Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Single-payer healthcare could cost $400 billion to implement in California

http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...1&noRedirect=1

Interesting, even after applying money spent on existing healthcare systems, the cost would still be between 50 and 100 billion a year. That's a lot of money.

CA is CA and im all for states passing their own laws, I wonder what the mentality is behind spending tax payer money on illegal immigrants being covered under the single payer plan. Seems like a huge cost that wouldn't get paid back into the system.

A single-payer healthcare system in California — a galvanizing cause among the state's progressive flank — would cost $400 billion annually, according to a legislative analysis released on Monday.

The analysis, released in advance of the proposal's hearing in a key fiscal committee, fills in what has so far been the biggest unanswered question concerning the plan to dramatically overhaul California's healthcare coverage.

The analysis found that the proposal would require:
    •A total cost of $400 billion per year to cover all healthcare and administrative costs.
    •Of that, $200 billion of existing federal, state and local funds could be repurposed to go toward the single-payer system.
    •The additional $200 billion would need to be raised from new taxes.

The analysis proposes one scenario in which a new payroll tax on employers — with a rate of 15% of earned income — could supply the new revenue. But the measure itself does not contain a specific tax proposal, and therefore would not, at this point, need a two-thirds vote to approve a new tax.

The write-up also notes that a universal healthcare proposal would likely reduce spending by employers and employees statewide, which currently ranges between $100 billion and $150 billion annually. Therefore, the total new spending under the bill would be between $50 billion and $100 billion each year.

Under the bill, the state would cover medical care for every resident in California, including those without legal immigration status. Enrollees would not have to pay premiums, co-payments or deductibles.

The analysis cautions that the single-payer bill, SB 562 by Sens. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens) and Toni Atkins (D-San Diego), would required "unprecedented changes to a mature healthcare system."

"Therefore, there is tremendous uncertainty in how such a system would be developed, how the transition to the new system would occur, and how participants in the new system would behave," it notes.

10+ Year Old Account
    California is probably one of the few states that could actually afford this. Oregon would go broke. Will be interesting to see how this goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    gee i wonder why supertony is bitching about healthcare costs and illegal immigrants? tell us supertony what is your real agenda behind this obvious attempt at painting single payer as bad for the country.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post

Interesting, even after applying money spent on existing healthcare systems, the cost would still be between 50 and 100 billion a year. That's a lot of money.

CA is CA and im all for states passing their own laws, I wonder what the mentality is behind spending tax payer money on illegal immigrants being covered under the single payer plan. Seems like a huge cost that wouldn't get paid back into the system.
    Because it is cheaper to include illegal immigrants than to exclude them and have them show up at emergency rooms driving up costs for US citizens. This is why Texas and California ERs are always strained.

California is trying something that is very bold given that not even Canada faces such logistics. If California can pull it off then it would be a huge win for not only universal single payer healthcare for other US states to copy but also other countries as they see increasing populations.

Is this with or without the California government regulating prices for healthcare down so bandaids don't cost $300 dollars at a hospital? Because a large part of why single payer works in other countries, for cheaper than the US, is because they're able to regulate price for healthcare and drugs. Trying to do it without the regulation is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Because it is cheaper to include illegal immigrants than to exclude them and have them show up at emergency rooms driving up costs for US citizens. This is why Texas and California ERs are always strained.

California is trying something that is very bold given that not even Canada faces such logistics. If California can pull it off then it would be a huge win for not only universal single payer healthcare for other US states to copy but also other countries as they see increasing populations.
    it's a good point, Illegal immigrants flood our ER's here in AZ, heck for a while in southern AZ, it was hard to find a good OBGYN because of illegals not paying the bills.

I'm not against healthcare reform in and of itself, although to be honest im skeptical at best when it comes to our government being able to pull it off and have the service be affordable, effective, and universal.

I'll be interested to see how CA pulls it off.

I think the best way a system like this could work currently would be to introduce co-pays to the system. A one time payment per visit, based on income. This way people using the system would pay their fair share vs people who did not need healthcare.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly people accepting feelings over economics.

They want everyone, illegal or not to benefit, yet want a minority group to foot the bill.

7+ Year Old Account
    Going to be interesting watching this progress till passed or killed.

it's a good point, Illegal immigrants flood our ER's here in AZ, heck for a while in southern AZ, it was hard to find a good OBGYN because of illegals not paying the bills.

I'm not against healthcare reform in and of itself, although to be honest im skeptical at best when it comes to our government being able to pull it off and have the service be affordable, effective, and universal.

The problem is that as population increases there are problems (eg NHS) but also how the working population is distributed. Right now there are less workers under 25 than over 25 in the US and many Western countries. So, medicare, and social security face issues as a result of an inverted demographic pyramid and many of the universal health care system in the west face the same dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Mostly people accepting feelings over economics.

They want everyone, illegal or not to benefit, yet want a minority group to foot the bill.
    Who do you think pays for the illegals when they go to the emergency room for treatment then can't pay?

About those arguments about how universal healthcare would cost the US so much money:

We already spend more tax money than every single country other than Norway. When you add in private funds we dwarf every other country. All of that money and the system is still a heaping pile of shit. Everyone bitches about how much it would cost when the real problem is how we spend the money we already allocate. Proper universal healthcare paired with a healthcare system that wasn't managed by a 4th grade art class would most likely save us money.
    Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    gee i wonder why supertony is bitching about healthcare costs and illegal immigrants? tell us supertony what is your real agenda behind this obvious attempt at painting single payer as bad for the country.
    LOL refer to previous post

Look Dranei lover, I'm not against the "idea" of universal healthcare, I just don't trust our government in implementing it. CBO has estimated the cost at 2.6 trillion for the first year and 30 trillion over 10. Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    About those arguments about how universal healthcare would cost the US so much money:

We already spend more tax money than every single country other than Norway. When you add in private funds we dwarf every other country. All of that money and the system is still a heaping pile of shit. Everyone bitches about how much it would cost when the real problem is how we spend the money we already allocate. Proper universal healthcare paired with a healthcare system that wasn't managed by a 4th grade art class would most likely save us money.
    Yes the problem with US healthcare isn't cost spent but lack of effectiveness and efficiency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    California is probably one of the few states that could actually afford this. Oregon would go broke. Will be interesting to see how this goes.
    Oregon IS broke....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post

If you want it managed by the feds, a 4th grade art class would be an improvement.

If the illegals weren't here in the first place they wouldn't be at the hospital. And we wouldn't have to pay for their healthcare. Check mate.

I honestly don't know if this will work, a big portion of how to make single payer healthcare work is to reform prices. I doubt one state has enough power to force hospitals, big pharma and insurance companies to stop price gouging in the US. I am afraid people will look at this if it fails and say single payer does not work but without pricing power this is probably doomed to fail.

Single payer is a pipe dream without real reforms in place first to reduce costs across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Without capped drug and treatment costs. It'll only get worse. Everything from med school on up needs to be reexamined. Why the hell a generic of effoxxr cost 250 bucks is criminal.
    Two pills of aspirin will be $30 in a hospital when you go to Walgreens around the corner a buy an entire bottle for half that lol. Lack of price controls is probably the only sane starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    Two pills of aspirin will be $30 in a hospital when you go to Walgreens around the corner a buy an entire bottle for half that lol. Lack of price controls is probably the only sane starting point.
    Then they create artificial drug shortages so prices go back up again. I'd like to see reimbursements go away. That is part of the problem.