Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    But it's also been explained that many design choices are for budget reasons and practical reasons. Which is why the original Star Trek was so...well, boring when it came to aliens. Every consecutive series improved on it. So Klingons ended up getting a design change, from being jerks with mustaches to warriors with strange heads and bushy hair.
    I get the practical concerns, but having an established reason for similarities changing them up is lame, IMO. Thats why I want a series elsewhere in the galaxy or even out of it. A current timeline 100 years post Janeway/Dom war sounds nice. That way we can have new aliens that dont shit on cannon. Cannon that, lets face it, WILL always be held as the gold standard to the fans.

Its like the people who control the IP haver no care or concern for the lore, only making money off of it. Star Trek, by all rights SHOULD be as big if not bigger than Star Wars, but Paramount just doesn't seem to know what to do with it.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vieve View Post
    Never saw that one but I read it was inspired by Contact by Sagan, which happens to be one of my favourite book/movies.

That can't be coincidence
    It was a nice treasure hunt, with a nice plot and good humour. That Klingon captain...

"Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Thats because the most races of the AlphaQ were all seeded by an ancient alien race, who looked mostly human. So it makes sense that they share similar traits.

And that was made up so as to justify them all looking the same for the reasons I stated. It was about budget and practical reasons back then when the show was created. Now we have a lot more money for shows and both practical and CG effects are easier to do more with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I get the practical concerns, but having an established reason for similarities changing them up is lame, IMO. Thats why I want a series elsewhere in the galaxy or even out of it. A current timeline 100 years post Janeway/Dom war sounds nice. That way we can have new aliens that dont shit on cannon. Cannon that, lets face it, WILL always be held as the gold standard to the fans.

Its like the people who control the IP haver no care or concern for the lore, only making money off of it. Star Trek, by all rights SHOULD be as big if not bigger than Star Wars, but Paramount just doesn't seem to know what to do with it.
    It's because they're afraid of inventing something new, so they go with what they know. It's cheaper and easier that way. They dont understand the franchise, so they cant invent and be original with it. But I agree with you, the fun of Star Trek was progression and the actual TREK part of it, which is why Enterprise wasn't as good.
    The writing and story of Star Wars is much simpler, broader and is made to appeal to kids and the younger audience. Star Trek isn't, so producers and suits dont want to risk putting money into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    It's because they're afraid of inventing something new, so they go with what they know.
    Ironic considering the uproar over the idea that Klingons don't look exactly how they have in the past. You want to know why studios go with what they know? Because the fans of these properties are terrified of change.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    That's pretty much the problem with the 24th century. Most of the Alpha and even Beta quadrants have been mapped. The Federation has become a galactic super-power. Star Trek is about discovery, exploration. The 23rd century can give that "final frontier" vibe.
    Voyager didn't exactly explore all of the Delta Quadrant. Most of the Gamma Quadrant has yet to be explored at the time of ST: DS9. I'd say there's plenty to explore in the 24th century... it's also not like the Federation and other Alpha/Beta Quadrant powers fully explored their own quadrants by the 24th century.

So far the trailer is not wowing me, it seems a bit too dark for Star Trek. MAybe they want to emphasise the dark times ahead of them, but Jesus tittyfucking Christ put some more colors into it.
    To have a struggling ship and crew it needs to be put in a rather tough spot, explorers when there are things left to explore (TOS, TNG, VOY), or when the Federation is not one of the mightiest powerhouses in existance (DS9).
    So setting the show after the Dom Wars is going to be tough without the usual power creep with just another gigantic empire of different species like another Dominion. Let's not talk about the implosion that was the Borg menace.

Why not go back to the times when the Federation was just a hatchling and just about everything in the Alpha Quadrant was more or less terra incognito, with rumores and sightings of monsters (eg Klingons)? Makes sense to me, gives them the chance to fill out some gaps we had so far in the canon (cannons are used to fire at someone).
    It offers mystery, exploration and action/war without the powercreep.
    As for the characters: As long as they fit into their spots both by personality and capability i don't give a damn about their skin color, gender, religion or eating habits. If they however get preachy about any 1 of those things .... there's the airlock, out you go.
    Quick example: Jeffrey Sinclair and John Sheridan may have commanded B5, but no one ever questioned Cmdr. Ivanova unless he wanted to breath space. She never preached about her gender or religion (although she gets a whole episode to sit shivat), made at best quibs about russian stereotypes, and otherwise did an outstanding job of keeping B5 running. She was defined by her actions and attitude, the rest was part of her but did not make or define her.

Oh, and if they trek through the Alpha Quadrant ... please do some noticeable pit stops, carry over scars and damages from previous episodes (not just as a plot hook to go looking for a new better do-hicky), and story lines that go over several episodes if not a whole season. TOS and TNG episodes you can watch in nearly whatever line-up you want, their episodes are so interchangably it sucks FOR ME quite a lot of fun out of it. I so much more prefer DS9 with a running story.

So my guess, and certainly from not a person that's big on canon or recalls a lot of TOS well, is that these are the ridgeless Klingons, exiled for some reason, and Discovery stirs them back up and they will be the series Borg or Dominion as they impact the Klingon empire, sort of closing the loop on all of that and linking back to TOS Klingons.

I'm not sure if this is the JJverse, but as I recall didn't Nero go back a long time, more than 10 years before kirk and spock's time, unless this is putting us into "what did Nero really do" territory, where things he messed up are actually the big reveal. I hope not as I'm not a big fan of prequels and making one's way to a known conclusion, I prefer blazing the trail where the audience doesn't know how things end up, except perhaps in the vaguest sense (i.e. federation survives).

However, I too want to see more than the same old races we're used to. All the stuff ENT did with the Andorians I thought was great, ditto for the Cardassians and Bajorans (and even the Ferrengi) in DS9. The borg in voyager.... meh, and otherwise they didn't spend as much time as I would have liked on many races they encountered. I'd love to see more emphasis put on the non-humanoid/non-mammal races like the Gorn, or even give us a fleshed out insectoid race. Problem is that CGI costs $$$, and I don't have the faith that CBS will dump a lot into the budget.

The writing staff seems okay, one writer worked on Hannibal the TV series, another worked on the movie Star Trek 4 the voyage home which a lot of people liked. The only woman writer wrote a couple ST novels.

It might work out.

Wasn't Nicholas Meyer involved in this series at one point?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Wasn't Nicholas Meyer involved in this series at one point?
    I thought he was. Someone in this thread is sure to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    So my guess, and certainly from not a person that's big on canon or recalls a lot of TOS well, is that these are the ridgeless Klingons, exiled for some reason, and Discovery stirs them back up and they will be the series Borg or Dominion as they impact the Klingon empire, sort of closing the loop on all of that and linking back to TOS Klingons.

I'm not sure if this is the JJverse, but as I recall didn't Nero go back a long time, more than 10 years before kirk and spock's time, unless this is putting us into "what did Nero really do" territory, where things he messed up are actually the big reveal. I hope not as I'm not a big fan of prequels and making one's way to a known conclusion, I prefer blazing the trail where the audience doesn't know how things end up, except perhaps in the vaguest sense (i.e. federation survives).

However, I too want to see more than the same old races we're used to. All the stuff ENT did with the Andorians I thought was great, ditto for the Cardassians and Bajorans (and even the Ferrengi) in DS9. The borg in voyager.... meh, and otherwise they didn't spend as much time as I would have liked on many races they encountered. I'd love to see more emphasis put on the non-humanoid/non-mammal races like the Gorn, or even give us a fleshed out insectoid race. Problem is that CGI costs $$$, and I don't have the faith that CBS will dump a lot into the budget.
    I would like Captain Lorca of the discovery to be an Andorian