Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Whitelist Notification Feedback

Hello, everyone! This week, we're trying out a different AdBlock whitelisting request notification. This is something you can easily dismiss, and it'll appear every few days as a reminder that whitelisting really helps us out.

We're aware ads can sometimes be a frustrating experience, but - realistically - they are our main revenue source and necessary for us to remain online. Please know that we want you to have a positive experience on the site, and if you do decide to whitelist us, you should have a lighter ad experience.

No matter how you may feel, your feedback on this notification is greatly appreciated. We'll be reading it all and passing it along to everyone on our team.

FAQ

Why don't you manually moderate all your ads?
    Honestly, we would love to be able to do that - but the fact is it's just not possible to manually check the tens of thousands of ads you might see. If you ever experience a bad ad on our site, please let us know right away. We will have it removed immediately - seriously.

Do you allow autoplay audio ads?
    No - we dislike them as much as you. However, sometimes one may occasionally slip through the cracks. As soon as an autoplay audio ad is reported, it's removed as quickly as possible. This is the same for ads that redirect on mobile.

Do you have malicious ads?
    It's very unlikely that an ad displaying on a page will give you a virus. If you ever click an ad, get redirected, and think you've received a virus, please let us know.

Can I just have some kind of membership with no ads?
    This is something we are definitely talking about. If you feel this way, please leave that as a point of feedback. Your comments are heard, and your opinions could help direct the future of the site.

My adblocker shows that it is blocking eleventy million ads!?
    This is the number of requests blocked, not actual ads. There are usually around 3-5 ads on a page.
    Last edited by chaud; 2017-05-11 at 04:58 PM.

Here is my greatly appreciated feedback, its fucking bullshit, turn it off.

As many others have said, until there stops being 20+ blocked adds per page it's not gonna' happen, for reference, here's @Sigma's pic from the other thread:

As for the notification, it honestly doesn't bother me. It's one click to dismiss it, it was before, too. I think most of the hate is coming from the fact you're asking whilst knowing you have a shit-load of ads on the page.

I'm sure some would love to have a one-time or monthly donation to go add-free, though. But I doubt it'd be enough people to cover the loss of ads for the entire site.

E:
    Just for a bit of a "warning", I and no doubt many others have all-but stopped using Wowhead purely because of their cancerous ads that get through adblock. That kind of thing can kill your site. Avoid it.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-05-11 at 04:45 PM.

Deleted
    I have no issue with a whitelist notification if its easily dismissable and not hugely intrusive.

The new version is even more obnoxious than the last version. My adblocker is now blocking that as well. You want me to whitelist your site? Stop annoying me with your obtrusive ads. Your site is not that special.

And you can't be serious with that autoplay comment. The fact I have to report such an ad is the reason the site is blocked in the first place. I'm not gonna do your goddamn job. Until you do yours, your ads are blocked.

It takes just ONE malicious advertisement to kill my machine, so until you get 100% guarantee that your ad servers don't deliver one.

Do you allow autoplay audio ads?
    Same thing - one ad at 3am that blurts out some stupid jingle...

Can I just have some kind of membership with no ads?

Suggestion - take a leaf out of Blizzard's book. PAY TO WIN

Let members buy:
    1. Special badges (from a list) $5/year
    2. Cutsom titlles (from a list) $2/year
    3. Animated avatars (from a list) $10/year
    4. Custom animated avatars (member design) $20/year
    5. Extra size/space on sig (variable)
    6. Relevant static advertising in sig (same size/space rules) (variable)
    7. Buy back an infraction ($20 each - max 3/year)

then

Turn off almost all your advertising, leave some space for static adverts purchasable directly off you by vendors, companies etc.

etc
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2017-05-11 at 04:41 PM.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I also find it interesting that this thread will not show up on the front page. Way to go trying to silencing and shift the light off of this topic.

edit:
    Filters, that big green button under the recent threads... never noticed it there before.
    I stand corrected, this thread is showing on the front page. My apologies.
    Last edited by LongTimeCreeper; 2017-05-11 at 05:17 PM. Reason: I was wrong

Reposting this.
    Quote Originally Posted by micwini
    Bump. Today I got an even more obnoxious whitelist notification, popping up in the middle of my screen and was not able to navigate the site until I clicked it away.

Remove this crap.
    Sorry for the harsh language, but this may be the only way my point can come across to you.

We have provided you feedback. There's even another thread about why people use Adblock and gave specific examples of how and why they DON'T WANT TO whitelist MMO-C.

Let me write it down for you one more time:
    1. The advertisements on this site are obnoxious, flashy and sometimes even play sound at will.
    2. Most of the ads carry malware with them. It's not a secret anymore that even not clicking an advertisement can cause problems for you and your computer.
    3. You don't control your own advertisements. At least I don't think you do, because I wouldn't believe that you would try to infect our devices with malicious software on purpose.

Please regulate which advertisements are put onto the site.
    Please don't allow for malicious, flashy or any other type of annoying advertisements on your site.
    Please consider removing the whitelist notification. It is just as obnoxious as any other advertisement that is on this site.

Thanks
    Few points to add:

- I don't expect you to look through millions of ads. Just pick a few and stick with those. Put them on a rotation. This also guarantees that they will not have anything obnoxious(flashy/sound) or contain malware.

- [harsh] Piss off. "Can I have a membership so I don't have ads is not a FAQ". Have you checked the results of that shady poll yet? I mean, sure some people might have voted for that option, but it sure as hell has never been ASKED for.

- There is already another thread discussing why people use adblock in general en specifically for this sight. Some interesting thoughts which I also mentioned in my post that I quoted, but there's a lot more to it. Check that stuff out if you haven't already.

- Stop bothering people with the whitelist notification. The one that is active now is even more intrusive than the first one you had. Not only is this very annoying, you're amplifying the idea that you actually support the obnoxious advertisements you have up on this site.
    Last edited by micwini; 2017-05-11 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added another bulletpoint

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    I also find it interesting that this thread will not show up on the front page. Way to go trying to silencing and shift the light off of this topic.
    LOL - of course it won't - you have the forum filters on the front page turned off for this group.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Hello, everyone! This week, we're trying out a different AdBlock whitelisting request notification. This is something you can easily dismiss, and it'll appear every few days as a reminder that whitelisting really helps us out.
    When told that the previous whitelist notification was freaking annoying what do you guys do? Double down and put in an even WORSE one. You are kidding me. Many of us will NEVER whitelist this site because you guys have a track history of providing malware through ads, LOUD as hell ads, ads that block everything, ads that take a minute to load and cause frustration and so on.

You say yourselves you can't even manually moderate your own ads so there is a RISK if anyone was to whitelist you. Sorry but I'm not risking my computer so you can make a fraction of a penny per my visit. Be honest. How much do you guys REALLY make per user in a month? I imagine it is pennies on the dollar and if that is the case I'd rather just donate a dollar here and there to have ads totally gone from this site.

- - - Updated - - -

It's very unlikely that an ad displaying on a page will give you a virus. If you ever click an ad, get redirected, and think you've received a virus, please let us know.
    Also, there has been at least TWO separate occasions where malware has been delivered through mmo-champ that I'm aware of and I'd not be shocked if it were more. That is two too many. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Also, there has been at least TWO separate occasions where malware has been delivered through mmo-champ that I'm aware of and I'd not be shocked if it were more. That is two too many. Period.
    Not just malware, the amount of requests on this site for advertising and tracking information slows the site down to a crawl.

And you can't be serious with that autoplay comment. The fact I have to report such an ad is the reason the site is blocked in the first place. I'm not gonna do your goddamn job. Until you do yours, your ads are blocked.
    No kidding, some of those comments were unreal. They are the ones wanting to make money off of us yet can't be bothered to provide a totally safe environment. Not happening. Ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Not just malware, the amount of requests on this site for advertising and tracking information slows the site down to a crawl.
    Yup I've heard people struggling to load these pages that could take over a minute or more and sometimes you just get auto-redirected to some other page. Fun times.

I wouldn't ever want to try to load this page on a phone, I've heard the horror stories from that too.

I wouldn't pay for a premium account just to post on the forum. I don't think enough people would do it that you should even consider doing that.

I wouldn't mind keeping ads on my phone or tablet, but on my desktop I'd continue blocking. I just feel like my desktop is too important and strong to not safeguard.

And that whitelist notification thing is pointless. You know I already use like 4+ adblocks, having instructions to remove each one is too much of a disconnect for that to be effective to make people actually stop using adblock. It had to have been a "click this button and we'll whitelist the site automatically" type of thing. But it's not possible to make that.

I would pay for an ad-free experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    I would pay for an ad-free experience.
    You could just, you know, get adblock? Takes literally less than one minute to install.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    You could just, you know, get adblock? Takes literally less than one minute to install.
    I do have adblock. I'd like to support the site but am not going to deal with a million ads.

Addblock on work pc so my boss decides not me, Addblock on pc at home ... well too much crap came from adds here including annyoing sounds and light flashes.

Cheap subscriptions might work, seems to work for askmrrobot etc aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by: YourHeroVir
    When Blizzard says they're going to fix a class they don't mean fix it like a handyman would fix a broken TV, they mean fix it like a veterinarian would fix a dog.

Deleted
    I will sooner gauge my eyes out and have my fingernails removed with rusty pliers than ever white list MMO-Champ. No seriously, this side was the reason I got adblock in the first place.

Your side is filled with an INSANE ammount of ads, often extremly intrusive and annoying ones to the point where without adblock it's a horrendously miserable experience. That isn't even accounting for that you regularly had bad ads of all kinds happily handing out malware. It reminds me of Forbes demanding people turn it off, then promptly giving them a worm.

It is there. Either it hasn't been posted in recently or you are filtering it out. If I didn't want feedback I would just delete every post about it...

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Turn off almost all your advertising, leave some space for static adverts purchasable directly off you by vendors, companies etc.
    Not financially viable unfortunately.

- I don't expect you to look through millions of ads. Just pick a few and stick with those. Put them on a rotation. This also guarantees that they will not have anything obnoxious(flashy/sound) or contain malware.
    Unfortunately this wouldn't remotely make enough for us to stay operational.

- [harsh] Piss off. "Can I have a membership so I don't have ads is not a FAQ". Have you checked the results of that shady poll yet? I mean, sure some people might have voted for that option, but it sure as hell has never been ASKED for.
    The reason I ran the poll is people have asked for it for years. Not a ton, but a significant amount of people were interested in it and voted to indicate so.

Not financially viable unfortunately.
    It was meant to be in combination with you selling cosmetic advantages on the site ... not to be taken in isolation.

According to your summary line at the bottom:

"There are currently 11324 users online. 858 members and 10466 guests"

Turning off standard served advertising for ALL members would barely make a dent in your totals.
    Then adding cosmetic advantages via purchase for members - and bingo, something to cover for members.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2017-05-11 at 05:08 PM.