Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

If you were poor as a child, tell us one thing that shows how poor you were.

We were so poor that my grandfather used to get ketchup from his company for us, and we would make "tomato soup" with ketchup and milk mixed, and heated up. We would also have ketchup on crackers for dinner.
    I am not a Republican or a Democrat..... I just hate Trump with a passion. If he was on fire I wouldn't piss on him to put him out.

I was so poor as a child I put a milkshake on layaway.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I've had my fair share of saltine crackers and miracle whip for dinner over the years. I wouldn't say crackers and a condiment are a poor people thing. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    K-mart layaway.

That's American poor, not 3rd world obviously.

Still had a good life, dad busted his ass every 80 hour work week to make sure we did.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

I think the word poor is pretty relative.

However, I would say about 80% of the clothes I wore were hand me downs my mom got from people at work. I remember when my hair wasn't cut by my mom it was cut by the cheapest barber she could find...

Vacation was going to my grandmothers and being dumped there because it was free baby sitting.

I never went hungry, but outside of food/shelter everything else was a luxury in my house.

Luckily things changed for my parents when I hit middle school.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember once, my mom didn't allow to pick more than *gulp* 2 VHS movies at blockbuster. She used to let me pick 3. Sucks growing up poor.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of times I sat in the dark (didn't pay the electric bill) and didn't eat for two or 3 days at a time with regularity.

Beanie weenies was a gormet dinner for me not to say I mind it. Still love beanie weenies.

I wasn't poor per say, but my parents were cheap as hell.

If we went to the fair or a vacation, my parents would get us 1 large drink for all 4 of us kids to share. Stuff like that.

Was homeless for a bit after my mom broke her back, before we got into government subsidized housing. She only had social security disability as income, so in 2004 it was like 6k a year, so still impossible to support a family of 4 (her, myself, and two siblings). Pennsylvania didn't have gas subsidies for low income at the time, so we had a few space heaters than ran off of electricity, and weren't able to use the stove or oven most of the time. Clothes came from GoodWill/Salvation Army, some years Christmas presents came from donations (you know, those cards they hang on trees in the mall that has a gift you can buy a needy kid..).
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

We had to let 1 of our butlers go because of cutbacks:S

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post

If we went to the fair or a vacation, my parents would get us 1 large drink for all 4 of us kids to share. Stuff like that.
    Dude I sneak candy and bottled drinks into the movie theater as an adult. Not sure if that is cheap or just not willing to get butt raped on 400% upcharged snacks.

Sadly cant sneak in delicious popcorn, gotta get bent over on my $10 tub of popcorn.

I have done schoolwork under candlelight because eletricity got cut for not paying the bills. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Dude I sneak candy and bottled drinks into the movie theater as an adult. Not sure if that is cheap or just not willing to get butt raped on 400% upcharged snacks.
    If you like the theater, make sure to buy something small every one in a while. They make most of their money of concessions, not ticket price :/
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

15+ Year Old Account
    From 7-14 I lived in motels, my mom's car, a hickory farms and skid row. Poor enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    If you like the theater, make sure to buy something small every one in a while. They make most of their money of concessions, not ticket price :/
    I honestly don't go that often. I did edit to clarify I buy popcorn which is just as much a racket as their soda prices.

I'm not going to debate right/wrong on my choice for candy and drinks. It is what it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    The same was true for my father when it came to buying things for us sometimes.
    For example, during vacations, we were only allowed to buy two bottles of liquid during a whole beach day. He didn't want to spend more than that.

If my father made a $100 that week it was a good week.

I recall several Christmas Holidays not receiving anything...
    And I distinctly recall mom doling out oatmeal and creamed corn for dinner once. (Dad drank all his money)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
    We were so poor that my grandfather used to get ketchup from his company for us, and we would make "tomato soup" with ketchup and milk mixed, and heated up. We would also have ketchup on crackers for dinner.
    Uhh dude the really poor people in society wouldn't even be gaming or posting on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post

Sadly cant sneak in delicious popcorn, gotta get bent over on my $10 tub of popcorn.
    that's being reasonable, although I do splurge on the large popcorn