Thread: Elvui in PvP?

Elvui in PvP?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but since Legion started, I tried doing PvE and got myself a Guild.
    I had fun, it felt great to return to WoW and try something new.

However, that part of WoW for me is now over and I would like to return to PvP, my primary enjoyment in this game.

Since I started PvEing though, I used Elvui, and i'm now very used to it. My friend tells me to get rid of that shit for arenas, and it did honestly feel strange to use in arenas, but not sure if it's because i'm used to the default Ui with gladius like i always did.

Basic question, should i just use a different Ui setting for my pvp char? Thanks in advance..

I don't have any experience with ElvUI (aside from it crashing and messing up the default UI) but many pro players just stick with the default UI along with Gladius or another addon that improves arena UI.
    "Leave your personal feedback, don't try to convince them that "everyone" hates something." - Ion Hazzikostas
    It's actually Wowhead, if I quoted directly from Ion the signature would drag out too long.

Deleted
    Used to love ElvUI myself, but could not for the life of me figgure out how to make it work in PvP properly. Ended up ditching the whole thing and swapping to MoveAnything +sArena. The way debuffs are displayed and prioritized are just way better in the original UI, with ElvUI its either too much or not enough.

I'm the reverse, when I wanted to try a new UI it felt weird not having elvui's arena frames. back to using elvui again recently

Deleted
    Pretty sure the common problem is that Elvui just conflicts with very common PvP add-ons, such as BigDebuffs and Gladius.

Really though the only things that are important in your arena frames is clearly seeing the castbars, additionally it's also useful to see DRs, enemy trinkets and just overall good to have the frames closer to the middle so you can more quickly react to things. If Elvui provides you with these, then it's good enough to play with, but in any other case - consider just using the normal ui.

theres nothing in elv thats preventing you from performing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    theres nothing in elv thats preventing you from performing.
    There is one major concern:

You are not allowed to use UI addons during tournaments. True, 99,5% of the playerbase won't make it, but still, better get used to the default UI. Seen from best practice in software development, you should also scrap everything, but necessary(due to security and performance related concerns).

OP - if you feel like some inspiriation, that supports both PvP and PvE, I will suggest this(ive been trying to optimize it for years now):

UI:
    -Shadowed Unit Frame(or some other Frame addon).
    -Move Anything.
    -Bartender(optional).
    -TMW.
    -Gladius.
    -Skada.

Some of these are not good to "get used to" in terms of PvP, but in the other hand, you can do PvE anytime and perform perfectly fine as well, without being dependent on major UI changes. You can after some time(after enough practice), also simple disable these in PvP(everything but Gladius)and you are good.

Else:
    Addons with minor impact, if you feel like it(fx. maps, chatbox, bags, questhelpers and all that).

Thats it. Very clean, simple and not messing too much up the default UI.
    Last edited by mmocd6fe3ee806; 2017-05-27 at 01:18 PM.

I've used elvui for a few years now in pvp without issue, It won't be what holds you back

It depends on what you want to do, if for some reason your goal is professional tournaments then as Strifeload says, no addons is the way to go as thats likely all they will allow. However the reason they do that is not that its better, but that its a even playing field.

So play with what works for you, if your used to Elvui use that, if its not showing what you want to know change it, add other addons, experiment until your happy.

Deleted
    I'm too lazy to get rid of ElvUI. The only problem I have is ElvUI messes with relentless/adaptation etc. Even though default arena frames show this information, when ElvUI is active it won't. My arena mate constantly is having to tell me what trinkets the enemy hs etc. it's quite annoying. I don't know if there's any way to fix this without getting rid of ElvUI completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bekro View Post
    I'm too lazy to get rid of ElvUI. The only problem I have is ElvUI messes with relentless/adaptation etc. Even though default arena frames show this information, when ElvUI is active it won't. My arena mate constantly is having to tell me what trinkets the enemy hs etc. it's quite annoying. I don't know if there's any way to fix this without getting rid of ElvUI completely.

Did you try updating to current build?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by akusokuzan View Post
    Did you try updating to current build?
    Yep, I always keep it updated. You don't have this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Balticbear View Post
    Pretty sure the common problem is that Elvui just conflicts with very common PvP add-ons, such as BigDebuffs and Gladius.

I've used gladius with Elv for years.

you just have to turn off the Elv pvp frames.

Deleted
    I used ElvUI with gladius, tmw and some minor weakauras just to track when imps etc would despawn when i got Gladiator in december (S1 or S2?) as a Demo lock.

Spent hours customizing ElvUI tho, i kind of only wanted a small part of the UI, so i had to disable really much of that addon to feel ok.
    Should probably have been way easier to use some other UI addon than the complete ElvUI and disable 90% of it, but after several hours i got it to where i wanted.

How it turned out is displayed in this short clip that i had saved if anyone is interested how i had my pvp UI set up.

/SarcasticCredulousOrangeWTRuck

Edit, apparently i'm not allowed to post links yet, this is a twitch clip, ending with that name of the link, i guess you can find it.