Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

How would you sell GW2 to a new MMO player?

Hello champions of Tyria! Long time no see!

So, I've been thinking to myself: How would I sell GW2 to a new MMO player?

I think I'd be sincere with him:

"You'll get a massive world with tons of stuff to do during your leveling. When you reach max level, prepare for a bit of grinding. Puzzles are fun, PvP is great (don't get too competitive or you'll rage a lot!) and remember to make friends and join a guild!"

And you? How would you sell GW2 to a new player?

Easy to play, high action MMO without the need for a lot of commitment.

you can come squish nerds w/ me in wvw
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

You may as well try it at some point but don't get your hopes up.

Boring combat, amazing maps but that somehow feel empty. Horrible story aside from LS3. Fractals and Raids are a lot of fun though. PvP, fun if you like Conquest, horrible if you don't. WvWvW is also fun.

Don't forget to tell him he wouldn't be able to play every class until he pays extra and the game story quests must be paid for too.

It's great if you don't take it too seriously, it's your side MMO when you just want to log in and not wait for anything. Get in and play quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Don't forget to tell him he wouldn't be able to play every class until he pays extra and the game story quests must be paid for too.
    How is that different from other MMO's? When DK's were released then you had to buy the expansion to play one. Only difference is that the base game is free in this case.

- - - Updated - - -

To the OP, I would say:

Don't rush. Play the game to explore. When you get to a map, explore everywhere. There are hidden gems in the strangest places. Like the secret strawberry place that I just found the other day after playing for over 3 years.

Try each profession because they play differently. If you don't like the play style of one, switch to another and try that. If you want to try something different then go into WvW or PVP.

Look out for world events. They can be a lot of fun in the beginning.

GW2 is what you make of it. Talk to all of the NPC's and just see where the world takes you and then you will have a blast.

It's a moderately sized game world without any depth; great if you have a time to kill and want a junk-food game (that is, you don't have to think hard) to play for a while. Meant to be binge played every few months. If you want a premium MMORPG experience, look elsewhere. Like most MMORPGs, it's far, FAR better with friends.

i tend to avoid recommending games made by toxic developers.

Quote Originally Posted by globenstine View Post
    i tend to avoid recommending games made by toxic developers.
    I don't follow Anet that much, but why would you say that they are toxic?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like farming for hours on end, the game is NOT for you. Diminishing returns kick in FAST and you stop getting drops.

Deleted
    In my own perception it's only advantage at the moment is;
    - FTP+not pay to win+not too bad (actually good compared to other asian-looking MMOs)

But outside of that i would have big trouble giving positive feedback...

Deleted
    No subscription, you pay once thats it. Lots of new content, Fun pvp and fun WvW

Deleted
    A huge open world which is stunningly beautiful. In a few years WoW might start catching up here and there.
    You choose your pace. There is no rush anywhere and there's stuff to do everywhere. You don't need to hit max lvl or whatnot to see some of the best things in the game.
    Classes are very distinct if sometimes kinda outlandish.
    Warning: NO TRIAD. If you require clear tank/heal/dps distinction, you won't remain for long.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by urieliszcze View Post
    A huge open world which is stunningly beautiful. In a few years WoW might start catching up here and there.
    You choose your pace. There is no rush anywhere and there's stuff to do everywhere. You don't need to hit max lvl or whatnot to see some of the best things in the game.
    Classes are very distinct if sometimes kinda outlandish.
    Warning: NO TRIAD. If you require clear tank/heal/dps distinction, you won't remain for long.
    The last part is not THAT true anymore at least for a segment of the game nowadays which is raids, they are based around the idea of having a tank, an ideal spot healer (druid mostly, seen ele but not much considering how useful tends to be), then you got buff-based dps and just straight up dps classes, but outside of that yeah, freedom of choice
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35