Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Nazis gonna nazi.

Maybe Spencer is afraid to show his face during the day.
    Oh my, invoking of Godwin's Law on the second available post.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    No, you have the people who want the statue torn down equating Robert E. Lee and any other confederate thing as being Nazi/white power. Rommel would be in the same boat if there was a statue here. Buncha morons, at least Germany looked at the big picture and said "Huh, Rommel was actually a decent dude in a tough position fighting for his men and not the ideology". Same as Robert E Lee
    The optics are ironic when white nationalists run to it's defense. There is no reason to equate the 2, but Richard Spencer makes it that much easier.

Deleted
    No, you have the people who want the statue torn down equating Robert E. Lee and any other confederate thing as being Nazi/white power. Rommel would be in the same boat if there was a statue here. Buncha morons, at least Germany looked at the big picture and said "Huh, Rommel was actually a decent dude in a tough position fighting for his men and not the ideology". Same as Robert E Lee
    As I said, I am not having the issues that some people have with this whole civil war stuff (I am also not american, it doesn't really affect me). But it is still pretty odd practice to have statues of the losers of civil wars, however great people they were, because the association with the losing side, makes their actual memory muddled.
    Have museums, teach it in school etc., but statues are probably a line that one shouldn't cross in this regard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it sad that people can't understand it's not about WHO the statue is, it's about what it represents.

Robert E. Lee himself wasn't terrible, but the confederacy and what they stood for is and was.

I imagine being black and seeing the stupid thing is a nice reminder once in awhile that "Hey! Remember that time about 150 years ago when your town/state/entire geographical location in the U.S decided that you were property, and they'd die for the right to own you? Isn't great your town felt that was worthy of a statue in a public park?" probably grates on you a little.

But hey, I'm can actually empathize with people. Seems to be a dying trait nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    and the obligatory " I don't know what Godwin's law actually is" comment that always follows.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Right Wing Protesters holding Torches - OMFG NAZIS!!!

Left Wing "protesters" actually Torching Buildings - It's just Peaceful protest guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    and the obligatory " I don't know what Godwin's law actually is" comment that always follows.
    That won't happen. Everyone is a genius when they have the internet at their fingertips. They seem to know everything about everything.

Ever back to topic...
    At least they didn't have pitchforks!

At first I was shocked when I read something like this happened in Virginia, where I live, but then I see its in southern Virginia, which is basically racist hickville and not to be confused with the rest of Virginia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically it would be the removal of history and you want to nip that in the bud before it continues. That said, I don't believe for a second these people are upset about history.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    At first I was shocked when I read something like this happened in Virginia, where I live, but then I see its in southern Virginia, which is basically racist hickville and not to be confused with the rest of Virginia.
    I live in Fredericksburg. It's pretty hilarious the divide in the state you'll see driving even 45 minutes north and 45 minutes in any other direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post

Left Wing "protesters" actually Torching Buildings - It's just Peaceful protest guys.
    Some people conveniently forget this small fact because it doesn't fit within their narrative.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    I find it sad that people can't understand it's not about WHO the statue is, it's about what it represents.

Robert E. Lee himself wasn't terrible, but the confederacy and what they stood for is and was.

I imagine being black and seeing the stupid thing is a nice reminder once in awhile that "Hey! Remember that time about 150 years ago when your town/state/entire geographical location in the U.S decided that you were property, and they'd die for the right to own you? Isn't great your town felt that was worthy of a statue in a public park?" probably grates on you a little.

But hey, I'm can actually empathize with people. Seems to be a dying trait nowadays.
    Exactly. Lee (as was said before) was a gem in a pile of sht. BUT ...

The cause he fought for and the flag he fought under mean the same thing to an African-American that the Swastika and the Nazi cause mean to a Jewish person.
    Last edited by Berengil; 2017-05-14 at 10:16 PM.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

I dont get it... Whats with all this destruction of history? Robert E. Lee is a gem in a pile of shit, just like The Desert Fox was for Germany. It's not like he joined the war to mass genocide black people.

He was a noble man and proud man, a respected general if not one of the most respected generals ever...but since he fought for the Confeds, we have to take down the statue?

The North did way more fucked up shit during the war than the Confeds ever did, but you'll never hear about it since I guess the Civil War was for blacks and blacks freedom or something I guess now.
    Well, the Civil War was about slavery, no amount of whitewashing and willful ignorance will change that.

Torches are a source of light. Outdated but still...
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Racists aren't exactly known for their self-awareness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post

When you can't defend something, resort to whataboutism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    These people are nazis, so its fitting,

That is a lot of participation-trophy hillbillies in one area. When people try and claim that racism isn't rampant... just give them this picture.

Imagine going out at night to LARP as the KKK

Sweet jesus the cringe

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Imagine going out at night to LARP as the KKK

Sweet jesus the cringe
    That made me laugh, well done.

When you can't defend something, resort to whataboutism.
    Not about "whataboutisms", it has happened numerous times.

- - - Updated - - -

These people are nazis, so its fitting,
    These people are from Germany?