10+ Year Old Account

Need a Rough Cutting / Editing PC - UK, Efficient, no Overkill £900 budget

Hi guys,

Could anyone suggest me a rendering/rough cutting machine for Premier?

My budget is £800/£900 which needs to include the standard PSU, CASE, GPU, CPU, RAM, MOBO, SSD (or two for scratch disk?) but no monitor, OS, keyboard and mice.

Anything to optimize when I have the machine, anything that is overkill? The rendering will not be done on this machine, we have a x3 980 setup so mainly rough cutting then exporting those rough cuts.

This is what i had a while back with a lower budget that i put together.

- - - Updated - - -

bump budget increased to around £1,200
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£285.54 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£57.77 @ More Computers)
    Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g 1g Thermal Paste (£6.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£74.33 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£161.33 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£123.54 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (£100.80 @ Alza)
    Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case (£67.25 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£67.80 @ Alza)
    Total: £945.35
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-18 11:28 BST+0100

Premiere is CPU bound so Ryzen it is... The 1700 will bitch smack it. Loaded you up on plenty of ram at a good speed. The 1050 will be more than enough for your needs. I have the m.2 variant of that SSD and it works just dandy. Changed the Thermal Paste to what's currently supposed to be the "best" per reviews.

Made the build silence oriented since it will be a work PC. You can easily get the build down well below £900 by going with a cheaper case, that won't be as quiet, and using the stock cooler.
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister K View Post
    Do you still have any of these parts and if so are you planning on using this PC? Otherwise you could reuse the GPU and SSD (and still buy another SSD).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Do you still have any of these parts and if so are you planning on using this PC? Otherwise you could reuse the GPU and SSD (and still buy another SSD).
    That's a seperate machine, we got a need for a new one now so that one will stay.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not dual 1080tis? Someone mentioned dual 1080tis and an i5 but thats ridiculous.
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    For rendering? I experimented with GPU vs CPU rendering in After Effects back in ~2013. What I found is that the CPU could keep up with the GPU except in situations where there were lots of particle effects. For raw footage, my CPU often exceeded performance.

I tried the same thing again recently. With my GTX1070 GPU vs my Ryzen 1700X CPU, the CPU absolutely slaughtered the GPU in every single rendering situation I threw at it.

If you were going down a GPU rendering route, you'd be looking at a Tesla which run into thousands of pounds each. Geforce are aimed at gamers and the things gamers do. Also, many rendering programs don't support SLI rendering, so buying 2 GPU's or a dual-GPU card would be a pointless purchase. Get as many CPU threads/logical cores as you can and enough RAM to allow at least 1GB per thread (so in a Ryzen 1700X, buy at least 16GB), though more is better, and have at it.

I've rendered a piece of footage that took almost 6 hours on my old i5-4670K in only 1.5 hours on my 1700x. It had a lot of layers and random position calculations going on. My GPU took just under 3 hours to render the same footage.
    Great thanks for the info Synthaxx. So any particle heavy processes you want a powerful GPU, ideally a Tesla card. Not sure why the other guys suggested Dual 1080tis with bloody i5. I didn't know the ins and outs but that looked just odd to me (and 16GB RAM due to VRAM picking up the load). Reading online, more than 4GB VRAM is kind of useless unless you go the Tesla route and are using After Effects.

I found a good website few months back, optimization for After Effects / Premier and computer builds.

- - - Updated - - -

How about this build, so instead of Ryzen, a 6800k
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hHt3nn
    -K

Eh no lol. A ryzen 1700 will kick the crap out of a 6800k for a lot less money.

Go with the build @ovm33 posted, it's solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Go with the build @ovm33 posted, it's solid.
    Ok awesome, I will make some changes to the drive setups (ssd/hdd) but rest is fine. Would a AIO be better incase I want to overclock?

H100i GTX or H100i v2
    Fractal Design Kelvin S36
    Swifttech H220-X/H240-X

or
    NH-D15
    Cryorig R1

Haven't really checked the compatibility however with Ryzen.
    -K

Entirely depends on the game and what GPU you are using in regards to ram. I have a 1700 and a gtx 1060, i saw zero fps difference between 2133 and 2933 in WoW or overwatch.