Thread: Ret vs Retri

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Ret vs Retri

Since as long as I can remember Ret has always been the short form for Retribution , similar to how Prot is the shorthand for Protection. Recently on several forums I've started to see people shorthand Retribution to "Retri."

This is far and away the most ridiculous thing that has happened to Paladins recently. The whole purpose of shorthand is to make communication more concise and adding a 2nd syllable to the shorthand "Ret" does nothing to make it more concise, so why change it?

I havn't been noticing this much until recently (Legion) and I don't understand the change, would someone like to enlighten me with the reasoning for this unnecessary change?

(I know this post is stupid but what the hell else is there to talk about until the patch hits?)
    Last edited by Talvindius; 2017-05-23 at 03:01 PM.

Deleted
    Ret is short for Retlol, isn't it?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea why some people abbreviate it as something other than Ret. Even worse is when they do this weird double abbreviation and call it a "Retridin" or some stupid shit.

It's current year meme, people. Lets not be unreasonable.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Ret, Retri, Retridin, Retardin and so on, there are many many ways to call the spec and most are used however the hell one likes, I don't see a problem here. Ret is the easiest to say and everyone understand it, but if some weirdo wants to use anything else, let them roll with it
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    Ret is short for Retlol, isn't it?
    lolret...get it right please

The real question is, who the fuck cares?

Ret is the real deal... and "Pala" Away with the stupidity of "Pally"

Madness will consume you!!!

Always called it Ret, and so have most people I've talked to.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I have no idea why some people abbreviate it as something other than Ret. Even worse is when they do this weird double abbreviation and call it a "Retridin" or some stupid shit.

It's current year meme, people. Lets not be unreasonable.
    I have not heard someone call it a "Retridin" but I would get pretty triggered too. At that point it's just trying to upset people.

This is really a random topic. Not sure anyone has really lost sleep over using different abbreviations for things.

Shorthand is basically down to the individual writing, there's many forms of it and trying to apply a universal method it is like expecting the dictionary not to include words like Selfie. Shorthand is to compress the amount of information on a smaller space and to increase the speed of how to cross communicate. Concise isn't about the length of words it's actually dealing a point in fewer words. Retri or Ret used in a sentence is still going to be one word and a few letters shorter doesn't translate at all to being concise.
    So your point is is neither for being concise or really to be effective at shorthand.

Just a pet hate that's all. And a petty one too.
    Last edited by Evangeliste; 2017-05-23 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    Always called it Ret, and so have most people I've talked to.
    Same I was just wondering why anyone would try to change it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always been Ret/Retri for me.. Or 'DPS'
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    Since as long as I can remember Retribution has always been the short form for "Ret," similar to how Protection is the shorthand for "Prot." Recently on several forums I've started to see people shorthand Retribution to "Retri."

This is far and away the most ridiculous thing that has happened to Paladins recently. The whole purpose of shorthand is to make communication more concise and adding a 2nd syllable to the shorthand "Ret" does nothing to make it more concise, so why change it?

I havn't been noticing this much until recently (Legion) and I don't understand the change, would someone like to enlighten me with the reasoning for this unnecessary change?

(I know this post is stupid but what the hell else is there to talk about until the patch hits?)
    I think you meant "Ret is the short form for Retribution" not "Retribution is the short form for Ret"

I once had a guildy that called retribution paladins.....rent spec. Legit. He called it rent. When questioned about it he said it was rent short for the dps paladin spec.

OP: It could always be worse lol.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

I think people do that because "ret" could be (seriously or jokingly) considered short form for "retarded"

Deleted
    Always been Ret for me, also never liked "pally" so I'm glad Pala is a thing now.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    I have not heard someone call it a "Retridin" but I would get pretty triggered too. At that point it's just trying to upset people.
    I hate it because it's a misuse of an abbreviation and sounds incredibly stupid. You don't write more for less unless there's a reason such as something already having that abbreviation. If you're going to abbreviate a word, don't do this weird backwards half assery where you're too lazy to write the entire word while not being efficient enough to boil it down to the bare minimum.

No one calls a Demonology Warlock a "Demono", an Assassination Rogue a "Assass" or a Discipline Priest a "Discip" but *Look out!* here comes the Retri, Retra, Retridins, Retradins and Pala Rets!

I need to refill my fridge now.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-05-23 at 03:01 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

ive actually seen Paladins referred to as "palas" instead of "pallys" it bothers me quite a lot

7+ Year Old Account
    It's Retri for me, but then again, most Germans use that. With German pronounciation, Ret sounds weird, while Retri makes it a great deal smoother. And I actually use Pala when talking in German, but use Pally for English conversations

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    I think you meant "Ret is the short form for Retribution" not "Retribution is the short form for Ret"
    I did. Changed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I hate it because it's a misuse of an abbreviation and sounds incredibly stupid. You don't write more for less unless there's a reason such as something already having that abbreviation. If you're going to abbreviate a word, don't do this weird backwards half assery where you're too lazy to write the entire word while not being efficient enough to boil it down to the bare minimum.

No one calls a Demonology Warlock a "Demono", an Assassination Rogue a "Assass" or a Discipline Priest a "Discip" but *Look out!* here comes the Retri, Retra, Retridins, Retradins and Pala Rets!

I need to refill my fridge now.
    You should rename that image "3wholeseconds.jpg."

I agree with why it's triggering. Phonetically Ret is the only shorthand I can say without cringing from how bad it sounds, same with Pally. Pala sounds incredibly dumb.