Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Frost Relics and Raiding: A Developer Tweet

Here is a recent tweet and response in regards to the frost relic situation we frost dks have to endure in Tomb:

Tweet @Warcraftdevs: "Missing frost trait Relic in Tomb. Any reasons? Howling Blast relic havent been in raid since EN."
    Response: "There’s a Shadow relic with the trait you’re looking for, dropped by a boss whose name rhymes with 'Lil Maiden'."

But like... y tho? This is TWO raids in a row we've had to deal with sub par frost relics which we happen to be stuck with two of. I don't know how the value of the relics will change in Tomb since we're losing the tier set bonus that greatly enhanced our Howling Blast damage, but I know that if things stay the same then we will all be using 905 Frost relics we RNG from BRH m+ rather than 920s of other traits. I dunno about you guys but when my 890 frost relic with BR is better than the 905s that keep dropping from Spellblade... it feels really fucking awful. Even if by some miracle of the gods I manage to get some 955 titanforged ambi relic I know that in the back of my mind I will be thinking "But it isn't even blast radius though"

I can understand the trinket situation but there really isn't an excuse for putting shitty traits on relics, especially when they put so many in Tomb. I believe there are 5 different ones? Cold as Ice, Ambi, Overpowered, Nothing but the Boots, Razorice one? Surely one of those could have been Blast Radius.

Feelsbadman

I hear that other classes don't have this issue. Are we alone in this? Are there other classes who have to suffer with us, or can they at least farm Mythic Nighthold for SOMETHING more reliable than praying for BRH 15 keys and frost relics? I, for one, know I'm sick and tired of relying on M+ for the best gear possible.

Edit: One of the reasons I made this was due to how snarky the response was. Not only did he dodge the question but... "lil maiden"? Really, Blizzard?
    Last edited by Hctaz; 2017-05-24 at 12:41 AM.

I will agree that it sucks that we don't have a BR relic in ToS, but to me it just sounds like your screaming into the void for the sake of it. The only reason BR relics are so good atm is because of the 2p t19, once that's gone all the relic values should normalise (depending on ap ratios). The only time at which it should pull ahead is 3 target cleave, and that's only by 5 ivls in which case i suspect people will use frostscythe anyways. All that aside if you wanna keep running Nighthold for titanforging (2p) be my guest, just remember you will have to run BRH for the relic

who the fuck cares, they're not much better than ambi relics without the 4set anyway

Deleted
    yeah blast radius relics are not gonna be that good as soon as we lose the 2 set from night hold. we actually get Cold as ice relics in the frost slot which will be really strong next tier with the breath and pillar synergy we get from the 2 set.

Well that was also a point of this thread: to see if Blast Radius was going to be something worth complaining about. You say that it won't be, but are you sure? We obviously won't get as much Rime but it still hits incredibly hard.

I suppose we just stack Cold as Ice and rely on Breath damage then?

Deleted
    Unholy will be the new shit and they get 2 Fallen Crusade and a Virulent Plague relic from tomb. gg wp

Face Palm trait for Monks have been missing on one of their relic-slots aswell... it seems like blizzard just dont check and balance stuff like this.

I just hope that another trait will be better. Thing is, swapping out 2p will be WAAAY down the line. Prob wont swap it out if u got high ilvl pieces from NH until max TF pieces from Tomb.
    almost 50% extra HBs is ALOT of damage.
    Last edited by exeetor; 2017-05-22 at 08:41 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    Well that was also a point of this thread: to see if Blast Radius was going to be something worth complaining about. You say that it won't be, but are you sure? We obviously won't get as much Rime but it still hits incredibly hard.

I suppose we just stack Cold as Ice and rely on Breath damage then?
    Well that's what I plan on doing. The 2 frost relics from tomb as cold as ice. And there is 1 shadow relic with blast radius so if it is still good I'll just use that. I don't really care enough to spam brh to get blast radius in the frost slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    They should have worked over the traits better in general. Should have separated utility traits from throughput traits and just implemented the dual trait system that way (all traits would be throughput and if you had that research trait would get a random utility trait as well).
    That was probably the first thought of everyone back then with 2 brain cells.. alas, we got slight chance for more AP ~ soooo interesting ..

Either way, I'm glad that iLvl is luckily the trump card for us and not the actual trait. While that makes it less exciting, it also makes it less awful to be dependent on incompetent devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I remember they had discussed this a few days before pulling the class research trait. I think it was probably just something they could not implement in time for programming reasons and/or they had trouble because perhaps some specs only had 2 utility traits and things work fairly different for tanks and healers as well.
    None of these are really a big issue though. If you are at all familiar with a class (which one would expect of the devs..) then you should be able to easily draw a line in the sand between garbage and desireable. Either way, I don't think they will attempt it again.

The snarky reply from the wow dev is a reason why the player base thinks the devs talk down to us. He didn't actually answer the concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeds View Post
    yeah blast radius relics are not gonna be that good as soon as we lose the 2 set from night hold. we actually get Cold as ice relics in the frost slot which will be really strong next tier with the breath and pillar synergy we get from the 2 set.
    there is an assumption here that people specifically wont go back for TF T19 2pc for frost, the performance gap between people who seek out TF T19 2pc and people who just shrug at it will be huge

in 2 months from now the level of complaints will be unreal between people who simply wear the new Tier and other who farmed up TF T19 2pc along with BRH for Blast radius relics.

the dmg difference in single target, AoE and cleave will be larger than BiS vs non BiS leggies

Quote Originally Posted by Baddok21 View Post
    there is an assumption here that people specifically wont go back for TF T19 2pc for frost, the performance gap between people who seek out TF T19 2pc and people who just shrug at it will be huge

in 2 months from now the level of complaints will be unreal between people who simply wear the new Tier and other who farmed up TF T19 2pc along with BRH for Blast radius relics.

the dmg difference in single target, AoE and cleave will be larger than BiS vs non BiS leggies
    Agree'd...BR relics will still be extremely solid next patch, and prob still the best option when HB can hit multiple adds with any consistency. The T19 2pc is here to stay for awhile longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Koochulu View Post
    The snarky reply from the wow dev is a reason why the player base thinks the devs talk down to us. He didn't actually answer the concern.
    I think it's more a "they didn't get it - again" kind of deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I think it's more a "they didn't get it - again" kind of deal.
    Are you saying he wasn't being snarky when he could have just answered the question? He DIDN'T answer the question. He "sports player'd" it. He gave an answer to A question similar to what he was asked but not to the one he was asked.

So tell us why there is no Blast Radius Frost relic anywhere in NH or ToS. Either they don't want to(my thought), or they're too lazy. It can't be laziness because it's a simple coding issue that is easily fixable.

It's a F'in joke.

I just want to be able to raid and get the gear i need....I'm tired of doing M+ and I haven't done a ton....I just hate the RNG of it...since it can literally be any piece in the dungeon.....Ive done BRH too many times with pugs, at that, to want to continue doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koochulu View Post
    I read it the same way as the dev at first, the guy who asked the question worded it horribly "frost trait relic" could definitely mean just a relic with a specific trait for frost. If he wanted it to be clear it would have said "frost relic". Dev's not going to read between the lines, then someone could say they didn't answer a question in a different way, he just answered it the way he read it.

Deleted
    Its the lazy way of 'keeping old Content relevant'.

As some ppl already stated i just hope with the new Tier-Set and at least T194p gone it wont be worth dropping huge amount of ilvls for BR Frost Relics at least for ST.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I read it the same way as the dev at first, the guy who asked the question worded it horribly "frost trait relic" could definitely mean just a relic with a specific trait for frost. If he wanted it to be clear it would have said "frost relic". Dev's not going to read between the lines, then someone could say they didn't answer a question in a different way, he just answered it the way he read it.
    Yea I corrected my question in a tweet after but... well as usual u dont get any answers from the devs and well... every single DK understood the question fine (check comments).

I just dont understand why that trait have been missing for so long

If the dev didn't understand the question then he wouldn't have specified the shadow version. He knew. He was just being a dink.