Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Conspiracy of WoW ending?

I don't know if someone else has ever thought about this, perhaps..but..

What IF Blizzard is preparing most hardcore and loyal players/fans lose interest of the game?

I mean it sounds actually so strange and even insane and at the same time makes sense.

What would actually happen if they would close the game instantly? ''Sorry all,we are not able to provide development of this game any more, we are shutting WoW down now. Bye! '' How many would lose their minds and start to judge the company of such move. Still compared to other MMOs WoW used to have and even now have a LOT players!

Population of WoW players are decreasing each year since Wrath of the Lich King. Perhaps that's the plan, kill game slowly so people don't go insane?

Your thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    there will always be people willing to play wow, and by the way wow will always be around in the internet regardless what blizzard do

if they do this players would massively despise blizzard and that's understandable because they have a real progression, but the server shutting down doesn't nullify what the player accomplished officially

Each new expansion introduces more features than the last, in general. The game design team is more passionate and working harder than ever before. Something as overwhelming as Suramar City, despite being technically possible back then, would never have been made 3 years ago. Like any other creator, they are motivated to outperform themselves and keep surprising their customer base.

Desensitization is the real culprit here. We forget that mythic raids, challenge modes, world quests and zone scaling are all amazing features that didn't exist just a couple of years ago.

So yeah, I think you're wrong. There is no conspiracy. Players may be moving on with their lives, but the WoW team will remain passionate and expand both themselves and their game with ever-increasing determination.
    Last edited by Frood; 2017-05-19 at 12:28 PM.

Yeah I'm sure they'll just decide not to make as much money anymore.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

If Blizzard was involved in any type of conspiracy, it definitely wouldn't be a conspiracy to slowly and subtly destroy a source of income that generates hundreds of millions of dollars per year.

Quote Originally Posted by crakks View Post
    I mean it sounds actually so strange and even insane and at the same time makes sense.
    No. As long as WoW makes a lot more money than it costs, it will be alive and well.

10+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft generates way too much revenue. They're not going to shut it down anytime soon.

Deleted
    Mmos can be profitable even with just a few hundred thousand players.

But that's not what you should worry about, what you should worry about it when the opportunity cost of developing for wow becomes significantly less profitable then developing another game.

Blizzared is a big company now and once wow starts to drop below say 250m a year, regardless of profit margin, were probbaly in deep shit, but at the current rate thats still years off.

Quote Originally Posted by crakks View Post
    No, it doens't make sense.. It is absolutly without a doubt just the ramblings of a nut.

WoW earns blizzard a gigantic amount of money, it is still the most played and highest grossing MMO on the market.. To say that they would purposesly drive away the playerbase so they could shut it down.. Is insanity.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

You don't shoot the cash cow, it won't happen until WoW stops making them money, which isn't anytime soon.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I know that Blizzard is a company, and all companies seek to make a profit. Therefore, as long as WoW is sufficiently popular, they won't suddenly end the franchise.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

EverQuest is still running to this day and WoW still turns profit. They're not intentionally winding down WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Assuming the game will stop devlopment. They will keep the servers up and running for at least 10 years.
    This, and now the thread is over.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    I think we're near WoW's final years, but I think they'll always bring new content to the game as long as they have 100k+ subs.
    But it'll probably be filler content like MoP and WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    EverQuest is still running to this day and WoW still turns profit. They're not intentionally winding down WoW.
    EverQuest is still getting expansion releases and it's almost 20 years old! Crazy.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol@ topics like this which clearly don't understand just how much revenue this game still generates.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    World of Warcraft generates way too much revenue. They're not going to shut it down anytime soon.
    True. They will not shut it down right away.

Fan base is so huge that Blizzard cannot be socially responsible company. As a company they have to bring some responsibility of their customers.

There are plenty of examples how families are suing companies because some tragic accident has happened with their representative that used it.

This is story of addiction where players can end their lives because product they own will not be available.

When people will lose interest of the product slowly, all the addiction will go away naturally.

By lowering risk factor of these customers company will be more safe.

......no. You're reeeeaaally reaching for a rationalization on this.

They will never shut it down over night. At best they would announce that an xpac is going to be last, and they would give a 2 year + warning.

Much more likely is that they are going to find another company who is willing to continue the server hosting and even produce further content (mind you, there are mmos out there with no more than 30000 subscribers going for decades), simply outsourcing it to a company who is willing to continue the support for less profit.

I'd say the chance that the servers will completely shut down within the next 10 years are close to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Holy shit. Do people on this forum not understand the concept of a "What if" scenario? Does it always instantly have to be so serious and defensive? Just roll with the initial "What If they literally just shut the whole thing down" and answer... Even a stump knows it isn't actually going to happen. Jesus Christ.
    What ifs can be fine..

But not a "what if this game company with a multi billion dollar income game, is deliberatly making the game shit to drive away players so they can shut it down.".. because that is just way to idiotic.
    Last edited by Quibble; 2017-05-19 at 01:26 PM.
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon