7+ Year Old Account

Level 10 Affixes are god damn boring

Heyo folks,

I am likely not to only one who thinks this (though I dont have any statistics for you), but the Level 10 affixes are mighty boring. They add nothing interesting, simply requiring that you pull bigger numbers, in essence turning bosses and mobs into "bullet sponges" which are the most boring way to increase difficulty that developers ever came up with.
    I would personally love to see level 10 affixs increase the difficulty through adding intricacy, especially with the upcoming removal of the mythic timer.
    My ideas for new affixes are below, but i would love to hear your opinion on the matter, as well as any ideas of your own

Prepared - The denizens of the dungeons prepare for your arrival, laying traps and barricades.
    The idea behind this one is that traps would have a random effect (out of a pool of several) and would be placed semi randomly near particular locations (never in boss rooms though), would be visible though not always avoidable. Barricades would also be placed semi randomly and funnel the players into particular paths, generally making navigation and mob skipping more awkward. Where both barricades and traps intersect would create for annoying but interesting and possibly entertaining gameplay (again though it relies on removing the mythic+ timer).

Empowered - Bosses get one or two new abilities that players need to keep in mind.
    This already kinda exists in the game, since most dungeons bosses get any ability interactions on HC and M difficulty. However the idea here is that they would get brand new (not in the game yet), abilities when this affix is on (not new ones every week). This would once again would freshen things up and could potentially have interesting interactions with existing boss abilities. However I would like to note that this would be better if they increased the sizes of some boss rooms like BRH final boss or Dresaron.

This last one im not very sure of, since balancing it would be difficult, but im throwing it out here just as something else to stir ideas.

Suppressing - Players are unable to use abilities with a long cooldown (anything above a minute)(does not affect racials)(does not work on bosses with enrage timers).
    Even as i write this i see how broken this could be, however I feel that it could cause teams be more careful in how they approach each boss and certain packs, not allowing them to just roflstop packs with mad aoes. However this would definitely need more thought in both the abilities it applies to and how it works.

Would love to hear your ideas folks

Deleted
    Good ideas, but thats Blizzard. They cant even make custom mythic+ dungeons for player tournaments, etc.

I am not sure the mythic+ 10 affixes are really there to be "interesting", in my mind they are there as a gateway to bigger and better mythic+'s. It's the lower affixes that are interesting.

What are you referring to, in regards to the "upcoming removal of the mythic timer"?

Bursting, Quaking, and Grievous are there to provide some interest. Tyranical and Fortified, while "boring", are there to provide a gateway for players who stand in fire and can't work as a team.

Deleted
    Well i`m agreed that lv 10 should enhance bosses who as we know at lv 10+ are simply target dummy`s compared to trash

Quote Originally Posted by Mofn View Post
    Heyo folks,

I am likely not to only one who thinks this (though I dont have any statistics for you), but the Level 10 affixes are mighty boring. They add nothing interesting, simply requiring that you pull bigger numbers, in essence turning bosses and mobs into "bullet sponges" which are the most boring way to increase difficulty that developers ever came up with.
    I would personally love to see level 10 affixs increase the difficulty through adding intricacy, especially with the upcoming removal of the mythic timer.
    My ideas for new affixes are below, but i would love to hear your opinion on the matter, as well as any ideas of your own

Prepared - The denizens of the dungeons prepare for your arrival, laying traps and barricades.
    The idea behind this one is that traps would have a random effect (out of a pool of several) and would be placed semi randomly near particular locations (never in boss rooms though), would be visible though not always avoidable. Barricades would also be placed semi randomly and funnel the players into particular paths, generally making navigation and mob skipping more awkward. Where both barricades and traps intersect would create for annoying but interesting and possibly entertaining gameplay (again though it relies on removing the mythic+ timer).

Empowered - Bosses get one or two new abilities that players need to keep in mind.
    This already kinda exists in the game, since most dungeons bosses get any ability interactions on HC and M difficulty. However the idea here is that they would get brand new (not in the game yet), abilities when this affix is on (not new ones every week). This would once again would freshen things up and could potentially have interesting interactions with existing boss abilities. However I would like to note that this would be better if they increased the sizes of some boss rooms like BRH final boss or Dresaron.

This last one im not very sure of, since balancing it would be difficult, but im throwing it out here just as something else to stir ideas.

Suppressing - Players are unable to use abilities with a long cooldown (anything above a minute)(does not affect racials)(does not work on bosses with enrage timers).
    Even as i write this i see how broken this could be, however I feel that it could cause teams be more careful in how they approach each boss and certain packs, not allowing them to just roflstop packs with mad aoes. However this would definitely need more thought in both the abilities it applies to and how it works.

The +10 affixes are boring, sure, but at 10 and above there's already enough going on to deal with for most people. A flat dmg/health buff is an easy way to weed out parties that aren't ready for higher keys and give geared people something to do. If you wanted to add an affix at 15+, maybe that would get some traction. That would let people get their weekly done after 7.2.5 without a new thing to deal with and give the mythic pushers something else to think about.

As for your ideas, (1) isn't bad but not terribly interesting (remember the traps in ICC?), (2) is interesting but could lead to balance issues since the encounters are already designed and they'd be shoehorning in a new thing, and (3) is a nice try but a non-starter. Tanks couldn't use their big mitigation, for one, and certain abilities will just walk all over you without a well-timed CD.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Mofn View Post
    Heyo folks,

I am likely not to only one who thinks this (though I dont have any statistics for you), but the Level 10 affixes are mighty boring. They add nothing interesting, simply requiring that you pull bigger numbers, in essence turning bosses and mobs into "bullet sponges" which are the most boring way to increase difficulty that developers ever came up with.[/I]

Fortified I'd agree with you in some aspects (they also make some trash brutal to deal with when coupled with teeming...). I actually enjoy tyrannical. Some boss fights force you to actually position correctly and handle mechanics and be aware a lot more. Especially when you hit that +18 and higher stuff. Then the optimization and co-ordination becomes an important factor in killing the boss. in 7.2 they updated a couple of the bosses with minor changes to their mechanics to make it be less boring or change the focus of the fight.

I'd agree with you on lower +10 affix though. it just slows it down and does nothing since the upgraded mechanics you can ignore and take hits from and just soak it. Idk how high you push your keys, but i find the higher Tyrannical keys to be enjoyable.

Personally, I think Fortified and Tyrannical add quite a bit to a dungeon. Tyrannical turns a harsh mechanic into one that would wipe you if you don't use a defensive - which often means the difference between being attentive and not paying attention to mechanics when you're geared. The same goes for fortified - there are a lot of mobs that have wipe mechanics when you couple raging and fortified if you don't pay attention.

I think the combination of them is enough to make the dungeon's mechanics important without having to add *more* mechanics. Your affix suggestions sound not bad though as level 3/6 ones. Except for the 3rd one, that would take a lot of player choice out of the game and make rotations super boring.

but i find the higher Tyrannical keys to be enjoyable.
    Its so much fun, that i stopped raiding recently. Not worth.

Deleted
    The +10 affixes are needed to make sure you actually play boss/trash mechanics and don't just overgear them. If they're boring for you, maybe you're not pushing high enough.

Your suggestions are terrible:
    1) Will be either trivial once you learned the new path and at most it would be annoying by forcing you into more trash than you actually need. Also would take out some of the tank's creativity of finding the optimal route. If it's changing dynamically every run, then you'll run into issues like "unpassable walls", "falling through the world", etc. much more.

2) There is enough boss mechanics in game. Putting more in just makes them interesting for a week and then everyone learned them anyway. Again, I think you don't push high enough keys and therefore don't encounter the situation where you actually need to PLAY all of the boss mechanics that are in game already.

3) Not sure what that would achieve other than annoy burst classes (which me as warlock would of course highly appreciate! )

There was a thread recently that offered some really cool ones that re-enabled some time pressure in those instances:
    - Fiend: A horrible fiend is following you and will slowly start crawling towards your group 10 seconds after you initiate the first combat. When he reaches the group, he does severe damage to either the whole group or the tank only. Increases in speed with each minute the group spends in the dungeon.

The poster had a couple more suggestions, but I only can remember this one as I really liked it.
    -

Suppressing would break some tank classes,at least I know it would break blood DKs,without vampiric blood we are nothing

Quote Originally Posted by ScrubRouge View Post
    I'd agree with you on lower +10 affix though. it just slows it down and does nothing since the upgraded mechanics you can ignore and take hits from and just soak it. Idk how high you push your keys, but i find the higher Tyrannical keys to be enjoyable.
    The first part is true though only if you outgear that level -- and it wouldn't really make sense to balance around people who outgear that content.

If you run keys on appropriate level both Tyranical and Fortified do make things substantially more complicated -- there is a lot of mechancis which you suddenly can't just brute force through. I personally like Fortified more since it forces you to be more strategic with cc / LoSing / etc... the importat thing is that if you think and have appropriate gear you can always somehow manage even hard fortified+teaming packs -- worst case scenario you kill just part of it and come back after wipe. While tyranical is also enjoyable, it is substantially more frustrating as often you can simply hit a hard wall in form of a boss where you are simply not able to handle a certain mechanic -- especially if you could simply cheese it with a different composition (e.g BM hunter on Ymiron)
    Last edited by pseudoJ; 2017-05-23 at 02:39 PM.