The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Resto Shaman Help

Hi folks, my guild and I got H Gul'dan down for the second time now last night. Looking at logs I'm doing quite awful (I blame having a migraine, but still). I know there are a few things I can min/max better such as better relics. However I'm looking for some pointers to move in a better direction to help me/my guild succeed (and for me not to get benched for ToS =D).

Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...huzad/jelzaman
    Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/MWqJGNbycPZd4BDL/

Thanks for your time =D

Quote Originally Posted by Drefanator View Post
    Hi folks, my guild and I got H Gul'dan down for the second time now last night. Looking at logs I'm doing quite awful (I blame having a migraine, but still). I know there are a few things I can min/max better such as better relics. However I'm looking for some pointers to move in a better direction to help me/my guild succeed (and for me not to get benched for ToS =D).

Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...huzad/jelzaman
    Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/MWqJGNbycPZd4BDL/

Thanks for your time =D
    Hey OP, So my main is a MW monk and im getting back into healing on my resto shammy so i dont have a bunch of advice for you but theres this new site that goes over logs to help you. Its checkmywow.com and you just put your warcraft logs link into that site and it breaks everything down for you.

GL

Hi, OP! Grats on your Gul'dan kill A heads up, you're logged out as elemental in armory so there's not much to go off there as far as looking at talents/gear/stats/etc.

I do want to mention though, in regards to percentiles in your logs --- in my experience as shaman running with hPriest and rDruid (our core heal team), logs tend to not look super great as far as %percentiles (for the shaman). That's a lot of hots and fast heals rolling out and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm betting your team isn't super low health very often. This is important as far as parsing goes, simply because as rShaman you really shine when health pools get really low and your mastery helps boost your heals.

Looking a bit more at logs, but when you have a chance log out as resto with your gear on so we can see it in armory <3
    Last edited by ellemeno; 2017-05-12 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added info on heal team comp

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Will do, sorry about that should be changed over now. Hopefully.

And ya, you're right about the healing thing. For the most part everything runs pretty smoothly until stuff really hits the fan, It feels like the druid/priest can top off a lot faster and better than I. So other than keeping healing rain out and the odd heal there isnt much to heal until shit starts hitting the fan. We have a fairly small group. And they're all pretty good about not standing in stuff for the most part. And their dps are all for the most part pretty good. So it didnt feel like an issue having 3 heals to make it easier on the heals.

Hey op just glancing at your logs a few things stand out to me, the lack of AG earthen shield totem and cloud burst totem, these 3 talents add a ton of utility and burst healing potential to the shaman class, also it looks like your use of healing rain is reactive, healing rain should be used proactively so it's ticking durng the damage freeing you up to use other heals in conjunction with it. It seems like you're just running the dungeon healing setup aND playstyle in raid. If your team is lacking tank heals or spot heals that fine but if you want HPS you should consider the Hightides chain heal playstyle. That's all I can think of for now gl

Edit: keep in mind that shamans are super versatile and there's nothing wrong with running ascendance in raids as long as you make use of it.
    Last edited by Zedthetank; 2017-05-14 at 07:34 PM.

I would heavily suggest using a cooldown tracker of sorts. It seems like you're not utilizing a lot of your abilities. My most recent H Gul'dan kill I have double the healing of a lot of the abilities you used. Riptide being your main heal makes me think you have a sit back and wait playstyle. Healing requires a lot of active thinking, planning, maximizing CDs and abilities to be truly effective.

Riptide / Chain Heal -> Tidal Wave procs -> Healing Wave should be your focus (your healing done by Healing Surge outweighed what you did with Healing Wave, so makes me think you might have mana issues towards the end of the fight). Always keep healing stream totem rolling and track it's cooldown so you're not wasting it. When people are grouped P1/P2 throw down a Healing Rain, especially right before the fire AoE. Also need to use Gift of the Queen a lot more. You only had 2 casts in a 9 minute fight.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks folks, I'll keep the advice in mind.

I would suggest changing your talent too (Icy-veins has the raid heal talent tree for a base line guide). for raid healing, you really want that chain heal talent at 100 (I can't remember what its called.....) I love ancestral guidance too. great 2min CD, helps manage dmg really well and is amazing when coupled with Cloud burst totem. Speaking of which......
    Cloud burst, cloud burst, cloud burst. Use it wisely, use it often. it is amazing when you learn how to use it and not be over healing. The aim is to know when aoe dmg is coming out, pre prep your cloud burst before the dmg goes out. keep healing to start storing heals into the totem then pop it after the AoE dmg goes out. you can also use it to also soak up huge healing moments too. Play around with it and you will see. its really fun.

Once you get a 4 set - aim to have 100% uptime on healing stream. it actually helps a lot with smoothing minor healings out so you don't waste healing on 90%+ health players. Keep rolling riptide. you can generally keep 3 riptide ticks rolling through the whole fight. Depending on dmg, have riptide on both tanks and use the extra riptide for quick top ups on the move or for tidal wave procing.
    As said above. Use gift of the queen more. The gold trait helps a lot too. its a free mana aoe cast with 10% hp buff. if you are not too sure of the best way to use it, just start practice using it cooldown but casting it onto the tanks. Once you get the timing of aoe dmg and such, move away from just casting it on tanks and prep for that.

Earthen shield totem is also amazing for fights like guldan. Ancestral Vigor is ok, but really doesnt too much overall in raids. Earthen shield becomes a 1 min CD you just use to help reduce dmg to a group. Drop it on melee / tanks and it can do a lot to protect them. but learning how to use it is advised

For stats, as much as mastery is great, bumping stats into it for the sake of doing it isn't great. I recommend getting 25-30% crit, 90-100% mastery and get haste where you can. Although so many people will disagree... generally ilvl beats secondary stats for healers. the raw int just does more work. also, vers is not terrible. I actually like to get some vers in my gear set.

Think of resto shamans as kings of CD. We have so much minor healing CD, use them wisely. Dont forget though, in healing, rankings doesn't matter too much. somtimes your raid just doesnt need as much healing since people aren't taking dmg. high parses are done by cutting healers so things like heroic guldan becomes 3-2 healed for a 20+ group.

P.s. Grats on H Gul'dan kill -- hope this helped -- sorry for long post and all over the place post. At work so i just keep coming back to it.

One final tip. Follow the rule of "Always be cast" Nothing to heal? cast lava burst. low on mana and nothing to heal? Cast lightning bolt! A good healer also helps the raid kill things when there is no healing needed.

Deleted
    Just rerolled from Hpriest to Rshaman, and Cloud burst is the coolest healing spell in the game next to SLT. On Heroic Skorp farm to gear my shaman that had maybe 880 item level I ran Ascendance spamming Chain Heals with Rain and AG during the first burst of aoe, when Cloud burst exploded it was like a fully prepped Light's Wrath on disc priest. Had 1.3m healing with my shitty gear and 41 talents for a little while there.

Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Drefanator View Post
    Thanks folks, I'll keep the advice in mind.
    Hello there, I would advise to not really stress too much about healing logs for several reasons. Number one your raid group was very small, you will only find that the top parses for each difficulty is with groups of usually 20 or higher. For instance, my guild on off nights from mythic runs heroic, when we have 20 plus people with two heals for the last fight we had I am about 730k hps with a 99% for ilvl and overall parse. Now, last week guild only had 11 for heroic with alts, and with basically one heal (other heals was just there for if something odd happened) I was only at a low 92 parse. My point being with lower people= lower overall damage going out ( 20 plus people the dmg that went out was 40% more and around same time for boss to be killed). My overhealing was at 40% for the 11 people and only 20% for the 20 plus people. Dps meters are always straight forward, but healing meters you have to look at all details that would play in your hps.
    With that said, your heals do tend to be low, I can't see what resto legos you have, but your chain heal must be your highest heal on gul'dan. I would also say you need to bring your mastery to around 95-110, with crit at around 30-35, those are hard numbers to get for both, but it can be done. You must get your 4 set since with our current builds the HST does wonders. Personally for talents I run riptide for T1 talent and not the others.
    If you have any questions please let me know. Good luck!