Page 4 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Looks like shit to me, a casual TNG/DS9 fan.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Trailer looks fucking terrible. I'll wait to see what the final product is like, but right now it looks way too movie-ish and/or JJ Abramsy.
    Yeah this doesn't look sustainable for a TV series. Looks like it would be an """okay""" movie, but I don't see how they can keep that up for a whole series.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Well, who saw that coming.....
    Star Trek is in ruins since Voyager ended (and quite badly so if I may say, but overall the show still had some good episodes and characters.. and the Borg and stuff). Afterwards everything went further downhill. Data's sacrifice on Nemesis was the only worthy moment. JJ Trek is utter and complete shit.
    This new show, it will just spit on its grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Anything not in the Roddenberry universe is not star trek, as we know it Jim.
    This is my thought as well. As much as I praise Deep Space Nine, I still have to remind myself that it isn't the true, idealistic Star Trek of old; that it was a twisted version of Roddenberry's magnum opus created by studio writers in another time, and the episodics weren't as imaginative or introspective as TOS or TNG. Voyager and Enterprise plots were mostly lesser rehashs what had already been done. I had hope that Discovery might have been a return to the DS9 days at least (since there'd be no way that they'd go back to Roddenberry's version), but the 2016 Star Trek comic con panel that talked about political correctness and diversity instead of the actual show crushed those hopes.

This trailer obliterated them.

Assuming that the trailer is representative of what the show will be like, then Discovery will be the complete opposite of what Star Trek was supposed to be. Star Trek wasn't a war movie in space, with "death is coming" or character storylines about being half-Vulcan that adds superficial depth (I'd be surprised if it even measured up to half of how that idea was handled in the Abram's Trek...). The grim, action movie tone of the trailer was even more pronounced by the jarring use of the hopeful, idealistic Star Trek theme at the end. I'll watch the first few episodes to see if it's simply one big mislead, but given how CBS has been handling things, I seriously doubt I'll stick around.

Deleted
    So I guess the "Discovery" in Star Trek: Discovery is the people behind this show discovering they've just made a turd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-d...rek-discovery/

http://ew.com/article/2016/08/10/star-trek-tv-series/

All the articles say that it's set in the TV universe, not the JJverse.
    It doesn't matter what they fucking say. The proof is in the pudding, and according to the trailer, everything about it screams "JJverse." The real universe isn't just a bunch of canonical facts; the look, style, and attitudes of the characters and sets are where the big differences are, and the look, style, and attitudes of the characters and sets in that trailer are 100% JJ.

For fuck's sake, stop listening to what ad men, corporate goons, and politicians tell you and use your own brain.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    It doesn't matter what they fucking say. The proof is in the pudding, and according to the trailer, everything about it screams "JJverse." The real universe isn't just a bunch of canonical facts; the look, style, and attitudes of the characters and sets are where the big differences are, and the look, style, and attitudes of the characters and sets in that trailer are 100% JJ.

For fuck's sake, stop listening to what ad men, corporate goons, and politicians tell you and use your own brain.
    Are you frigging serious? You're acting like the Star Wars nerds who can't accept the EU being gone. Authors decide canon, and in this instance the show runner is the author.

Continuity is decided by facts, not TONE. If you don't like it, fine, but "this doesn't look the way I want it to" doesn't change reality.

Oh... I thought this series was stuck in development hell...

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    Are you frigging serious? You're acting like the Star Wars nerds who can't accept the EU being gone. Authors decide canon, and in this instance the show runner is the author.
    What the fuck does that have to do with anything I said?

Continuity is decided by facts, not TONE. If you don't like it, fine, but "this doesn't look the way I want it to" doesn't change reality.
    No, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. There is a distinctive difference in style, storytelling, and characters between the original universe and the JJverse. That trailer is 100% the style, storytelling, and type of characters portrayed in the JJverse. That's not even subjective, it's flat-out fact. There's nothing even remotely similar to the original universe in technology (which is almost forgiveable courtesy of Enterprise) but especially the characters (most damningly the Klingons) and style of storytelling other than a few random names, the fact that it has a spaceship with nacelles, and other absolutely irrelevant things of that nature.

If you can't wrap your head around that, the problem is yours, not mine or anyone else's.

Face it: The producers and other powers-that-be lied to you. Directly and forcefully. And even with proof right in front of you, you're still bending over and taking it up the ass like a good little consumer. People like you are the reason Brexit took place and Trump won the election. Congratulations on being a failure of a human being. Maybe the next generation will actually learn how to use their brains, unlike yours.

It's not that the JJverse it horrible... BUT:

1) It's not the cast from the movies
    2) It's not the Enterprise
    3) It's set before the events from the movies
    4) Its about 7 years too late, the massive hype from the 2009 movie has gradually subsided (and the varying opinions about the quality of the sequels certainly have not helped)
    5) Only showing on CBS Access in the US and Canada has to be the most idiotic move I've ever seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    Why does every vulcan that serves in start fleet have to be half human, thats been played out so much.
    It honestly looks shit, i love all star trek and own every box set, but this...this is blah
    That's not entirely correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    This is my thought as well. As much as I praise Deep Space Nine, I still have to remind myself that it isn't the true, idealistic Star Trek of old; that it was a twisted version of Roddenberry's magnum opus created by studio writers in another time, and the episodics weren't as imaginative or introspective as TOS or TNG. Voyager and Enterprise plots were mostly lesser rehashs what had already been done. I had hope that Discovery might have been a return to the DS9 days at least (since there'd be no way that they'd go back to Roddenberry's version), but the 2016 Star Trek comic con panel that talked about political correctness and diversity instead of the actual show crushed those hopes.

This trailer obliterated them.

Assuming that the trailer is representative of what the show will be like, then Discovery will be the complete opposite of what Star Trek was supposed to be. Star Trek wasn't a war movie in space, with "death is coming" or character storylines about being half-Vulcan that adds superficial depth (I'd be surprised if it even measured up to half of how that idea was handled in the Abram's Trek...). The grim, action movie tone of the trailer was even more pronounced by the jarring use of the hopeful, idealistic Star Trek theme at the end. I'll watch the first few episodes to see if it's simply one big mislead, but given how CBS has been handling things, I seriously doubt I'll stick around.
    Frankly though, one thing I have always wanted to see in a Star Trek was some of it's wars, we got to see the Dominion War...which frankly was worse than most anime fight-scenes with how often it re-used footage. Even Wolf 359 doesn't get much screen-time and every Trekkie I know nerds out over the event. I'd like to actually see the Federation-Klingon war. I'd like to see the Federation-Romulan war. I'd like to see the Federation-Cardassian war.

I think, especially given our current political standing in the USA, it could make for a very good series about how the high-minded scientific and social goals of the Federation persist through those situations. The entire series doesn't need to be combat, but media is often a lens through which we can view our own issues, which I think is where earlier Star Trek's succeeded and where newer, flashier, more action-packed Star Trek's are really missing out.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything I said?
    It's a comparison of two groups of people who don't like a thing and get bent out of shape over it.

No, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. There is a distinctive difference in style, storytelling, and characters between the original universe and the JJverse. That trailer is 100% the style, storytelling, and type of characters portrayed in the JJverse. That's not even subjective, it's flat-out fact. There's nothing even remotely similar to the original universe in technology (which is almost forgiveable courtesy of Enterprise) but especially the characters (most damningly the Klingons) and style of storytelling other than a few random names, the fact that it has a spaceship with nacelles, and other absolutely irrelevant things of that nature.

If you can't wrap your head around that, the problem is yours, not mine or anyone else's.
    Nooo, the style of storytelling and aesthetic involved are how Paramount and CBS are doing Star Trek now. The things that determine what Universe the show is set in are the events within that universe. If a Romulan named Nero didn't run back in time chasing Old Spock and blow up the USS Kelvin, then it's not the JJVerse. That's how continuity works. It's even in the word. Continuity. Noun. "the maintenance of continuous action and self-consistent detail in the various scenes of a movie or broadcast."

The aesthetic has changed. Aesthetic does not determine setting. It can be an element of setting, but the aesthetic has changed before. See, movies. See TNG. See basically every show ever.

They've changed things significantly, in a direction that you don't like. That doesn't mean that anything in the next bit is true.

Face it: The producers and other powers-that-be lied to you. Directly and forcefully. And even with proof right in front of you, you're still bending over and taking it up the ass like a good little consumer.
    You are now ranting. This is unhealthy.

People like you are the reason Brexit took place and Trump won the election. Congratulations on being a failure of a human being. Maybe the next generation will actually learn how to use their brains, unlike yours.
    What on Earth are you even talking about? We're talking about television. Television. Nothing in this is relevant at all. Also it makes you seem unbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    Good

-The aliens needed a facelift. Klingons and a number of all other races got one for TNG. This isn't any different
    -The style seems to be more action oriented versus the boring political nonsense. I know trekkies like that but times are changing. Audiences do not have the attention span to watch a episode dedicated too a androids art style.

Bad

-CBS all access = I will be pirating it
    -Acting in the trailer seems awful. That isn't a good sign
    I'm not saying that other races haven't received face lifts, but specifically the Klingon change came for Star Trek the Motion Picture.

This trailer makes the series looks bad, and not good bad like Enterprise, but bad like Star Trek Into Darkness bad. It seems foolish to push this garbage onto Star Trek fans, fans who want to see series closer to TOS, TNG, and DS9 rather than action movies made for TV, unless CBS is trying to bury the IP for all time in one giant fuck you to Trek fans.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Honestly, DS9 and Voyager are tied for the last place. Aside from DS9 being a Babylon 5 ripoff that had worse writing and acting fucking benjamin Sisko. The guy who played him can NOT act. Every scene he was in was atrocious. Thank god for Quark, Elim Garak, Doctor Bashere, and Miles O'Brien. Without them Sisko would have destroyed this show.
    A lot of people give Shatner a ton of shit for the way he talked but Avery Brooks had this annoying habit of not only doing the same thing but SHOUting wiTH odD inFLECtions as well when he tried to show emotion.

That said, it had some really shit characters and stories (Odo, Kira, Jake, Nog, Vic Fontaine, alternate reality) but it also had some of the best characters as well with fantastic chemistry which almost guaranteed a watch if any or a combination of the characters you listed were the focus of the episode (the Klingon cast too). It's pretty amazing how Garak was only scheduled for one or two small slots but became a fairly important character further down the line due to popularity much like Klinger in MASH and are easily two of my favorite television characters.

I'd put DS9 much, much closer to TOS than Voyager but even Voyager had some pretty good diamonds in the rough such as "Jetrel" and I've always been a fan of the Doctor.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-05-18 at 10:59 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    the Doctor.
    The doctor made voyager watchable for me. Best character on the show haha.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    If it was anywhere stated it was his older brother you might have a point, but it isn't.
    I have a point precisely because it wasn't stated whether the waved-to boy wasn't identified as his brother Sam or even just his brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    And again, the displayed technology also is moot. The cockpit of the Enterpise NX-01 looks much more modern than that of the Enterprise in TOS. That's just the tribute you have to pay when making prequals.
    Technology isn't moot and the BRIDGE of the NX-01 does in fact look less advanced than that of the NCC-1701 from TOS... as "Through A Mirror, Darkly" demonstrates.

- - - Updated - - -

1st - Prime-verse - Everything on TV minus Enterprise. Some include Enterprise on this list, but in fact - as explained by Daniels a million times - most of their events were never recorded.
    That's just your own head canon. The finale of ENT firmly plants the show in the Prime Universe. In fact, ENT is the only part of Star Trek that exists in both timelines so far.

Don't try and out nerd me.
    Consider yourself "out-nerded."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by aviger View Post
    Why does every vulcan that serves in start fleet have to be half human, thats been played out so much.
    It honestly looks shit, i love all star trek and own every box set, but this...this is blah
    While that's not exactly true, it seems to be a pretty worn-out idea in Star Trek of a character dealing directly with concept/subject of emotions. In TOS, it was Spock. In TNG, it was Data and occasionally Troi. In VOY, it was Seven and Tuvok. The trailer for ST: DIS appears to have yet another one of these characters. (The only show that didn't have this trope in it was DS9 which is one of the many reasons why it's one of my favorites).

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    So the new first look trailer came out today...

... and it's clearly set in the JJverse. That's a good thing, because I think the Klingons look terrible.

This just isn't what I want. I want the Prime Universe back. There isn't a lot of "Star Trekiness" in this trailer to get me to want to see it.
    Yup my thoughts exactly.

The warp effects, the ship, the in atmosphere flying, the viewscreen, the tech also does not work in prime because its to advance to be enterprise or tng era...and its set between those 2.
    I think we can forget a new prime universe serie...maybe a reboot ...but not a new one.

And the klingons are not that bad...if they make it something like this:
    a old sleeper ship or extreme klingons or something like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    This is me too. TNG/DS9 fan, saw nothing for me here. And I am so tired of all the dark sets everywhere. Did everyone forget how to install ceiling lights in the past few years of cinema?!
    Nope...Jar Jar ahbrams needed them for his lense flare's "D

10+ Year Old Account
    That does not look half bad, in my opinion. I'm ready to give it a try. And no, this is not set in the Kelvin timeline, they clearly said it was set in the original universe. Yes, the cinematography is more modern, and does not look like TNG, DS9 or Voyager. Well, of course it doesn't! It's 2017, not 1995! And yes the technology will look more advanced than TOS. Our own technology looks more advanced than TOS. I think it's more important that the Discovery looks like what we, today, think a 23rd century ship would look like than what they thought it should look like in the 1960's. As for the Klingons, add long hair and beards and they are not that different to what we're used to. The jump is less important than the one between TOS and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Oh yes, I know, their armor... The Klingon ship we see is a sarcophagus ship, and it is rumoured that it was full of cryogenised Klingons. We know that Klingons do not need that in the 23rd century. Which means that those Klingons may be from the past, maybe centuries old. It is logical that their hairstyles and their clothings would look different. Maybe I'm wrong, but let's breath by the nose and wait for the show's pilot.

The ship looks Starfleet enough (not the Discovery, from what I read), the uniforms too. Yes, they do not look like TOS. But they do look like they are based off Enterprise's uniforms, which were all blue. Also, the uniforms were all the same colour in ST 2 to 6. I think they look nice. Also, the trailer made me interested in the characters. I also find it refreshing that the main character will not be the captain this time, but the first officer (whom I bet will become captain by the end of the show).

So, yeah, I will watch that show, and if the story and the characters are good, I will enjoy it. And let the purists be damned.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Yup my thoughts exactly.
    Yeah, a friend of mine who is a Star Trek hippie (as opposed to myself, a Star Trek hawk), said "This looks like dog shit with lens flares."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    The Klingon ship we see is a sarcophagus ship, and it is rumoured that it was full of cryogenised Klingons. We know that Klingons do not need that in the 23rd century. Which means that those Klingons may be from the past, maybe centuries old. It is logical that their hairstyles and their clothings would look different.
    Kahless the Unforgettable existed before the Klingons had spaceships and he looked nothing like these KINOs (Klingons In Name Only).