Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Banned Hammerfest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    There was a universe or time line that didn't have any time travel, cold war, xindi attack or Borg encounter by Archer.
    And you know this based on what on-screen evidence prior to ST: ENT's debut?
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-05-19 at 04:09 PM.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Look at the color scheme of the iPhone vs the Blackberry 9870. Sure, the Blackberry has a more "serious" or "mature" color scheme than the iPhone, but it's not more advanced..
    Ok, at this point I assume you are just trolling. I don't see what the color scheme of two smartphone has anything to do with if the series is set in the jjverse.
    The TOS bridge screams 60s. Which is hardly surprising considering when it was created. If you seriously claim Spock looking into some oscillator or Sulu wildly pressing colorful blinking buttons looks more advanced than the screens used for ENT I cannot take you serious anymore.
    The series reflect not only the times they play in, but also the times they are created in. And just because something looks different, it does not mean it is meant to be different in the story telling universe, and you can find many example of that when you compare TOS and TNG (or even just compare TOS and the movies).
    Last edited by Puri; 2017-05-19 at 04:45 PM.

  3. #103
    Banned Hammerfest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Ok, at this point I assume you are just trolling.
    No, I'm just making valid points using real world examples of technology.

    Doug Drexler (Star Trek visual effects designer) agrees with me...

    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-05-19 at 04:48 PM.

  4. #104
    Pandaren Monk God Emperor Trump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    And you know this based on what on-screen evidence prior to ST: ENT's debut?
    There isn't any because the show didn't exist yet. But it is implied by Daniels multiple times through out ENT. The time line gets fucked once the Temporal Cold War started and the ENT series went into a different direction that it would have without it.

    THere are essentially three time lines (or multiverses) in Star Trek cannon now.
    Bend the knee ... Heretic!

  5. #105
    Is that the Aries class Star Ship? The one mentioned in Prelude to Axanar? Sure the fuck looks like it.

  6. #106
    Banned Hammerfest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    There isn't any...
    Exactly. Nothing shown previous to ST: ENT contradicts the events presented in ST: ENT. The idea that there was a different version of ENT's time period before the series took place is just fans preferring their own head canon to actual canon.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-05-19 at 05:33 PM.

  7. #107
    Pandaren Monk God Emperor Trump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Exactly. Nothing shown previous to ST: ENT contradicts the events presented in ST: ENT. The idea that there was a different version of ENT's time period before the series took place is just fans preferring their own head canon to actual canon.
    I guess you would have your own head cannon as well.

    ToS -> TNG -> DS9/VOY -> 31st century and Temporal War

    There is ZERO, and I mean ZERO mention of a temporal war in the first four ST series. Such a big event would of at least been referenced at some point but it never was. This can only mean it didn't happen until the 31st century when time travel become weaponized. I guess you need to re watch Enterprise.
    Bend the knee ... Heretic!

  8. #108
    Banned Hammerfest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    There is ZERO, and I mean ZERO mention of a temporal war in the first four ST series.
    And why would there be? Does the Battle of Midway or the War of 1812 come up very often in everyday conversation?
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2017-05-19 at 06:01 PM.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    No, it's pointless since relatives only matter when they are a part of the current story. They just appear out of thin air, as there are many examples especially in Star Trek. Just because he isn't mentioned yet does not mean he does not exist, and even that would require him to be the older brother since in the new timeline the mother obviously died before she could have conceived him.




    Well, that's something I clearly disagree. If you seriously think this bridge

    looks more advanded than this bridge


    there is not much to discuss left.
    I think if you accept that it's unreasonable to expect perfect continuity when the original series occurred in the 60's, which had a very distinct idea of a futuristic aesthetic compared to today, the NX-01 can easily be accepted as less advanced because it looks like the sort of thing we might build today. It has a very modern, as opposed to futuristic, appearance and design to it, and looks like a natural development of current spacecraft. The TOS style bridges then do work into what is a progression from complexity to simplicity as a general trend in Federation spacecraft.

  10. #110
    Uh, I don't know what I think about this....

    I probably shouldn't have watched a trailer first.

  11. #111
    The Unstoppable Force smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    I guess you would have your own head cannon as well.

    ToS -> TNG -> DS9/VOY -> 31st century and Temporal War

    There is ZERO, and I mean ZERO mention of a temporal war in the first four ST series. Such a big event would of at least been referenced at some point but it never was. This can only mean it didn't happen until the 31st century when time travel become weaponized. I guess you need to re watch Enterprise.
    The joys of time travel. They don't talk about it because it hasn't happened yet. Also the joys of prequels inventing content their chronologically later-set series don't talk about because ya know, the show didn't exist.

    Shit, this is why I don't talk about Star Trek with people anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "Why is a soap bubble round?"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  12. #112
    Pandaren Monk God Emperor Trump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    The joys of time travel. They don't talk about it because it hasn't happened yet. Also the joys of prequels inventing content their chronologically later-set series don't talk about because ya know, the show didn't exist.

    Shit, this is why I don't talk about Star Trek with people anymore.
    It isn't so much as that. The show ENT implies heavily that all the Temporal Cold War events didn't happen in the Prime timeline. BUt they didn't call it the Prime timeline until JJ's movies. There were already two time lines established before the movies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    And why would there be? Does the Battle of Midway or the War of 1812 come up very often in everyday conversation?
    I don't remember where I read it, but the show wanted Time Travel as part of the story telling so the writers could have more freedom without having to abide by all the pre established lore within the Star Trek universe. That way they could get a little more creative with introducing Romulans and ... the Borg cameo.
    Bend the knee ... Heretic!

  13. #113
    Banned Hammerfest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    I don't remember where I read it, but the show wanted Time Travel as part of the story telling so the writers could have more freedom without having to abide by all the pre established lore within the Star Trek universe. That way they could get a little more creative with introducing Romulans and ... the Borg cameo.
    Except that the Romulans as presented on ENT didn't contradict any material on them that had been presented "previously in the future." As for the Borg being on ST: ENT, that was a follow up to a time travel event that took place in the Star Trek: First Contact film, not ST: ENT. You MIGHT have a point when it came to the Ferengi appearing on ST: ENT. I personally thought that was kind of weak, but at the end of episode the Ferengi remained relatively mysterious... just how Picard described them in his opening log of TNG: The Last Outpost.

  14. #114
    Herald of the Titans Frontenac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Québec, Québec
    Posts
    2,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Both of them! Neither look like these KINOs. (Plus, wasn't that TOS Kahless just an image of him created by the Excalibans based off of Kirk and company's idea of what he would look like?)
    But you see, that's the in-universe explanation that was invented many years after (like 40 years after) to explain why the founder of the Klingon civilization was afflicted by the augment virus a few centuries before its apparition. And the augment virus was imagined afterwards to explain why the Klingons in post ST:TMP are so different from those we see in TOS. What will be the explanation this time? Is there a need for any explanation? Afterall, we never knew why (in-universe) the Romulans in TNG are different from those in TOS (who simply look like regular Vulcans).

    Star Trek geeks are just like Star Wars geeks: they take their passion for religion and any change, be it cosmetic or in tone, is treated as an heresy.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

  15. #115
    I am still just bothered by the dark set.

    Who would operate complicated panels and machinery in a pitch black room? Did nobody thing to install ceiling lights? You know, so you can see what you're doing and where you're going? I don't understand at all why the bridge has to be so dang dark. You'd get super depressed working there.

    Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.



  16. #116
    The Unstoppable Force smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    It isn't so much as that. The show ENT implies heavily that all the Temporal Cold War events didn't happen in the Prime timeline. BUt they didn't call it the Prime timeline until JJ's movies. There were already two time lines established before the movies.
    The key word here is "Temporal".
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    "Why is a soap bubble round?"
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  17. #117
    Banned Hammerfest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United States of America
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Afterall, we never knew why (in-universe) the Romulans in TNG are different from those in TOS (who simply look like regular Vulcans)
    Some Romulans looked like Vulcans. This is how Spock was able to live on Romulus undetected in the TNG episodes "Unification" and possibly how Sub-Commander Selok was able to pass for a Vulcan in the TNG episode "Data's Day."

  18. #118
    I am Murloc! Yggdrasil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America!!
    Posts
    5,220
    More lens flare.. I mean the time line is JJ.. direction/production seems to be inspired by JJ... stupid CBS subscription based deal to see.. fuck..

    I will give it a shot. But I am getting the feeling this might be dead show.

  19. #119
    Makes me wanna see Axanar more, sadly I think even that ship has sunk with all the problems its had.

  20. #120
    I'm still a bit peeved Brian Fuller quit being the showrunner. It all looked so promising a year ago.

    We'll see were it goes, trailer looked a bit like SW's Rey meets Stargate or something.
    Last edited by Vieve; 2017-05-20 at 02:09 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •