Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    WoW is not old school. Vanilla WoW built on an old-school style and base, but deliberately shifted away from a lot of the old school grind and mechanics to try and make a game which would appeal to a broader audience than just the old-school MMO gamers.

WoW has also re-invented itself multiple times; the style of gameplay, of classes, of instances... pretty much everything has been pretty heavily revised at least once. Even if Vanilla WoW was an old-school MMO, which I would debate, it certainly is not one any more.

Edit: Though, it does depend on your definition of old school... and a bunch of other things, really.
    Last edited by darkwarrior42; 2017-05-11 at 08:41 AM.

Deleted
    Aye. Let's call a spade a spade.

Quote Originally Posted by lokoma View Post
    I consider wow to be a old school mmo this is an argument i get into a lot when talking about wow i mostly get roasted about it by everquest players
    if i'm wrong feel free to set me straight.
    I suppose the answer to your question is very subjective. I mean in terms of how long its been in the MMO genre; it is an old school MMO. But WoW, with all its updates and the introduction of features such as guilds, graphic improvements etc. has upgraded to the new school IMO. People might disagree but this is strictly IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by lokoma View Post
    I consider wow to be a old school mmo this is an argument i get into a lot when talking about wow i mostly get roasted about it by everquest players
    if i'm wrong feel free to set me straight.
    technically speaking it is:
    -Use tab targetting mostly abandoned for the shitty action
    -Use a classical skillset instead of the current 3 abilities and combos most games have
    -Have the trinity (tank/healer/dps) most modern game don't have (a shame imho)
    -Classic classes
    -Gear treadmill
    -Questing structure
    -Zones structure
    -Dungeons/Raids

And many more thing that thanks good are still there and imho contribute to it still being the king, FFXIV still follow almost the same scheme and is second best mmo, the other ftp and dying.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

It is definitely old school. The MMORPG genre itself is old school genre. It's not as old school as Ultima but it's still old as shit, that's why no new young people come anywhere need it (in any numbers worth mentioning).
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

7+ Year Old Account
    It is to some extent, cuz the new ones are insane in terms of graphics, whereas wow lacks much in it, making it old school type!
    - says Ralph

Not really...

Quote Originally Posted by JemiS View Post
    No. WoW is somewhere between mid- and new-school MMO.

UO is true old school, followed closely by EQ.

WoW came on the scene 5 years after EQ started, and was predominately developed by ex-EQ raiders who wanted to make something more streamlined and casual.

With that came broader appeal (as well as the fact that gaming as a whole was becoming more accepted), but that doesn't make it old school.You should get roasted by EQ/OU players for calling WoW old school.

WoW was a joke among most of the current MMO community when it came out for both the question mark style questing, the on-the-rails story, and the cartoonish looks. Lots of references to it as an MMO for kids.

It's why when people talk about the "glory days" of vanilla WoW, it's usually pretty obvious that WoW was their first MMO, and that's great. Your first MMO is a completely unique experience. But to players coming from a more developed MMO? Vanilla WoW players were the equivalent of "Wrath Babies" to Vanilla WoW players.
    Well, pretty much this o_O

Deleted
    The answer to this is going to differ depending on who you're asking, as is apparent. I mean it started in 2004, I guess that alone makes it old school for some.

As for me, Old School means UO, DAoC, SWG, etc. They came earlier, I played them first. For me, Old School means; pkilling, loss of xp and/or inventory on death, non-instanced raids of up to 200 people, training mobs to zone boundaries, camping spawns that make the Time Lost Proto Drake seem like a Broken Shore "rare" by comparison.

YMMV, of course.