Thread: Wow addiction

Horde Wow addiction

Hey guys,
    I know there is a huge stipulation between world of warcraft and addiction. I was just wondering what you all think about it and had a few questions.
    How many hours do you spend a day on average playing WoW on Weekdays? on weekends?
    Do you know anyone addicted to wow?
    If you do know someone addicted to WoW, how do you know they are addicted/ why do you think they are addicted?
    How would you define WoW addiction?
    Do you consider yourself addicted, if so what makes wow addicting to you?
    Thanks guys.

I've never associated WoW with addiction in my life. In fact, the thought that people could become addicted to a video game is completely alien to me. This is a completely new concept which has surely never been explored in any capacity by anybody. To be completely honest, I have to hand it to you for realizing that there's even a possibility for people to become addicted to WoW. You are a trailblazer, and I'm sure the research you're conducting today will have long lasting and far reaching impact in this brave new world of "video game addiction."

Bravo, sir.

You are truly one of a kind. Thank you so very, very much for your new, exciting and completely original topic of discussion!

Deleted
    I guess it's the "help me write my school paper"-season again.
    Just a tip though, a strawpoll would have probably been easier

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    I guess it's the "help me write my school paper"-season again.
    LOL FTW /10 char

we are all addicted to wow lets just be honest. No one plays wow 1-2hrs a day and achieves anything.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't known anyone to be addicted to WoW in ages. That was a problem with MMOs of the past, but the new super casualized cyclical MMOs don't really have that issue. People play, and when they stop having fun they stop playing. Well except for people like Asmongold and Preach I suppose who seem to legitimately hate everything about WoW but continue playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    I haven't known anyone to be addicted to WoW in ages. That was a problem with MMOs of the past, but the new super casualized cyclical MMOs don't really have that issue. People play, and when they stop having fun they stop playing. Well except for people like Asmongold and Preach I suppose who seem to legitimately hate everything about WoW but continue playing it.

See, the problem is I think that they dont "Hate" WoW, the things blizzard does hinders the enjoyment of the game. The things I dislike don't make me hate WoW but lessen the fun when I play. Its not so much more hate for WoW but less fun when I play.

10+ Year Old Account
    so called "wow addiction" helped me stay off drugs and alcohol, back in a day, I don't play wow anymore though...
    i7 4770k 4.6GHZ................................................ ¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
    OCZ Arc 100 x2 (240g) RAID 0.........................°º¤ø„¸? Druid ,„ø¤º°¨
    Kingston HyperX 8 gig 2400.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨ For Life! 0¤ø„¸
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 OC.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ ¨°º¤ø

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyrick View Post
    Hey guys,
    I know there is a huge stipulation between world of warcraft and addiction. I was just wondering what you all think about it and had a few questions.
    How many hours do you spend a day on average playing WoW on Weekdays? on weekends?
    Do you know anyone addicted to wow?
    If you do know someone addicted to WoW, how do you know they are addicted/ why do you think they are addicted?
    How would you define WoW addiction?
    Do you consider yourself addicted, if so what makes wow addicting to you?
    Thanks guys.
    Man I remember when I was the nerdiest Warcraft 3 fan back in the early 00s, with all the collector's edition items, the posters on the wall, the shirts and stuff.

When vanilla released I secluded myself for 3 f*cking months and devoted my existence to the game. Didn't talk to my friends and family, just hardcore gaming for 90 days. What made the game so addicting was that it introduced something amazing and revolutionary that none of us had seen until then and it made us stick like flies on sugar cubes.

I still like the game and the direction it's following but I'm the type of person who dwells too much on the past, the glory days so to speak. It's the playerbase/community on my realm that made me love the game. During TBC my realm was mostly locked/queue mode , right now it's in low mode, I know the cap is increased but it's still very barren. So no more WoW for me.

World of Warcraft is one of the finest tuned virtual addictions on the planet. 38 yo lifer lol.

Playing a lot less these days though with token prices rising. I refuse to pay $$$ even though it's paltry. Probably going on hibernation until ToS is opened.

Everything is basically an addiction if you enjoy it and do it often. Took me 20 years to quit smoking cigarettes and you pay money for those too. Eventually I think it comes down to is the time (=money) you spend worth it? If you are playing wow 12 hours a day and it makes you miserable you should probably give it up. Everyone has their own motivations for continuing to play. As a lifer I mostly like to keep up with the game from time to time but I don't take it very seriously anymore. I rarely raid. I rarely do much of anything but open boxes and get legendaries (Emmisary and Legionfall caches).

High of the game for me was easily Wrath. Mostly due to the fact I was very active and enjoyed the content and the people I was playing with at the time. 99% of my friends have moved on from WoW. At this point I mostly feel like a relic, an nothing is new/fun/exciting and I have a quickly diminishing tolerance for noobs and bad play. The end result of playing the same game for 13+ years.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, i'm not addicted. I play like one hour per day and sometimes I have no desire to play it.

Been playing for 10 years but took a 2 year break during Cata, one year break during MoP, and one year during WoD.

Used to be addicted back in classic up to the start of Cataclysm. After that it ended, because the changes made to the game made it not very enjoyable.

Was about 11 to 12 years old in classic, and skipped classes/went home earlier from school to play. Did low level PvP and enjoyed the heck out of it so much, plus levelling my enchanting and sold my enchants for a good coin. People even paid 50 silver or some such for beastslayer enchant.

Did my low level PvP at level 29, 39, 49 and then when TBC hit I decided to hit 60 and do AV for a long, long time. I stayed at 60 until the middle of TBC, only doing AV BG constantly. Had a really nice community for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play about four hours a week. That's been my pattern for a some years (probably starting with being that relaxed during Cataclysm). I play maybe seven or eight hours a week when an expansion is new and I'm getting my first character leveled.

Not addicted. Not in a hurry. Never the first to get anything done, nor do I really want to be, but by the end of the expansion I've seen everything and done what I want to do.

I played a lot during Wrath and that was the last expansion where I think I truly enjoyed raiding. Would not consider myself ever addicted to World of Warcraft. Supporting that I don't think there's ever been a time where I only played World of Warcraft. I play lots of games, enjoy all sorts of stuff from strategy games to arcade stuff to the occasional Facebook game. I also read about 50+ books a year.

Life is short. Too short to waste on a single thing like WoW. It's a great game but it's not the only thing.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-05-23 at 06:27 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Addiction...? Not sure... Obsession? Yeah that would be it for me.

From Vanilla until Cataclysm I played:
    mon - fri: 7 hours a day - while at work I researched and recruited for my guild 50% of my time.
    sat - sun: 12 hours a day (or more)

This lead me to missing birthdays of people I knew, wrecked friendships and made me gain weight like insane. Also I was very much single with the occasional girlfriend that never lead to anywhere. (for obvious reasons)

So yeah... was this addiction or obsession? I thought about wow during the day almost every moment. I dreamed about it when asleep.

Nowadays or rather from MoP onwards... I played a few hours and canceled my sub more then once for a year or half a year on and off. I now play perhaps 6 hours a week max and don't feel the need to log in. Still I do think about it when I am at work. Maybe because my work is boring haha

15+ Year Old Account
    Somebody is still addicted to WoW in 2017? This topic seems "time-lost"...
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Yes I am addicted to wow, for a good reason.

It's basically my mind-numbing drug to ease the pain from major depression.
    Last edited by Beefkow; 2017-05-23 at 07:10 AM.