Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Wild West Online officially revealed - New MMORPG in the style of Red Dead Redemption

Many fans on the Grand Theft Auto forum were hoping that a leaked image showing a cowboy hat wearing dude was a teaser for Red Dead Redemption 2. While not from that game, the image comes as great news for MMO fans in the form of Wild West Online, an open world PvP extravaganza being built for PC. Developers of WWO have plans to reveal much, much more about the game in about two weeks when they will bring their project to a $250k KickStarter.

The core of the game is already underway at 612 Games with the KickStarter funds being used to "secure extra funding" for more expansive features.

Here's what we know so far:

• player gangs will either break or defend the law
    • seamless open world using server shards for "a few hundred" players each
    • the comparison to Red Dead Redemption is intentional
    • players can specialize as gatherers such as prospectors, farmers, etc. and will live in resource-themed camps
    • player driven economy
    • crafting by finding and learning recipes
    • story, character and gameplay driven
    • murder isn't the only way to break the law
    • bandit lifestyle, for instance, provides opportunities for bank robberies, stealing from other players' camps or in town, etc.
    • no NPC combat, just PvP engagement at the onset
    • survival themes may be borrowed
    • stretch goals will add things like train robberies, etc.
    • slated for a hopeful late 2017 release
    Link to full article: http://www.mmorpg.com/news/wild-west...pvp-1000044211

Big news for this MMO: The studio secured enough funding that Kickstarter/Steam Early Access won't be necessary for Wild West Online.

Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/th.../1100-6450106/
    Last edited by mmocfee4aa7b34; 2017-07-10 at 07:55 PM.

Deleted
    I said it years ago, what the MMO scene needs is a wild west game using the same core game mechanics of EVE Online. Somewhere in my post history is a more detailed explanation of it, but I'm not going to go looking for it.

Actually, finding my earlier post was easier than I thought...
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post16599406
    Last edited by mmoc8d1df16656; 2017-05-12 at 02:20 PM.

... I- I never knew I needed this in my life until right now.

I HAVE A MIGHTY NEED!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    See here's the thing... My first thought on seeing this was GIMMIE! I NEED NOW!

But then the cynical fucker that's spent too long on a variety of MMO's just HAD to chip in his 2c, and he made a pretty convincing argument.

Essentially: In any game where you can be whatever you want, do whatever you want, MAYBE 5% of the people will treat this with the respect it deserves, you'll get some keen sales types setting up a retail empire, you'll have the SIMS addict setting up a nice little house somewhere, spending their time farming and tending the land...

Then you'll have the unwashed hordes, AKA the other 95% of the gaming base descend like a horde of locusts, "playing" as cowboys and bandits, spending the majority of their time running around doing their hardest to destroy every single thing they set their sights on.

Unless there is a definite and harsh punishment for breaking the "Law" you will always find the majority of people on these sorts of games tend towards the destructive, and while the concept of this game is amazing, and I would genuinely love to sink a vast portion of my time online into something like this... I can only see this ending as a giant clusterfuck trollfest.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see a lot of troll/bullshitery coming in this game.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    See here's the thing... My first thought on seeing this was GIMMIE! I NEED NOW!

But then the cynical fucker that's spent too long on a variety of MMO's just HAD to chip in his 2c, and he made a pretty convincing argument.

Essentially: In any game where you can be whatever you want, do whatever you want, MAYBE 5% of the people will treat this with the respect it deserves, you'll get some keen sales types setting up a retail empire, you'll have the SIMS addict setting up a nice little house somewhere, spending their time farming and tending the land...

Then you'll have the unwashed hordes, AKA the other 95% of the gaming base descend like a horde of locusts, "playing" as cowboys and bandits, spending the majority of their time running around doing their hardest to destroy every single thing they set their sights on.

Unless there is a definite and harsh punishment for breaking the "Law" you will always find the majority of people on these sorts of games tend towards the destructive, and while the concept of this game is amazing, and I would genuinely love to sink a vast portion of my time online into something like this... I can only see this ending as a giant clusterfuck trollfest.
    It will be a clusterfuck trollfest. In an anonymous world, where being bad is everyones instant desire, you need to make the rewards for being good better than the ones for being bad. Like, permanent character death if you get hung. Killed by a cowboy or some Indians, respawn. You need to implement the idea of danger and the benefits of a reward for being a farmer or settler. I don't think it will play out that way, and so we can never have a Wild West simulator MMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    It will be a clusterfuck trollfest. In an anonymous world, where being bad is everyones instant desire, you need to make the rewards for being good better than the ones for being bad. Like, permanent character death if you get hung. Killed by a cowboy or some Indians, respawn. You need to implement the idea of danger and the benefits of a reward for being a farmer or settler. I don't think it will play out that way, and so we can never have a Wild West simulator MMO.
    I think we need to wait for more details about this game before making such a statement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    I don't think it will play out that way, and so we can never have a Wild West simulator MMO.
    Agreed. If they made it so the repercussions of being a troll are sever enough, that MIGHT discourage people... But I doubt they will, because frankly the majority of people who are going to play this game are trolls, IF they made it so troll couldn't troll, the game would bomb.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Another "Trust me this game is fully funded but please spend on our kickstarter"...

Just hear those alarm bells jingling, ring-ting-tingling, too
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    I said it years ago, what the MMO scene needs is a wild west game using the same core game mechanics of EVE Online.
    Fuck, no. EVE Online is an abomination.

Looks awesome, but as it's been said, it will likely be a shit show.

Seems interesting but most kick starter games seem to turn out to be shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anduin Menethil View Post
    Fuck, no. EVE Online is an abomination.
    still better than farming AP.

There is nothing to really talk about other than wishful thinking until the timer counts down and they (hopefully) release some actual pertinent information.

10+ Year Old Account
    still better than farming AP.
    I'd rather farm AP then be so worried I'd be fucked over like in EVE.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I'd rather farm AP then be so worried I'd be fucked over like in EVE.
    You're supposed to learn from it and then become the one fucking over others.
    Last edited by anveena; 2017-05-13 at 07:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh this sounds interesting...

Kickstarter
    .... nevermind, bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

"stretch goals"

rip
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    With this, Ashes of Creation and Star Citizen, surely one of the games has to be good!

Lets hope this is the one kickstarter mmo that does well.

How can a 100% PvP game be story driven?
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.