Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Best Year for Video Games

After seeing and hearing about how many good games have come out this year it made me think that this could be the best year for video games since...

...and then I thought 'what was the best year for video games'.

I gave this some thought to think what was the best year for video games and after researching and knowing from my own personal experience I got to say 1998 was, especially considering the amount of video games I owned from then.

First I look at the games I owned back then....

Half Life
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Grim Fandango
    Balders Gate
    Banjo Kazooie
    Starcraft
    F-Zero 64
    Body Harvest
    Marvel v Capcom

And then the games I don't own but also came out this year.

Soul Caliber
    Tomb Raider 3
    Metal Gear Solid
    Resident Evil 2
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus

Do you disagree? what was the best year for video games in your opinion?
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-05-10 at 03:14 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I'd say when turn based rpgs were hot in the snes and psx era.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I gave this some thought to think what was the best year for video games and after researching and knowing from my own personal experience I got to say 1998 was,
    Fallout 2, Battlezone, Half life, unreal.

I don't think there was a better year though I remember Half life 2 being released in a particularly good year also, 2004 I think.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is there a new mgs comming out? :O

Edit:

Metal Gear Survive, due on PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One, takes place in an alternate timeline set after Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, the prequel to Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. The trailer hints that familiar characters like Big Boss could return, although there’s no confirmation yet.

Running on the Fox Engine, Survive will pit up to four players against zombified enemies against whom they'll have to — well, survive. Like previous Metal Gear games, they'll have to be stealthy about it; a press release also confirms "new weaponry" will be at players' disposal. We'll learn more about the game this week at Gamescom, which kicks off today. Polygon is reporting live from the annual European gaming convention.

The online multiplayer game is the first in the series to be produced without any involvement from its creator, Hideo Kojima. He parted ways with the developer early last year, ahead of The Phantom Pain’s release. He's since moved on to head up his own studio and is working on the game Death Stranding. A teaser for the project, which is very early in development, premiered at E3 2016.
    Oh nvm fuck that.
    Last edited by Rascal Bob; 2017-05-10 at 01:06 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best year for games is the current year, nothing stopping you from playing games that were released in prior years.

1998 Way too much to list but big hitters like Starcraft/Ocarina/Banjo Kazooie
    2004 WOW/Metroid Prime 2
    2002 Metroid Prime/WC3
    1994 Super Metroid/Earthworm Jim/DKC/Doom 2/Megaman X/Mortal Kombat 2/Killer Instinct

I seem to value releases of Metroid over other nintendo products. Also Blizzard and rareware projects made certain years notable for me

7+ Year Old Account
    1991 was a good year -

Neverwinter Nights
    Street Fighter II
    Super Mario World
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past (Japan)
    Road Rash
    Lemmings
    Final Fantasy II (IV in Japan)
    Civilization
    Monkey Island 2

I probably wouldn't put it as best of all time, but it was a ridiculously strong year, and featured a lot of games I still love to this day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could argue below was the last year PC dominated gaming and I saw it as the last remaining part of the golden era.

WoW
    Half Life 2
    Halo 2 - Not a PC exclusive or even multiplat until sometime later, but it's legendary
    Doom 3
    Far Cry
    Counter-Strike Source

Multiplat/console exclusives

UT2K4
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Kotor 2
    Fable
    Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
    VTM: Bloodlines - insanely buggy, but still mentioned.
    CoD 2 - when it was an amazing WW2 FPS that focused on the campaign.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-05-10 at 04:39 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Every year is pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Every year is pretty good.
    I beg to differ, but it's all subjective opinion.

That topic would ignite this thread with a conversational fire the likes of which Muad'Dib never saw when summoning the sand worm army.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    probably 1998 or 2000

check this interesting user based list https://www.senscritique.com/jeuxvideo/tops/top111
    ignore the top 3 it's always newer hyped games that goes down over time

Instead of looking at which video games came out that year, I think another way of looking at it is to see which console/hardware was released that let new types of games emerge.

With that line of thinking, probably when the Wii came out, since sooooooooooooooooooo many people bought it, even normies, that was probably the best year for video games.

Otherwise I might pick whenever a console came out that let 3D games be possible. No idea what year that would be.

2015 witcher 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    1990: Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy, The Secret of Monkey Island, River City Ransom, Wing Commander

1991: Super Mario World, Final Fantasy II, Sonic the Hedgehog, Lemmings, Street Fighter II

1992: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Wolfenstein 3D, Mortal Kombat, Kirby's Dream Land

1993: Myst, Star Fox, Doom, Kirby's Adventure, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Virtua Fighter, Shining Force

1994: Final Fantasy III, Super Metroid, Phantasy Star IV, Tekken, Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man X, Sonic & Knuckles

1995: Chrono Trigger, EarthBound, Yoshi's Island, Panzer Dragoon, Rayman, Full Throttle

1996: Super Mario 64, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Resident Evil, Quake, Dragon Force, Crash Bandicoot

1997: Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, GoldenEye 007, Fallout, PaRappa the Rapper, Age of Empires

1998: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Red/Blue, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Metal Gear Solid, Half-Life

1999: Final Fantasy VIII, Sonic Adventure, Planescape: Torment, SoulCalibur, Suikoden II, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Silent Hill

2000: Perfect Dark, Diablo II, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Final Fantasy IX, Deus Ex, Pokemon Gold/Silver

2001: Halo: Combat Evolved, Grand Theft Auto III, Final Fantasy X, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Silent Hill II

2002: Metroid Prime, Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

2003: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Call of Duty, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, SoulCalibur II, Final Fantasy X-2, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

2004: World of Warcraft, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Tales of Symphonia, Half-Life 2

2011: Portal 2, Dark Souls, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Gears of War 3, Mortal Kombat

2015: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Fallout 4, Undertale, Rocket League

My personal choice would be 1994 (FF3, Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country are all among my top 10 games ever, with SM being #1), followed closely by 1998. If we see the impact of the games today, 1998 is the clear, objective winner. Almost every game that comes out today aspires to the greats that came out back then.

If we are counting consoles, the release of the SNES, PS, PS2 and N64 are the biggest landmarks.

2017 is also proving to be one for the history books.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-05-10 at 09:21 PM.

All time? Not sure

Last decade? 2017 may take that spot, haven't said something like that in a while, but with games like
    Nioh
    Horizon
    Persona 5
    Zelda
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    Splatoon 2
    Shadow of War
    Call of Duty World War 2
    Mario Odyssey
    Xenoblade 2
    Battlefront 2
    Destiny 2

Just wow.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    After seeing and hearing about how many good games have come out this year it made me think that this could be the best year for video games since...

...and then I thought 'what was the best year for video games'.

I gave this some thought to think what was the best year for video games and after researching and knowing from my own personal experience I got to say 1998 was, especially considering the amount of video games I owned from then.

First I look at the games I owned back then....

Half Life
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Grim Fandango
    Balders Gate
    Banjo Kazooie
    Starcraft
    F-Zero 64
    Body Harvest
    Marvel v Capcom

And then the games I don't own but also came out this year.

Soul Caliber
    Tomb Raider 3
    Metal Gear Solid
    Resident Evil 2
    Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus

Do you disagree? what was the best year for video games in your opinion?
    I thought 2004 was universally accepted as one of the best lineups in gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    All time? Not sure

Last decade? 2017 may take that spot, haven't said something like that in a while, but with games like
    Nioh
    Horizon
    Persona 5
    Zelda
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    Splatoon 2
    Shadow of War
    Call of Duty World War 2
    Mario Odyssey
    Xenoblade 2
    Battlefront 2
    Destiny 2

Just wow.
    MK8 isnt a new game, Cod ww2 isnt even out yet, BF2 isnt out yet, Destiny 2 isnt out yet.

No idea, I don't really keep track of stuff like that, but since I couldn't make myself care about anything else this year other than Zelda (which I'm hesitant to buy a new console for), I'm not quite seeing the historic impact of 2017 personally.

15+ Year Old Account
    98 > 2017 > 04

Nier and persona 5 within a month of each other was just incredible. Had kh3 came out this year I'd probably say 2017 was yoatat, sorry zeldat, yooka, dicks oak and solid sneak.

1997 was pretty good. Some top examples.

Final Fantasy 7, GoldenEye, Gran Turismo, Tekken 3, Mario Kart 64, Quake 2, Age of Empires, Grand Theft Auto.

You have some of the most relevant landmark titles of the Playstation, 2 of which were the best selling titles on the console. As for the N64 Goldeneye was revolutionary and was only outsold by Mario Kart 64 (another title from this year) and Mario 64. On the PC they are strong titles but overshadowed by the later installments, still very important.

I think at least in console gaming you could argue 1997 was the best year, but for the PC things came later.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I thought 2004 was universally accepted as one of the best lineups in gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

MK8 isnt a new game, Cod ww2 isnt even out yet, BF2 isnt out yet, Destiny 2 isnt out yet.
    Perhaps if I said the "most potential" you would be happier.

Something doesn't have to be new, mk8d came out this year, with new characters, improvements, and some neat QoL fixes, it is a 2017 release, and it is great.
    Most of the games on here aren't out yet, but they all have loads of potential and most of them come from pretty popular or beloved franchises.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.