Gear progression in FF14 vs ESO

Im looking for a new mmo, and am wondering what gear progression is like in these 2 games.

As a note, please only comment if you are or have been an endgame player in one or both of these games in the last 6 months or so.

As a point of reference, I find wows gear progression almost universally boring. Trinkets and sometimes sets are the only brightspots, the +xxx more secondary and +xxx more primary stats on all the other slots, are pretty boring to me at this point.

Does FF14 or ESO do anything different or interesting with their endgame gear progression?

ff14 is pretty linear in gear progression like wow is even more so imo.While eso is very different in a way and depends on the meta for what ever type of play style you want since most of the best gear can be crafted or acquired n the over world randomly you can get end game gear by buying most of it off a guild store,crafting it or finding it randomly doped in the over world or get it from a dungeon or the daily undaunted quests it's very open add in the fact you can also upgrade most of the gear to give it a flat stat bonus.That is not even considering traits that can make or break an item for what ever build you are going for Can't tell you the hundreds of times I had to run maelstrom arena for a maelstrom weapon with the perfect trait.

Forgot to mention final fantasy 14 has a free trial up to level 30 or so so try that before you buy and we have a recruit a friend thread in the ffxiv forum if you enjoyed the demo I don't think eso has a trial yet but it's not too expensive for just the base game and goes on sale fairly often and both games are having an expansion launch in June with eso already having the pre patch launched.
    Last edited by smackyslap; 2017-05-23 at 05:34 AM.

I just read the news that FF14 will be selling "level boost" and "story boost" too.

I guess ESO is the only choice for you now, unless you don't mind Microtransaction.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    I just read the news that FF14 will be selling "level boost" and "story boost" too.

I guess ESO is the only choice for you now, unless you don't mind Microtransaction.
    You doubt have to use those and it doesn't effect other players and those are more for people who don't care about story
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You do not have to use those and it doesn't effect other players and those are more for people who don't care about story
    A new player MUST buy the "story boost", because some quests are "group only".
    You can easily spend hours waiting in the LFD queue.

Of course, it is perfect for someone who doesn't mind to pay for it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

The "group only" quests are dungeons, for which you get priority in the queue when you have to do it for the story the first time, and they'll never get depopulated to the degree you're implying because leveling roulette is a thing.

Anyway, as for the actual question, I can't say about ESO but FF14 has straightforward gear progression, yes. Just more stats, no special procs/abilities on gear.

A new player does not need to buy the story boost nor should they not at all since higher levels players have to run through that old content for their daily roulette anyhow the wait time is so low never more than 15-20 minutes for any of the dungeons/trials a leveling player will be forced to do and this is if you are dps you roll a healer or tank the wait time is goning be almost nothing.At least this has been my experience in midgarsomar.

and come on microtransaction and you tell him eso is his only option? eso basically sells you in game gold with the mimic stones and have xp scrolls essentially the same thing as a boost to 60 they are both as guilty of having microtransaction of around the same level.
    Last edited by smackyslap; 2017-05-23 at 10:12 AM.

Deleted

1. Wait out the time, its at most 45 mins at peak for dps.

2. Go to the nearest main city and shout "Need help with x story dungeon"

3. Open party finder and list it there

4. Be amazed of how insanely helpfull and friendly the FFXIV community is compared to the toxic cesspool that WoW has become.

This is bizarre.

First, you buy the game and pay $15 monthly fee, so you can play the game.
    Then, you pay $25 to skip the story, so you don't have to play the game.

Anyway, FF14 main quest is long and boring.

On topic, if you find WoW gearing system is boring, FF14 is the same.

No they don't you're exaggerating
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    No they don't you're exaggerating
    The boost is NOT on sale yet.
    We don't know the effect.

You have to admit the main quest is long and boring.

15+ Year Old Account
    The FFXIV story is long, but I enjoyed it a lot, myself.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Why does having a level boost and story boost negate FFXIV from his choices? They are 100% NOT required. Queues will be just fine without the boost. Leveling will be just fine without the boost.

But thats not what you said.

You said they MUST buy it because the queues will be super long. Leveling Roulette + Priority queue for MSQ negates your "hours" waiting.

We get it. You dont like FFXIV and reading your comments here, it really makes me feel like you havent even played the game or if you have, you never made it to max level due to the "long and boring" MSQ.

FFXIV is a story based MMO. It really isnt built for folks that complain about long quest chains in ever game they play..

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Im looking for a new mmo, and am wondering what gear progression is like in these 2 games.

As a note, please only comment if you are or have been an endgame player in one or both of these games in the last 6 months or so.

As a point of reference, I find wows gear progression almost universally boring. Trinkets and sometimes sets are the only brightspots, the +xxx more secondary and +xxx more primary stats on all the other slots, are pretty boring to me at this point.

Does FF14 or ESO do anything different or interesting with their endgame gear progression?
    In ESO, There are dozens if not like a 100 armor sets that are current since all armor sets at max level are scaled at CP 160 (same stats) while max CP is now 630 but different set bonuses. If you loot it as rare you can upgrade it to epic and then legendary with crafting. Obviously certain sets are going to be better, but it isn't like WoW where if it is lower ilv it is worthless and only 1 set per tier.

Trials (raids) give armor sets that give group wide/group content set bonuses. Dungeons give unique armor sets as well and there are also monster sets for the helm and shoulder slot that you can only get in dungeons that are pretty good.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-05-24 at 02:37 AM.

Deleted

You don't spend hours waiting because you have priority in the queue system when you have to do it, just like you do in WoW when you have to finish the zone dungeon quests.

7+ Year Old Account
    On the story dungeons in FF14:

I'm working through 3.0 and did 2.0 last week. I MAYBE waited 10 minutes for people to fill my PF listing to help me do my story dungeons and trials.

OP: Progression in FF14 is linear and you have currency and gear thrown at you from so many directions it seems. The real end game gear is getting your grown ass man Barbie looking awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

On this, I do agree. It's like they saved all the good stuff for the finale of S1.

But it's worth watching so you can enjoy S2 (which is soooo much better so far).
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

I haven't touched or looked at ESO, but as a veteran of both FF14 and WoW at high end gaming. I can say if you dislike the itemization systems in WoW; FF14 will frustrate you even more so in that regard. The itemization is beyond bland. It does however have numerous other redeeming features, but itemization isn't one of them.

The game follows a very strict vertical ilvl climb. get X gear, do weekly gated currency get x+1 gear. Do normal raids to give you x+1 gear that can later on scale to x+2. Do savage (basically mythic) raids get x +2 gear.

The next patch that drops will release dungeons that drop x -3 gear (so dead on arrival, other than glamour aka transmog). You can then do the 24 man easy raids that come every odd patch which drop x gear (so also basically dead on arrival).

The patch after that will then drop new gear we'll now call X+3. More weekly currency to upgrade said gear to x+4, while new savage raid drops x+4. more dungeons that drop x-1 gear now (still dead on arrival).

Deleted

"players HAVE TO BUY IT"

"its not out we dont know the effect yet"

No game vs game. :P
    Last edited by Rukh; 2017-05-24 at 08:58 PM.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post

FF14's gear progression is vertical, with hard mode (Savage, as it is referred to in game) raiders getting access to the highest ilvl gear fastest, assuming they are able to clear the content. Over the course of several months, SE adds methods for non-raiders to close the ilvl gap, but they don't simply mail you savage mode gear.

There are no fancy proc effects from any items, and there's nothing that really resembles the trinket slot/items whatsoever (I suppose you could refer to the soulstone slot as a trinket, but it's largely irrelevant in the context of gearing).

The actual stats themselves are getting a much needed overhaul in Stormblood (the upcoming xpac):

- Parry stat on tank gear is going away; being replaced by Tenacity, which is essentially WoW's Versatility stat. It's only on tank gear, and given how pathetic Parry was on the tank gear...Tenacity is a huuuuuge improvement. Parry in FF14 only reduced incoming physical damage by a set amount (20-25%), unlike WoW, where last I recall, a parry completely mitigated whatever damage the attack would've done 100%.

- Accuracy stat (remember hit rating? Same thing, basically) on gear is going away; it'll be replaced by Direct Hit, which is essentially WoW's multistrike stat. Only dps will benefit from this stat (it won't show up nor apply for tanks and healers).

Long story short, I doubt you would enjoy the gear progression in FF14, based on your OP.

- - - Updated - - -

Comically false regarding this and pretty much every post you've made in this thread.