Page 1 of 2
LastLast

spriest old content and aoe

so i'm doing the mind-worm mount and i decided to do it on my spriest. only to realize that i have NO way of killing mass numbers of mobs without taking shadow crash. they removed mind sear so now i have to tab target through each one and kill them individiually because power word: pain kills them all instantly in the firelands and i can't use the new version of mind sear. am i missing something? this is ridiculous that we don't have a mass aoe spell like everyone else without having to take a crap talent. we're like the ONLY class in the game that doesn't have some form of baseline aoe...i mean even HEALERS have them
    Last edited by zimboombafoo; 2017-05-13 at 04:46 AM.

Sadly we have to spec holy to deal with mobs like that effectively, have fun with holy nova!

10+ Year Old Account
    You're complaining because your spec isn't balanced around out of date content? Shadow priests have some of the best cleave AoE dps in the game assuming they're stacked and you feel like this is necessary? I just find it a tad bit ridiculous that of all things to complain about, it's this. This reminds me of when people took twinking seriously and demanded blizzard to balance classes around 20-29 BG brackets back in the day. Like Davie said, just go holy.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I would agree that every class should have some kind easy button AOE, but not every spec. As a fire mage, I switch to Arcane for old content due to how nice Arcane Explosion is for this.

It's not outside the realm of reasonable for a Priest to switch to Holy, or change a talent for old content.

Going holy is the best option, but there is an option for shadow as well: If you spec Misery, you can cast Vampiric Touch then mind flay. Shadow Word: Pain does not do instant damage when applied through misery.

Clumsy, but it works
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Yeah, OP, you're playing such a wonderful damage dealer than you have to spec healer to deal damage. Oh, the wonders of bad designed specs...

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Shadow priests have some of the best cleave AoE dps in the game

That's why we struggle to beat tanks on trash in m+, I guess - because we have one of the best aoe in the game.
    Thanks for a good laugh friend. Stay classy!
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Deleted
    There is no balance around legacy content and never will be. I'm not saying this is how it should be, but that is how it is.

I would strongly recommend you roll a demon hunter and spend 40 minutes levelling through the starter zone. You will make back the time very quick if you do a lot of legacy content.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    There is no balance around legacy content and never will be. I'm not saying this is how it should be, but that is how it is.

I would strongly recommend you roll a demon hunter and spend 40 minutes levelling through the starter zone. You will make back the time very quick if you do a lot of legacy content.
    I don't think balance is a good word for it. We lack toolkit for aoe, not only in legacy content, but in current content as well. And while old mind sear had shit damage, it at least was useful in legacy content (as well as in tagging mobs out in the world). Current mind "sear" fails miserably in both, while still not giving good aoe. In other words, Failzard's work at its best
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

I just don't understand why we can't have an aoe... Affliction can spread 1 dot and have strong aoe. Balance also can spread 1 dot and have aoe. We are the only dot spec that can't neither aoe or spread 1 dot.

How is that fair?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chantique View Post
    I just don't understand why we can't have an aoe... Affliction can spread 1 dot and have strong aoe. Balance also can spread 1 dot and have aoe. We are the only dot spec that can't neither aoe or spread 1 dot.

How is that fair?
    spriest has much stronger dots

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    spriest has much stronger dots
    So you get to multi dot for 5% more damage on heroic botanist. Affliction gets to blow you out of the water by 15 to 1000%on everything else while having on-demand aoe. Brilliant trade off...
    All hail Ion Itsgonnacostus, the overlord of hypocracy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    I don't think balance is a good word for it. We lack toolkit for aoe, not only in legacy content, but in current content as well. And while old mind sear had shit damage, it at least was useful in legacy content (as well as in tagging mobs out in the world). Current mind "sear" fails miserably in both, while still not giving good aoe. In other words, Failzard's work at its best
    I agree. I think decent aoe spam should be an essential part of every class's toolkit.

Problem is Blizzard just don't care and never will.

Doesn't Mind Flay deal AoE damage or something like that? If the mobs die too quick, target one with the most health -> dot -> mind flay

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz17 View Post
    Doesn't Mind Flay deal AoE damage or something like that? If the mobs die too quick, target one with the most health -> dot -> mind flay
    Considering the mobs die with one tick of your DoT, it's not really effective unless you really enjoy tab targetting and pressing SW: P 1,932,923 times an instance.

How to solo old content as a shadow priest
    1)Spec holy
    2)Spam holy nova and use the time saved to compose passive aggressive threads about class design on the forums in futile attempts to get mind sear back.

Quote Originally Posted by Syenite View Post
    So you get to multi dot for 5% more damage on heroic botanist. Affliction gets to blow you out of the water by 15 to 1000%on everything else while having on-demand aoe. Brilliant trade off...
    Multidot has always been a huge liability, not a strength. It has always been the stone around our neck that keeps Shadow from being a fully realized DPS spec capable of dealing with single target and AOE.

Of course, now we have two stones around our neck with Surrender to Madness here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuchika View Post
    How to solo old content as a shadow priest
    1)Spec holy
    2)Spam holy nova and use the time saved to compose passive aggressive threads about class design on the forums in futile attempts to get mind sear back.
    1.) Spec Misery
    2.) VT a target
    3.) Immediately Mind Flay; Mind Sear will proc and deal AOE damage.

People always forget that SWP, when applied by Misery, does no initial damage.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's my idea.

1) Get rid of Shadow Crash
    2) Introduce a Cthulhu-inspired insanity aura talent which actively damages sanity through shadow magic and scales based on your insanity. The more insanity you generate, the larger the aura becomes and the more damage it'll deal to all within.

Call it Edge of Madness.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-05-15 at 07:52 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

hahahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    1.) Spec Misery
    2.) VT a target
    3.) Immediately Mind Flay; Mind Sear will proc and deal AOE damage.

People always forget that SWP, when applied by Misery, does no initial damage.
    Oh I didn't forget at all. Why would I bother when I can click "holy" and "change spec" and be off and spamming one button as I romp through the instance instead?

you sir, are a professional troll

well done