Twin Peaks (season 3)

So that started tonight. Do I need to have seen the first two seasons, or is this new season made with the fact in mind that there may be some new viewers who have never seen the original run?

Twin Peaks is a show that you need to watch more than once to fully understand what the hell is going on in my opinion, but that's definitely not a mark against it. It's well worth watching the first two seasons more than once if you want to. But I would definitely not watch season 3 without watching seasons 1 and 2 first.

Side note: the premiere of season 3 was fucking awesome. So good to step back in to the head of a director that's truly bizarre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Cooper's long-haired (and oddly familiar) doppelganger in "The Return" was very unsettling and creepy. It also wasn't lost on me in the diner scene with his compatriots that he was dining on creamed corn.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    I thought it'd be filled with nostalgia moments. And while there are some pieces thrown here and there, it doesn't go all out.
    I think newcomers would be just as confused starting with the 3rd season, than first watching the other two.
    So far, loving it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely start with the first seasons guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Episodes 3 and 4 were pretty meh. I enjoyed 1 and 2.

Do I have to watch the 90s show to watch the new stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Do I have to watch the 90s show to watch the new stuff?
    You need to become a higher being with an IQ of 450 in order to watch the new stuff while still maintaining an understanding of ~1% without watching the previous seasons.

Lynch is going all out. Dude might even surpass Eraserhead. You've been warned.

I watched it back in the day when it aired and I watched the dvds to get up to speed before the Return. There are A LOT of unnecessary scenes and lot of weird shit just in general that seems to be just for sake of being weird.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    The coop is finally back

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    I watched it back in the day when it aired and I watched the dvds to get up to speed before the Return. There are A LOT of unnecessary scenes and lot of weird shit just in general that seems to be just for sake of being weird.
    I don't think any of it is unnecessary. That's just how you may view those scenes without fully understanding them in their overall meaning or context. Its just that people are used to very straight forward a b c kind of story telling and that's not what Lynch is into.

It's so incredibly refreshing for me to get new Lynch filmmaking (first major outing since Inland Empire ten years ago), even more so in this familiar yet expanded setting of Twin Peaks. The series is a monster and feels more like a Lynch movie / Fire walk with me. The innocence of the original TV show is gone, but I think that's okay.

My only frustration is that it is too big. With ensemble casts across three different locations there is a lot of jumping around and minimal breathing room and depth for some of the characters. I crave for more moments esp from some of the new characters. Amanda Seyfried has been amazing as Becky, and the guy who plays Richard Horne has been incredible too. I also really like Chrysta Bell as the female FBI agent. #babe

Ohh and Naomi Watts as Dougie's wife and Laura Dern as the fabled Diane so perfect!

15+ Year Old Account
    The slow burn over the first 14 episodes really made some of the moments in the last two episodes even more powerful and cathartic. I actually teared up during the scene between Ed and Norma, and that wouldn't have happened without the weeks (and years) of tension and longing building up to it.

Same with Cooper's return.

Well, having watched S3 in its entirety, I can only say that it's... different. There's an abyss between it and pretty much anything else currently or recently on the (western) market. If you've watched something like (e.g.) Westworld S1 and you've thought that it was a brilliant "mind fuck" then you're in for a rude awakening.

It's niche, to the point of being experimental art. It will make you feel stupid. It will make you feel obtuse. It will challenge you in ways that defy logic and reason. It will not hold your hand and it will not sugarcoat anything (the season finale, S3E18, is a stark reminder of the latter). It's awesome and I love it.

It has blown my mind, really. There's a huge WTF roaring inside my mind, and I remember vividly that I experienced the same way back in the day, having watched S2. Good stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 9 episodes in and this is the greatest mindfuck my brain has ever received so far. That episode 8, I don't even know anymore.