Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Could exercise be bad for you?

I recently heard about this theory. It sounds stupid at first, but the guy who said it seemed really important so he might be right?

Do you think that human beings have a finite amount of energy? Do you think that exercise wastes this energy, causing you to die younger?

Do you guys think this might be true? Or is the person who said it just crazy?

Exercise is absolutely good for you, particularly in our modern society where most people have sedentary jobs and high-calorie diets.

Energy is not an issue, wear and tear from overexertion could be though.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if you've never taken a physics class

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Sulfate View Post
    I recently heard about this theory. It sounds stupid at first, but the guy who said it seemed really important so he might be right?

Do you think that human beings have a finite amount of energy? Do you think that exercise wastes this energy, causing you to die younger?

That is ridiculous bullshit.

You do have a finite amount of energy, which you replenish every time you eat something.

The only way exercise will make you die younger is if you do it horribly wrong and dramatically injure yourself.

These days, getting the calories (literally energy, btw) you need to sustain yourself is so easy (too easy in fact) that doing exercise to help get rid of some of the excess calories in your diet is very beneficial for your overall health, not to mention that it builds muscle and makes your body more resistant to diseases and injuries.

Oh yeah for sure exercise slowly kills you. When you're conceived you get a set amount of heartbeats for your entire lifetime. Exercising makes your heart work harder and beat faster and so it cuts down on your life span. You didn't know? Wtf are they teaching kids in biology class these days?

The person who said it isn't crazy, they are just making excuses for their lack of exercise.

This seems to be two very different questions. "Do you think that human beings have a finite amount of energy?" Yes. I don't think humans have infinite energy. "Do you think that exercise wastes this energy, causing you to die younger?" Well, I do think you will expend some energy exercising, yes. But "wastes it" causing you to "die younger?" No. You use plenty of your non-infinite energy, but you also get plenty of it back. Your body has quite a few fuel sources, "energy" isn't some magical "death number" that is ticking down as you walk and run and exercise, and you aren't going to prolong your life by being sedentary and preserving this "energy countdown" or whatever this "important" person said.

Plenty of things can kill you, and very rarely do you die by running out of energy. Plenty of accidents, cancers, heart attacks, strokes... hell, even starvation is more complex then "oops, ran out of gas, *put put dead*". Your body is great at generating energy out of complex ingredients. If you use it, you can get more of it. If you don't use it, your body is actually not too shabby at storing it for a longer term.

I'm not going to say that the person who said it was "just crazy" because I don't know the context. Heaven knows I've said some ridiculous stuff to people myself, at first teasing and then just going along with it because I realized the other person might believe me. There's a good chance this "important person" might have been pulling a fast one on you, because I don't think many people would take this idea seriously.
    Last edited by Kraide; 2017-05-15 at 05:36 AM.

Deleted
    false, Human beings get energy from certain ressources, although those are finite, their amount is so vast compared to human's needs that it counts as infinite when compared.

Also, Exercise increases total health by increasing the amount of youth hormone. it also increases total health to a maximum of genetic possibility.

but, people who are heavy laborers, and do huge amount of Body work without proper insight or nutrition, do wither away overtime.

Proper exercise and Nutrition can make us live longer, the other way around kills us.

Theres a difference between exercise and going to the gym 7 days a week, 4 hours a day. There is no such a thing as finite/infinite energy, just like a car doesent have finite or infinite gaz it doesent come default with the car and that person was pretty stupid. Your energy are counted in calories. Exercising cost you more energy, it also strain your muscles and joints. The body is well made, all your food contains big molecules called proteins, which maintains your body infrastructure. When you sleep your muscles heals.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-05-15 at 05:37 AM.

That makes sense! Thanks guys for the detailed responses! It really does seem like an obvious answer.

Out of curiosity, can anyone guess which celebrity came up with this theory?

That makes sense! Thanks guys for the detailed responses! It really does seem like an obvious answer.

7+ Year Old Account

It's the Cheeto-in-Chief, Der Drumpfenfuhrer, and no, I'm not guessing, and yes, he is batshit crazy.

Deleted
    Too much exercise can be bad for you, and athletes who run or do high amounts or cardio do seem to age terribly.

Deleted
    No, it's as moronic as the theory that your heart has a pre programmed number of beats before it ends, so by keeping your heart rate low, you'll live longer.

Well if that were true the Warmartians wheeling around in their little rascals would live to 400 and maybe eclipse their weight with their age.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Vhenan View Post
    Too much exercise can be bad for you, and athletes who run or do high amounts or cardio do seem to age terribly.
    Only if they used doping products.
    Those who trained without injecting weird chemicals in them, on the contrary, do age very well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goddamn Trump is an idiot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Its probably referencing the theory that everything has a finite number of heartbeats, and exercises raises bmp thus killing you sooner should you believe the theory, however exercising regularly in turn lowers your resting heartbeat, generally proving that point moot =p