high university/healthcare cost, it's even worse for you actually can't quit your job unless you want to end up in the streets, as the banks will take everything. For other countries, mostly EU ones, this doesn't apply, but the other problems still do.
    This sums it all up.

if only i could become a member of the statistics.

and idk what might be causing it. i don't even know if i myself have depression, cause i've never gotten it seen about. if i do, the cause was a bad break up. or, it was the root from which many other things kinda grew.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I blame CFL energy saving lightbulbs. Just snagged an old incandescent bulb because by energy saver was dying and it's colour is so warm and happy, sort of like being next to a fire place.
    It is a good point, ambient lighting conditions causing depression definitely has merit and is often underestimated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Internet memes have been a window in this as so many people make memes about wanting to commit suicide.

Of course it is.

People need a purpose besides cheap thrills and paying the bills. Very hard to find in this day and age.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Internet memes have been a window in this as so many people make memes about wanting to commit suicide.
    i think this is what it is, honestly.

i don't think it's that it's happening more than usual, i think it's that it's more visible. people are less likely to hide their issue now days, ironic humor pushes it into light, shit like that.

Income Inequality
    Simple as that. Many lower income people both left and right feel that there isn't any real hope no chance at an "American Dream" and they will be working the same dead end jobs the rest of their life, if they are lucky enough to have a job. In these conditions it pretty easy to be depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Revik View Post
    It is because our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
    One of my favorite scenes in Fight Club.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    if only i could become a member of the statistics.

and idk what might be causing it. i don't even know if i myself have depression, cause i've never gotten it seen about. if i do, the cause was a bad break up. or, it was the root from which many other things kinda grew.
    Go get help. If you want to be a part of the statistic, then you probably need help. It's not even anything to be ashamed of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post

doesnt change the fact things have got became easier. every generation is better off than the one before it by a large margin. one could say we baby our children more now than ever and they get fewer chances to overcome adversity and learn the lessons from that but on the other hand a lot of those experiences are traumatic and can cause mental disorders that manifest later in life. im a true believer in there is less rape, murder, drug use, and crime in general than there was in the 80s and things have got a whole lot better so i dont know why those numbers would be higher other than we are better at recognizing and diagnosing these problems.

also try to imagine living 1000-2000years ago and realizing you are on the hamster wheel. talk about a horrible life with nothing to do. eating alone took working hours a day. be thankful for what you have and what others before went thru for you to have it. yes life sucks when you look at it the wrong way so fucking stop looking at it that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Entyice View Post
    Income Inequality
    Simple as that. Many lower income people both left and right feel that there isn't any real hope no chance at an "American Dream" and they will be working the same dead end jobs the rest of their life, if they are lucky enough to have a job. In these conditions it pretty easy to be depressed.
    you really think things were better 1000 years ago? cmon now stop being a

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Go get help. If you want to be a part of the statistic, then you probably need help. It's not even anything to be ashamed of.
    i don't think i'll ever do that.

i also doubt i'll ever have the guts to join the others, sadly. i'm kinda holding out hope we'll make a scientific breakthrough on the issue of the afterlife first, so i know i'm not making everything worse for myself. feeling really, really bad vs. feeling really really bad while potentially living your worst possible nightmare in some hellscape... it's kind of a common sense issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    Why? We live in the best of times, welfare, free healthcare for everyone, little if any big wars, Karl Gustaf and clean drinkable water straight out of the tap.

I don't get it.
    The coming generations will have worse lives than the baby boomers. They fucked everything and left the bill for those that follow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone is stealing my life energy and I can not figure out who.

Deleted
    Anime is still not real.