Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hellboy Reboot In The Works With Stranger Things Star

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/he...GSS-05-10aac1b

The Hellboy series might be coming back--but with some major changes.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, film company Millennium is in talks to reboot the series with a new lead and director. The report said Stranger Things star David Harbour could play the demon Hellboy, with The Descent and Game of Thrones veteran Neil Marshall reportedly in discussions to direct. Hellboy creator Mike Mignola confirmed those details on Facebook, adding that the film will be rated R.
    The new Hellboy film is reportedly in the works under the working title Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen, with a script written by Andrew Cosby and Christopher Golden, while Mignola, is also on the writing team.

Ron Perlman has played Hellboy in the two previous films, 2004's Hellboy and 2008's Hellboy II: The Golden Army, both of which were directed by Guillermo del Toro. The pair are reportedly not involved whatsoever in the reboot.

Earlier this year, del Toro said he spoke with Mignola and Perlman and it was decided that the director would not be involved in a third movie.

In 2015, del Toro explained that part of the problem came down to the budget. "The hard fact is that the movie's going to need about $120 million and there's nobody knocking down our doors to give it to us," he admitted during a Television Critic's Association Q&A.

Hellboy first appeared in 1993, and has featured in a wide variety of regular comic books, miniseries, one-shots, and crossovers since then, published by Dark Horse Comics.
    Consider me highly interested.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    @Endus

new avatars for you

Deleted
    If Neil Marshall is involved, i'm interested, because it'll be brutal.

A shame that Del Toro is dropping out, but its understandable, he wants to put his own twist on things, same as he did with the Hobbit, and unfortunately for him, his twist doesn't usually bring in a lot of extra profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will be odd to see a Hellboy movie without Perlman or del Toro, but I love everything Hellboy so I am interested to see what could come from this.

I like that actor but I find it hard to accept anyone other than Ron Perlman, he really owned that role.

I'd hope for something closer to the comics but I think there's fat chance of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I love Del Toro's work, he was always a bit of an odd fit with Hellboy. The first was near-perfect, but the second, as good as it was, visually strayed a little further from classic Hellboy. It was very Del Toro, but that's almost too "busy" for Hellboy; the art in the comics tends to the sparse and minimalist, rather than the rich and detailed, getting more out of suggestion and shadow than a lot of comics.

There's a simplicity to the art and use of restricted palettes of color that give Hellboy a pretty distinct look;

I'm a big fan of the art, and while I also like Del Toro's work, I just felt it wasn't a perfect match, particularly when the 2nd film went full Del Toro (the first was very faithful).

I don't have any clue how they're replacing Perlman, though. That was some of the most perfect casting I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    @Endus

new avatars for you
    Noooope. I'm a purist. Mignola's art for avatar/sig.

Which isn't a negative statement towards the films. I'm just a big fan of Mignola's work.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-05-09 at 04:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, with the second it feels like they said let's give Guillermo more license since he's more proven than this weird comic book thingy. Not necessarily the smartest choice(if you wanted fans on board) as Guillermo has a very distinctive style that was apparent in the 2nd more than the first.
    Yeah, I added a spoiler-free page from the comic to my earlier post as an example. A lot of Hellboy is oddly peaceful and contemplative, which is great IMO. Del Toro's usual style is more frenetic and packed with detail, that overwhelms. Which is good in its own way, it just wasn't very Hellboy-esque. The second film was more "Hellboy enters Pan's Labyrinth" as a crossover than a straight-up Hellboy film.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, I added a spoiler-free page from the comic to my earlier post as an example. A lot of Hellboy is oddly peaceful and contemplative, which is great IMO. Del Toro's usual style is more frenetic and packed with detail, that overwhelms. Which is good in its own way, it just wasn't very Hellboy-esque. The second film was more "Hellboy enters Pan's Labyrinth" as a crossover than a straight-up Hellboy film.
    Maybe it'll free him up to do Pacific Rim 2: The hunt for the shoe.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, Del Toro has a very distinct visual style, and while I do love it, you could tell that the Troll Market scene in Hellboy 2 was just him going absolutely bonkers at being given free reign on something.

That's a shame, I've been holding out hope for a third film with the original cast for quite some time.

Del Toro and Perlman really wanted to do a third one. Studio said there was no money in Hellboy and put an end to it. Now they pull this shit, get some new people to do the movie instead? Fuck them, I ain't supporting this shit just on principle. Hope it fails, hard.

Just what we need, more reboots.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    The first one with Perlman was good, the second one not so much. Like Indiana Jones there needs to be nazis for it to be good.

I like the stranger things actor but I loved Ron Perlman and it would be weird for me to see someone else

I know nothing of Hellboy but felt the first movie suffered from a b quality. The second was 2 hours of nonsense because they could have had her kill herself at the beginning. I kept thinking, why not kill yourself? And when she did, why'd you wait so long? You could have saved everyone from running around for 2 hours. Hopefully it'll be better this time.
    Last edited by dextersmith; 2017-05-09 at 04:29 PM.

No del toro No Perlman no me.

Deleted
    New posters, better be a trailer soon...since it's comiccon in ny...

Huh. Character looks very good.

10+ Year Old Account
    The character design is great. Harbour looks fantastic.

They've just gotta nail the humour, without going grimdark. It's a comic that gave us panels like this;

And perhaps the best one out of context, this sequence;

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Huh. Character looks very good.
    I just noticed he has grown out horns in one poster.