View Poll Results: Would you like to see the original Alterac Valley added to pvp brawl.

Voters
143. This poll is closed
  • No

26 18.18%
  • Yes

117 81.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I love the idea, but Brawls are like 5-10 min games of fun.

Old AV would take multiple hours, it would need to be a special brawl considering the rewards, most people probably wouldn't see the end of those games.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmartin View Post
    Dang man you would EAT your tea?? No time to get the hot water and let it steep?! That's one way to get your caffeine
    Tea is a term for night time meal you in bred mongrel! :P but yes even the tea drink would go straight down!

Absolutely not.

I say that having loved AV dearly. I was in a 72+ hour AV once or twice and the leadership on both sides built watch rotations where you had to be available to ensure the ongoing struggle. It was AV, work, lunch break rush home for a push, back to work (late), off work then AV until about 3 hours before work, nap, repeat.

Back then winning really meant something. There was serious pride involved because you knew the enemy. They were on your server. You fought them every day in WSG and AB. You knew your allies. If you wanted to ever have a hope in pushing rank, your rep meant something. You couldn't just afk out without there being consequences since everyone knew each other.

That type of community is gone in gaming and WoW's evolution, no doubt, had a big part to play. Still love WoW. Best game ever, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Didn't TM vs SS event and Ashran, remind you how horrible that game play is? or is this just rose tinted glasses taking over?

I am both a resounding YES!!!!!

and.... i agree with just about all of the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Kwyn View Post
    Absolutely not.

I say that having loved AV dearly. I was in a 72+ hour AV once or twice and the leadership on both sides built watch rotations where you had to be available to ensure the ongoing struggle. It was AV, work, lunch break rush home for a push, back to work (late), off work then AV until about 3 hours before work, nap, repeat.

Back then winning really meant something. There was serious pride involved because you knew the enemy. They were on your server. You fought them every day in WSG and AB. You knew your allies. If you wanted to ever have a hope in pushing rank, your rep meant something. You couldn't just afk out without there being consequences since everyone knew each other.

That type of community is gone in gaming and WoW's evolution, no doubt, had a big part to play. Still love WoW. Best game ever, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Didn't TM vs SS event and Ashran, remind you how horrible that game play is? or is this just rose tinted glasses taking over?
    TM vs SS was excellent imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    TM vs SS was excellent imo.
    Agreed until the kills needed dropped to 200 or so.

You mean 24+ Hour AV matches?

Fuck. Yes.

That shit was awesome, and a ton of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

I would be indifferent. It'd be a big let down to see them do that instead of something I find fun/interesting.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I want it back just for a chance to get my 1000 kills for a hidden artifact skin - last AV I queued I got 3 HKs. That's gotta be wrong....
    Join a horrible pug at dragons of nightmare mythic, wipe frequently and you'll get your 1000 kills no time (unless they finally fixed it). It's how I got mine during EN mythic prog :P
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

My most fond memory of old school AV was how the archer npcs did some serious damage, like 15% of your HP per shot and had insane range, and actually impeded you from sneaking past unless you were stealthed. It encouraged team play by moving past the towers in groups, and encouraged you to actually destroy the tower and go up and kill the npcs rather than try and bypass it. (I think they respawned after a while if the tower wasn't destroyed).

One thing I don't miss is how having one shoot at you generally meant you were stuck in combat for next 10 mins.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never played original AV but I'd love to try it. ^^ Looks so much fun from old videos and reading about those bosses that you could summon

10+ Year Old Account
    i would resub for this brawl alone

YES!!!!

But would it actually work out well? I'm not so sure....they'd need to put in some good rewards for spending potentially hours in a single AV. The game right now is a currency hoarding grindfest. So if the gameplay is sub-par, if players think they can get better AP/hour elsewhere, or if it starts eating into their Nethershard/War Supplies farming.....it's going to be a chitstorm of apathy.

Now I never did a 2-day classic AV, which is why I wanna try this out, but it seems like the motivations back then were gaining honor for powerful gear and prestigious titles, plus the overall fascination with it. But there's so much to do in the game now - I'm not sure if people will really invest into classic AV.

But it's just a Brawl right? so it's niche already anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post

Both TM vs SS and Ashran have far more in common with current AV than classic AV. In the end it was zergfests with choke points.

I didnt play the early version of it, but i heard from many people the pre patch AV was very similar to the old AV because of npc scaling. I had alot of fun with AV then and would very much like them to scale up the npc's so you could actually play the battleground properly. Current AV isnt very fun as its whoever zergs fastest win.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwyn View Post
    Absolutely not.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by evermynd View Post
    Old AV would be nowhere near as epic as you remember it. The long games and summoning of npc's was a result of people not knowing wtf to do. Now that people know it is a lot more like today's AV with more trash.
    And this.

Also Ashran showed me that large scale PvP at this point is just a mess and no where near as fun as it was in Vanilla and TBC. I MEAN FFS THERE ARE SO MANY FREAKING PETS! Your just getting stampeded my multiple pets from hunters, DKs, Locks, etc.

Also large PvP was a war of attrition normally between the ranged on both sides until one got the guts to vanguard in with their melee. Just getting randomly Death Gripped into an army of enemies and the trampled to death is not fun.

Blizz would have to make quite a few changes to modernize Old AV.

10+ Year Old Account
    So each match would last for days and you never actually complete it? Nothx.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    So each match would last for days and you never actually complete it? Nothx.
    Understand that you got a bunch of benefits for participating. You didn't really have to win, you got an absurd amount of honor and reputation for the epics the AV vendor had. That's why if AV popped you dropped what the hell you were doing and took the queue. Imo that's the core reason Ashran sucked, you actually had to win to get benefits, and demanding that a massive zerg performs, that you have little control over is BS. Where as Old AV you still got great rewards even if you lost. Wintergrasp was fairly similar I think in that win or lose you got a lot for participating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Understand that you got a bunch of benefits for participating. You didn't really have to win, you got an absurd amount of honor and reputation for the epics the AV vendor had. That's why if AV popped you dropped what the hell you were doing and took the queue. Imo that's the core reason Ashran sucked, you actually had to win to get benefits, and demanding that a massive zerg performs, that you have little control over is BS. Where as Old AV you still got great rewards even if you lost. Wintergrasp was fairly similar I think in that win or lose you got a lot for participating.
    I wouldn't mind if they add a literal never ending AV as a Brawler event, but they'll also need to change a few things such as the weekly quest. It can't be simply "Win a Brawl" they'll have to change it to something like killing the other faction's captain or world boss they can summon. Also, they need to remove the /afk Deserter debuff for those who want to leave.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Yes, but I don't think we'll see it in a truly classic incarnation. It would be an abridged version where the matches would last 1-2 hours and I would be so down for that. Yes, tune the rewards to make it rewarding so people do it, but there is no greater PvP experience than an epic Alterac Valley match. This is proven by the pre-expansion patches where everything is 10 levels higher and it returns to what it was: people summoning the elementals, aerial assaults, upgrading troops etc.

Good news is they are already/have already discussed it at Blizzard.