Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

What to upgrade first? Cpu or Gpu?

Hey Everyone , so i have a question... i dont know what to upgrade either the intel core i5 6500 3.20 GHz to an intel core i7 7700k or upgrade a the gpu from a 1060 6gb to a 1070 and maybe maybe a 1080 but still questionable
    I want to getter better fps for games like gta , battlefield 1 and destiny 2 wich is coming later this year

so im here so u guys can help , what should i upgrade first my cpu or gpu

Post your full configuration please. Also, what kind of fps are you getting right now, and what kind of fps do you expect? Settings would be appreciated aswell.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    rn i have a
    intel core i5 6500 3.20 GHz
    gtx 1060 6gb
    16 gb ram
    1TB HDD

games that i play rn h1z1 in cities 80-100 , out side cities 120+- , but im waiting on d2 , and i want to be ready to it at least 144 fps sec (specs for destiny 2 non revealed yet)

I need your motherboard model. Thing is if you dont have a Z170 board (which you most likely dont) getting a 7700K is pointless as you wont be able to overclock it. 144 FPS Destiny 2 spec is likely a top spec build, which will require replacing your whole system. You can sell your build for about $600 and the new build is around $1300-1500 (if you dont need a 144 Hz monitor with it also), so around $1000 investment here.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Deleted
    motherboard is a gigabyte B150M-D3H-CF

You're likely going to need a whole new system. Upgrading videocard is pointless as it's going to be bottlenecked by a processor. Upgrading the processor is pointless as you dont a Z170/Z270 board.

Deleted
    i mean i could get a i7 6700 and it will work, im thinking on getting a watercooler

- - - Updated - - -

maybe even get a Asus Z170-A motherboard

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    I need your motherboard model. Thing is if you dont have a Z170 board (which you most likely dont) getting a 7700K is pointless as you wont be able to overclock it. 144 FPS Destiny 2 spec is likely a top spec build, which will require replacing your whole system. You can sell your build for about $600 and the new build is around $1300-1500 (if you dont need a 144 Hz monitor with it also), so around $1000 investment here.
    Or he could just lower some settings, game settings are not linear for the performance hits. Even the 1060 or RX 480 will be able to do 120 or 144 FPS with medium settings, games don't look bad at those settings, considering medium settings is console level and developers can't afford to console versions look bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your best upgrade right now is the CPU, but to get the most you need an unlocked processor to overclock, and that means changing your MoBo. No need to go all the way to the new i7, you can grab an i5 7600K and be fine as long as you overclock it, if you need to save some money for the MoBo. If budget is not a problem, then you can get the i7 nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    Your best upgrade right now is the CPU, but to get the most you need an unlocked processor to overclock, and that means changing your MoBo. No need to go all the way to the new i7, you can grab an i5 7600K and be fine as long as you overclock it, if you need to save some money for the MoBo. If budget is not a problem, then you can get the i7 nonetheless.
    i can get the 15 7600k the Asus Z170-A motherboard and in the summer upgrade the gpu to an 1070 will it be good ?

If the game you want to build a computer for is Destiny 2 then save money and wait with the purchase. Coffee Lake will most likely release before Destiny 2 comes to PC.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpira View Post
    i can get the 15 7600k the Asus Z170-A motherboard and in the summer upgrade the gpu to an 1070 will it be good ?
    Yes. See how it goes after you have the new CPU/MoBo and check how high you can push the overclocking while keeping the system stable, it should help a lot on performance. Look into coolers as well for that (it goes without saying that you do NOT go over 4ghz on a stock cooler, but that's kinda obvious).
    I've used an old 2500K for years while pushing it from 3.3 to 4.5 and the results were impressive. I never went higher cause I'd have needed another new cooler for that and I saved for a new build.

Edit: OR, you can wait and check performances after the game is out. I've been sticking to Intel for a long time now, but it looks like the new Ryzens have quite the untapped potential, it will be interesting to see how they work out when they get more support. It would probably still be better to pick an Intel CPU, but for the first time since like... 2005, there may be an actual choice.
    Last edited by arel00; 2017-05-23 at 06:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

i mean i could get a i7 6700 and it will work, im thinking on getting a watercooler

- - - Updated - - -

maybe even get a Asus Z170-A motherboard
    No point in watercooling a non-overclockable processor. Dont buy new previous generation hardware, it's going to be more expensive and slower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    Yes. See how it goes after you have the new CPU/MoBo and check how high you can push the overclocking while keeping the system stable, it should help a lot on performance. Look into coolers as well for that (it goes without saying that you do NOT go over 4ghz on a stock cooler, but that's kinda obvious).
    I've used an old 2500K for years while pushing it from 3.3 to 4.5 and the results were impressive. I never went higher cause I'd have needed another new cooler for that and I saved for a new build.

Edit: OR, you can wait and check performances after the game is out. I've been sticking to Intel for a long time now, but it looks like the new Ryzens have quite the untapped potential, it will be interesting to see how they work out when they get more support. It would probably still be better to pick an Intel CPU, but for the first time since like... 2005, there may be an actual choice.
    alright so for now and Asus Z170-A and Intel Core Kabylake i5-7600K and maybe after a watercooler?

Destiny 2 isn't out on PC for a looooooooong time. It would be stupid to buy upgrades in anticipation for it right now. The other games you have listed can be played on the rig you have currently.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    alright so for now and Asus Z170-A and Intel Core Kabylake i5-7600K and maybe after a watercooler?
    Be careful of this. While the Z170 will support Kaby Lake it'll only do so after getting a BIOS update and you need a working processor in order to perform the update. Since KL support is out-of-the-box and pricing is virtually identical I'd just go with a Z270. In fact, some suggest that Z270 will be compatible with Coffee Lake but that remains to be seen as of now.

If I were you though and not interested in Ryzen, I would save every dollar until September since what you have now certainly is no slouch for 1080p60hz gaming. If the rumors are true then you might even be able to look in to a Coffee Lake build and, in spite of it likely being another single-digit refinement, I'd be curious to see if they'll introduce lower prices or more "mainstream" solutions.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-05-23 at 07:23 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    GPU

6500 at stock is basically equivalent to a 2500k @ 4.5 (in most situations), so since you at least have 2500k stock performance you have plenty of headroom for more GPU power.

You'll get large performance increases in all those games despite the CPU.

Then in some situations the CPU will be the bottleneck.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2017-05-23 at 07:25 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Destiny 2 isn't out on PC for a looooooooong time. It would be stupid to buy upgrades in anticipation for it right now. The other games you have listed can be played on the rig you have currently.
    A few months ... like this fall, almost certainly September as that is their fav time for releases, which is less than 4 months away. Gameplay has been released from a recent event, pvp and pve combat is smooth and refined, it's seems to be in the polish and details phase, preorder betas should start soonish as well, in the next month or two iirc.

And people, the 7700k turbos to 4.5; that what my 6700k max oc is. So even without a z270 he'd be fine, just need to make sure a bios update to support the chip is done first. What, buy a z board for a few hundred MHz that won't really be noticed? I didn't see frames go up going from 4.2 turbo to 4.5 oc; stayed around 100 avg on ffxiv.

You don't need a water cooler, a high end air cooler performs about equal with aio. I used a hyper 212+ on a 2500k @ 5-5.1 GHz. I recommend better, but it worked for me.

Hell, you may not need to upgrade at all tbh. Isn't the 1060 around the 970 level? 6500 turbos to 3.8 I think? Do wait to see min/recommended specs for the game. Right now save your money.

Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    A few months ... like this fall, almost certainly September as that is their fav time for releases, which is less than 4 months away. Gameplay has been released from a recent event, pvp and pve combat is smooth and refined, it's seems to be in the polish and details phase, preorder betas should start soonish as well, in the next month or two iirc
    For console yes. PC version is delayed. Not coming earlier than October and there are even rumours about it not releasing this year.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    For console yes. PC version is delayed. Not coming earlier than October and there are even rumours about it not releasing this year.
    its not confirmed its delayed