Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Trump’s Commerce Sec marvels at lack of protests in Saudi Arabia

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-s...d=sm_fb_maddow

The first stop on Donald Trump’s overseas tour ended largely without incident. No one understands what was up with that orb, but in general, the American president did not cause any diplomatic crises during his brief trip to Saudi Arabia.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross appeared on CNBC this morning to boast about how well it went. In fact, he offered proof that Trump’s first stop went off without a hitch:
    “[The] thing that was fascinating to me, there was not a single hint of a protestor anywhere there during the whole time we were there. Not one guy with a bad placard.”
    At that point, the CNBC host interjected, reminding the secretary of Commerce that Saudis may have wanted to protest Trump, but local citizens aren’t allowed to express such criticisms publicly.

“In theory, that could be true,” Ross responded, “but boy there was certainly no sign of it.” The cabinet secretary then proceeded to brag some more about how smoothly everything went in the authoritarian country – including some “gigantic bushels of dates” he received as a gift from people he identified as Saudi security guards.

Someone might want to remind Ross that Saudi Arabia banned all protests and marches years ago. BBC News reported six years ago this month that a statement was read on state television that said “security forces would use all measures to prevent any attempt to disrupt public order.”

It’s not that Ross was wrong – I’m quite certain Trump and his entourage were confronted with nothing but polite and welcoming locals – it’s that he apparently has no idea why he’s right. There wasn’t “a single hint of a protestor anywhere” because in Saudi Arabia, public dissent is quashed by force of law. What the president’s cabinet secretary was arguing, in effect, was that he didn’t see any Saudi who was willing to put his freedom or security at risk by holding up a critical placard, which is hardly something worth bragging about.

What’s more, let’s not forget that Ross isn’t some young rookie who’s unfamiliar with the basics of international affairs. He’s a 79-year-old former businessman with an extensive record with global industries.

In other words, the Commerce secretary has no excuse for interpreting the lack of protesters as evidence of public support.
    I mean........

Good, maybe Trump can stay there and rub some more orbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol this shit writes itself

10+ Year Old Account
    There wasn’t “a single hint of a protestor anywhere” because in Saudi Arabia, public dissent is quashed by force of law.
    With Trump's attitude towards the media and anyone who disagrees with him I'm sure he's loving it over there.....

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    With Trump's attitude towards the media and anyone who disagrees with him I'm sure he's loving it over there.....
    Trump and his deplorables would love nothing more than state run media.

Deleted
    Now I get it, large percentage of Trump's administration just learned about outer-America history and ideologies on the current year. That might explain the complete lack of awareness regarding many issues.

Wouldn't protesters in Saudi Arabia get hanged or something?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Wouldn't protesters in Saudi Arabia get hanged or something?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_S...mass_execution

One of them was executed for wanting free elections. Seems like a swell place...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

He'd love North Korea too. No protesters and no media organisations to be mean to him.

I see the brutal authoritarian regime love bug is catching.

At that point, the CNBC host interjected, reminding the secretary of Commerce that Saudis may have wanted to protest Trump, but local citizens aren’t allowed to express such criticisms publicly.

“In theory, that could be true,” Ross responded, “but boy there was certainly no sign of it.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man is he gonna be bummed when he has to head home and deal with scrutiny and accountability again.

On a related note, it's marvelous how the glorious leader manages to get over 100% of the vote in North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    No. You are being extreme there. Jail time i think. According to the law, marches and protesting in public is illegal in Saudi Arabia. However, if you have an issue with something. You can take it directly with the deputy prince. He meets thousands of people everyday.
    Oh man, that sounds like a real utopia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember when some candidate for president was saying how bad it was to make deals with SA, since they have no regard for women rights and like the throw gays off buildings? remember that?

Where's that deep rooted disgust for SA now Donald? Great new president

Also his entourage isn't the brighest bunch either so no surprise they are surprised to see there was no protest against donald and co, don't worry ol' donny boy once you enter the old country there will be enough people laughing, mocking and protesting about you to get salty again.

Is it just me, or are these Saudi kings getting progressively more Palpatine-like with each iteration?

10+ Year Old Account
    Saudis: Hey baby come over

Trump: I can't, you fund terrorists and did 9/11

Saudis: We will buy 100 billion + of your stuff

Trump: FRIENDSHIP WITH ALT RIGHT ENDED, NOW SAUDIS NEW BEST FRIEND!

Why would there be protests? They bomb our buildings, we use that as an excuse to attack other countries and then give them military deals a few years later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Remember when some candidate for president was saying how bad it was to make deals with SA, since they have no regard for women rights and like the throw gays off buildings? remember that?

Trump is going to invoke Gavin Belson, and ask if there's any way that old quotes of his can just be scrubbed from the internet entirely.

Deleted
    Person surprised that Country that tortures, executes Protestors has no Protestors.

I agree. Donald Trump should convert to Islam, marry into the Saudi Royal family and stay there until the end of his days.