Thread: Forsaken Castle

Forsaken Castle

found this earlier today

played the demo and enjoyed it.

link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

It's basically mario/old megaman but with anime girl?

look fun 10 chars
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

15+ Year Old Account
    Beat the demo. Boring music expect the boss theme. No polish. No backslide. No xp so no reason to fight anything. Way too easy. B-b-but alpha! Not much is gonna change with that very small budget. Kyuto/10

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    think more metroid + castlevania.

It's Anime Metrovania.

Nothing like Mario outside of side scrolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It's Anime Metrovania.

Nothing like Mario outside of side scrolling.
    "Nothing" like mario.. yeh.. I'll take bullshit for 500 alex. I mean.. this is 2017.. Those games are all basically the same.

"Nothing" like mario.. yeh.. I'll take bullshit for 500 alex. I mean.. this is 2017.. Those games are all basically the same.
    You don't understand Mario or Castlevania if you think the games are even remotely similar outside of side scrolling.

Claiming a momentum based platformer is similar to Metroidvania in anyway is flat out laughable and shows your gaming ignorance.

Beat em ups and 2D fighters are side scrollers as well, you gonna call them similar to Mario now?

You don't understand Mario or Castlevania if you think the games are even remotely similar outside of side scrolling.

Claiming a momentum based platformer is similar to Metroidvania in anyway is flat out laughable and shows your gaming ignorance.

Beat em ups and 2D fighters are side scrollers as well, you gonna call them similar to Mario now?
    Well.. no.. I wouldn't since I have never played Castlevania.. and I only played metroid on the Nintendo DS (the FPS one)..

The only difference is she can glide on the floor, uses a whip instead of fireballs, and can grab on to walls.

Those who have eyes sees that it's a Castlevania clone.

It looks good though and probably worth $10 to buy.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-05-24 at 07:38 AM.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

7+ Year Old Account
    It looks okay, it clearly needs a lot of polish to stick out in the modern gaming space, being more or less a Castlevania clone isn't enough. A major areas for improvement is in the main character's hair and "dress" animations, they simply lack much movement (nearly any for her ponytail) and it makes the animations feel very stilted, that and the lack of a turn around animation leads to very stiff animations. I am hopeful that the remake of Lily succeeds in offering these new animations. If they can nail the art and the music then it will likely be worth playing even though the gameplay doesn't seem to be anything special within the genre (it's a pretty small genre).

Well.. no.. I wouldn't since I have never played Castlevania.. and I only played metroid on the Nintendo DS (the FPS one)..

The only difference is she can glide on the floor, uses a whip instead of fireballs, and can grab on to walls.
    "The only difference" and names 3 things.

You also missed the most glaring one, Mario is momentum based. You know that part where the longer you run the faster you get, the faster you are going into a jump the further you jump? You know that thing that makes Mario, Mario.

But yea, Metroidvania games are totally about momentum based platforming and jumping on enemies heads /facepalm.

Mario is a momentum based 2D platformer about navigating an obstacle course. Metroidvania are side scrolling adventure games where you're exploring a level and learning enemy attack patterns to successfully kill them while taking the least amount of damage.

This is akin to calling Dark Souls and Uncharted the same. They're both 3rd person games bro! Only difference is one uses a gun and the other is primarily melee combat! Yes, that's the ONLY difference trust me.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-05-24 at 08:01 AM.

"The only difference" and names 3 things.

You also missed the most glaring one, Mario is momentum based. You know that part where the longer you run the faster you get, the faster you are going into a jump the further you jump? You know that thing that makes Mario, Mario.

But yea, Metroidvania games are totally about momentum based platforming and jumping on enemies heads /facepalm.

This is akin to calling Dark Souls and Uncharted the same. They're both 3rd person games bro! Only difference is one uses a gun and the other is primarily melee combat! Yes, that's the ONLY difference trust me.
    The guy is a n00b in real life.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a painfully generic Metroidvania clone. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, except there are a shit ton of Metroidvania clones in the indie gaming space and a lot of them are incredible like Axiom Verge and Ori and the Blind Forest.

I wouldn't since I have never played Castlevania.. and I only played metroid on the Nintendo DS (the FPS one)..
    Then you should cease posting in this topic, because this game looks like textbook Metroidvania.

As such, there's a few things the game needs to do before launch. For one it needs an actual transition into dialogue. Having it just suddenly appear on screen is jarring. If you're going to ape Castlevania then just look at how Symphony of The Night did it. The music fades out, the screen moves to frame the scene, the dialogue window actually fades in and the text types out letter by letter.

Also the monsters need some real death animations. That purple puff of smoke might pass for trash mobs, but boss monsters call for something more spectacular.

10+ Year Old Account
    No way, they're using the old Gold Box AD&D 2.0 font.