Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Dissolving the Dead - alkaline hydrolysis?

What are peoples thoughts about alkaline hydrolysis as a new form of human body disposal?

I was reading a interesting article on the BBC about it http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/...lving_the_dead and i thought wow how come i havent heard about this new form of cremation for the dead?

Basically instead of being buried or Burnt you can have your body dissolved in a Alkaline solution which is way more environmentally friendly than the other methods.

Apparently though only a handful of states in the US allow this method mainly because of backlash from church groups but if you read up about it i think it certainly can be the burial of the future!

What are your thoughts would you like to have your body disposed in this way or would you rather stick to more traditional methods even though this way is far more ecologically sound?

7+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather be packed into a TDU can and have my remains committed to the deep.

Deleted
    My thoughts are that freezing non-dead poeple should be a norm. Yes it damages cells and whatnot, it's impossible yadayada, because we currently lack tech to do it properly, but it only means you'd need to wait longer for tech to catch up to fix it, but who cares in perspective of eternal life?

i don't think "alkaline solution" sounds environmentally friendly.

that shit's gotta get dumped somewhere when you're done with it. a simple stick cremation pyre or digging a simple hole and throwing the body in is probably much more friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post

that shit's gotta get dumped somewhere when you're done with it. a simple stick cremation pyre or digging a simple hole and throwing the body in is probably much more friendly.
    Well the effluent apparently is very ecologically sound cause its just water and your bodies salts and sugars the rest is PH neutralised.

Told my wife several times now in the past week since her father died: either cremate me or bury me, I don't care. Just make sure some California dirt is with me so I may forever be with my beloved California. I could care less if she shoots me into space or deep sixes me into the ocean. As long as I have California with me, I'm a-okay. I also told her that if she buries me, she better have a plot picked out next to me because I don't want to be buried next to a stranger. It's a bit fucked up but she knows what I mean.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I rather be Cremated and stored in little gems or multiple urns spread around family members with motivational sayings written on them.
    Being dissolved seems lame with all the possible furneral choices

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You are assuming the damage is correctable. And storing all those dead people would run into money, not to mention space(and don't come back with "Space!")
    I surely think it's correctable, it just might take ages to learn how to do that properly. But it won't matter for frozen people, they will be just frozen patiently waiting for it. And since money is alredy run into all kinds of questionably 'social' things in moderns countries, I don't see a problem with that either. Actually I think storing fridges might be cheaper than keeping up cementaries. Mind you, it will be only temporary before tech catches up to fix those frozen poeple, once we know how, there will be no need to freeze them in the first place.

Fuck what church groups think, if it's environmentally friendly and I decide that's how to go, then that's how to go.

Deleted
    I want to be buried at the graveyard belonging to the church i was baptized in. It's out on the countryside close where i have lived all my life and it's beautiful. I pissed off half my relatives when i gave that answer because everyone wants to end up as a damn pile of ash have the urn buried close to the fucking city.

Deleted
    I feel like being shot into the Sun would be the funnest way to get rid of my corpse, maybe even while I was still alive. Of course, that would deprive the Earth of some stuffs over time if it was done to everyone. Still, we started in the stars, would be fun to end in one as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've told my wife that after I'm dead I don't care what happens to my body. She got mad when I suggested she dump me in Yellowstone and let the animals eat me.

As long as surviving family members are ok with it, I don't much care how bodies are disposed of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    And then where will we keep all the people who never die as more are born? Space is limited. Stop being silly.
    It might be, but it's not that scarce in this particualr case - you can put a fridge almost anywhere. The 'global' problem with space is something entirely different, it's that you can grow food only in certain areas and you can have access to water only it's certain areas and such stuff, which are all completely outside of the scope of this issue. Fridges don't have this limitation. Send all deads to Antarctica if you have to, it will still take ages to fill up the 'space', if that's the thing you consider a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Personally I rather be Cremated and stored in little gems or multiple urns spread around family members with motivational sayings written on them.
    Being dissolved seems lame with all the possible furneral choices
    Read the link that could still be done the part of your body that is left is bone from regular cremation which is basically ground into a dust the same thing is done after this as well.

The BBC's web designers are more impressive than that machine. And I think the machine is pretty impressive. So that says a lot about the BBC here.

Yeah this process doesn't dissolve your entire body it just dissolves all your organs and skin leaving a perfectly clean skeleton which is then pulverized just like in a normal cremation.

You actually get more keep sake of the person which is finely crushed bone dust that looks like white flour than you do with cremation!.

What is left is a watery solution that is just your left over sugars and salts and this actually helps the bacteria in water treatment plants.

A modern cremation according to that article uses more energy than a normal home uses in a week! So this is clearly more ecologically sound and if promoted right like saying hey this is just like a final spa for your body or if you perfer your body to be cleansed with water instead of fire which certainly sounds more appealing.
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2017-05-22 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    They use potassium hydroxide. Once it's neutralized, that's just fertilizer.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Incineration is fine by me. Most of your carbon gets bound with air to CO2, and the other stuff you get as ash in a little bag. Disolving you in some acid seems a bit too messy for my taste.. Your remains are essentially in some goop bath afterwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The BBC's web designers are more impressive than that machine. And I think the machine is pretty impressive. So that says a lot about the BBC here.
    You certainly have a point there..

I'd rather have my body donated for med students. Might be a surplus of bodies if everyone had similar ideas.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I feel like being shot into the Sun would be the funnest way to get rid of my corpse, maybe even while I was still alive. Of course, that would deprive the Earth of some stuffs over time if it was done to everyone. Still, we started in the stars, would be fun to end in one as well.
    It would be hillariously expensive atm as well, even if we did collect a few corpses before sending them off .