Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Comey Manipulated By Fake Russian Document To Make Derogatory Clinton Statements

The press conference that Comey held to make what DAG Rosenstein called "unfair" and "derogatory" statements against Hillary Clinton in the email investigation, and that violated DoJ protocol was done because Comey was manipulated by a fake Russian document.

So it turns out that Comey was an unwitting stooge for Russia, helpfully doing their work in rigging the election for Trump.

Is this the most successful covert intelligence operation in history? Seriously, Russian intelligence successfully turned the FBI Director into their tool, they manipulated him into breaking DoJ protocol to publicly smear Clinton with a bogus email scandal that fizzled into nothing.
    How a dubious Russian document influenced the FBI’s handling of the Clinton probe

A secret document that officials say played a key role in then-FBI Director James B. Comey’s handling of the Hillary Clinton email investigation has long been viewed within the FBI as unreliable and possibly a fake, according to people familiar with its contents.

In the midst of the 2016 presidential primary season, the FBI received what was described as a Russian intelligence document claiming a tacit understanding between the Clinton campaign and the Justice Department over the inquiry into whether she intentionally revealed classified information through her use of a private email server.

The Russian document cited a supposed email describing how then-Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch had privately assured someone in the Clinton campaign that the email investigation would not push too deeply into the matter. If true, the revelation of such an understanding would have undermined the integrity of the FBI’s investigation.

Current and former officials have said that Comey relied on the document in making his July decision to announce on his own, without Justice Department involvement, that the investigation was over. That public announcement — in which he criticized Clinton and made extensive comments about the evidence — set in motion a chain of other FBI moves that Democrats now say helped Trump win the presidential election.

But according to the FBI’s own assessment, the document was bad intelligence — and according to people familiar with its contents, possibly even a fake sent to confuse the bureau. The Americans mentioned in the Russian document insist they do not know each other, do not speak to each other and never had any conversations remotely like the ones described in the document. Investigators have long doubted its veracity, and by August the FBI had concluded it was unreliable.

The document, obtained by the FBI, was a piece of purported analysis by Russian intelligence, the people said. It referred to an email supposedly written by the then-chair of the Democratic National Committee, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.), and sent to Leonard Benardo, an official with the Open Society Foundations, an organization founded by billionaire George Soros and dedicated to promoting democracy.

The Russian document did not contain a copy of the email, but it described some of the contents of the purported message.

In the supposed email, Wasserman Schultz claimed Lynch had been in private communication with a senior Clinton campaign staffer named Amanda Renteria during the campaign. The document indicated Lynch had told Renteria that she would not let the FBI investigation into Clinton go too far, according to people familiar with it.

Current and former officials have argued that the secret document gave Comey good reason to take the extraordinary step over the summer of announcing the findings of the Clinton investigation himself without Justice Department involvement.

Comey had little choice, these people have said, because he feared that if Lynch announced no charges against Clinton, and then the secret document leaked, the legitimacy of the entire case would be questioned.

From the moment the bureau received the document from a source in early March 2016, its veracity was the subject of an internal debate at the FBI. Several people familiar with the matter said the bureau’s doubts about the document hardened in August when officials became more certain that there was nothing to substantiate the claims in the Russian document. FBI officials knew the bureau never had the underlying email with the explosive allegation, if it ever existed.

Yet senior officials at the bureau continued to rely on the document before and after the election as part of their justification for how they handled the case.

Wasserman Schultz and Benardo said in separate interviews with The Washington Post that they do not know each other and have never communicated. Renteria, in an interview, and people familiar with Lynch’s account said the two also do not know each other and have never communicated. Lynch declined to comment for this article.

Moreover, Wasserman Schultz, Benardo and Renteria said they have never been interviewed by the FBI about the matter.

Comey’s defenders still insist that there is reason to believe the document is legitimate and that it rightly played a major role in the director’s thinking.

“It was a very powerful factor in the decision to go forward in July with the statement that there shouldn’t be a prosecution,” said a person familiar with the matter. “The point is that the bureau picked up hacked material that hadn’t been dumped by the bad guys [the Russians] involving Lynch. And that would have pulled the rug out of any authoritative announcement.”

Other people familiar with the document disagree sharply, saying such claims are disingenuous because the FBI has known for a long time that the Russian intelligence document is unreliable and based on multiple layers of hearsay.

“It didn’t mean anything to the investigation until after [senior FBI officials] had to defend themselves,” said one person familiar with the matter. “Then they decided it was important. But it’s junk, and they already knew that.”

An FBI spokesman declined to comment. Comey did not respond to requests for comment.

The people familiar with the Russian document spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss its contents. No one familiar with it asked The Post to withhold details about its origins to safeguard the source.

Several of them said they were concerned that revealing details now about the document could be perceived as an effort to justify Trump’s decision to fire Comey, but they argued that the document and Comey’s firing are distinct issues. Most of the people familiar with the document disagree strongly with the decision to fire the director, but they also criticized current and former officials who have privately cited the document as an important factor in the decisions made by Comey and other senior FBI officials. Comey told lawmakers he would discuss it with them only in a classified session.

Email not obtained

After the bureau first received the document, it attempted to use the source to obtain the referenced email but could not do so, these people said. The source that provided the document, they said, had previously supplied other information that the FBI was also unable to corroborate.

While it was conducting the Clinton email investigation, the FBI did not interview anyone mentioned in the Russian document about its claims. At the time, FBI agents were probing numerous hacking cases involving Democrats and other groups, but they never found an email like the one described in the document, these people said.

Then on July 5, Comey decided to announce on his own — without telling Lynch ahead of time — that he was closing the Clinton email case without recommending charges against anyone. Aides to Comey said he decided to act alone after Lynch met privately with Bill Clinton for nearly a half-hour on an airport tarmac in Phoenix about a week earlier — and have since said privately the Russian document was also a factor in that decision.

The appearance of possible conflict arising from the Phoenix meeting led FBI leadership to want to show it had reached the decision independently, without political interference from the Justice Department.

About a month after Comey’s announcement, FBI officials asked to meet privately with the attorney general. At the meeting, they told Lynch about a foreign source suggesting she had told Renteria that Clinton did not have to worry about the email probe, because she would keep the FBI in check, according to people familiar with the matter.

“Just so you know, I don’t know this person and have never communicated with her,’’ Lynch told the FBI officials, according to a person familiar with the discussion. The FBI officials assured her the conversation was not a formal interview and said the document “didn’t have investigative value,’’ the person said.

Nevertheless, the officials said, they wanted to give the attorney general what is sometimes referred to as a “defensive briefing’’ — advising someone of a potential intelligence issue that could come up at some future point.

The agents never mentioned Wasserman Schultz to Lynch but told her there was some uncertainty surrounding the information because of “possible translation issues,” according to a person familiar with the discussion.

Lynch told them they were welcome to speak to her staff and to conduct a formal interview of her, the person said. The FBI declined both offers.

‘I’ve never heard of him’

Renteria, a California Democrat, first heard of the Russian document and its description of her role when a Post reporter called her.

“Wow, that’s kind of weird and out of left field,’’ she said. “I don’t know Loretta Lynch, the attorney general. I haven’t spoken to her.’’

Renteria said she did know a California woman by the same name who specializes in utility issues. The Loretta Lynch in California is a lawyer who once did campaign work for the Clintons decades ago involving the Whitewater investigation. Bloggers and others have previously confused the two women, including during Lynch’s nomination to be attorney general.

Wasserman Schultz and Benardo, the alleged emailers, were also perplexed by the Russian document’s claims.

Wasserman Schultz said: “Not only do I not know him — I’ve never heard of him. I don’t know who this is. There’s no truth to this whatsoever. I have never sent an email remotely like what you’re describing.’’

She added that she had met Lynch, the former attorney general, once briefly at a dinner function.

Benardo said of Wasserman Schultz: “I’ve never met her. I’ve only read about her.”

“I’ve never in my lifetime received any correspondence of any variety — correspondence, fax, telephone, from Debbie Wasserman Schultz,’’ he said. “If such documentation exists, it’s of course made up.’’

As for Renteria, Wasserman Schultz said she knew who she was from past political work but had “virtually no interaction” with her during the 2016 campaign. “I was definitely in the same room as her on more than one occasion, but we did not interact, and no email exchange during the campaign, or ever,’’ she said.

When asked, the individuals named in the document struggled to fathom why their identities would have been woven together in a document describing communications they said never happened. But others recognized the dim outlines of a conspiracy theory that would be less surprising in Russia, where Soros — the founder of the organization Benardo works for — and Clinton are both regarded as political enemies of the Kremlin.

“The idea that Russians would tell a story in which the Clinton campaign, Soros and even an Obama administration official are connected — that Russians might tell such a story, that is not at all surprising,” said Matt Rojansky, a Russia expert and director of the Kennan Institute at the Wilson Center. “Because that is part of the Kremlin worldview.”

The secret intelligence document has attracted so much attention recently that Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa) asked Comey about it during the director’s final public appearance in Congress as FBI director before he was fired.

Comey said that he had spoken with the heads of the congressional intelligence committees about the document privately but that it was too sensitive to discuss it in public.

“The subject is classified, and in an appropriate forum I’d be happy to brief you on it,” he told the Senate Judiciary Committee. “But I can’t do it in an open hearing.”

No such briefing occurred before he was fired.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b69_story.html
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2017-05-25 at 12:58 PM.

If that was the evidence Comey used to reopen the investigation into Hillary's email 3 days before the election, it's a big issue. Comey essentially put Trump in office by reopening that investigation, I truly believe this.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    The press conference that Comey held to make what DAG Rosenstein called "unfair" and "derogatory" statements against Hillary Clinton in the email investigation, and that violated DoJ protocol was done because Comey was manipulated by a fake Russian document.

So it turns out that Comey was an unwitting stooge for Russia, helpfully doing their work in rigging the election for Trump.

Is this the most successful covert intelligence operation in history? Seriously, Russian intelligence successfully turned the FBI Director into their tool, they manipulated him into breaking DoJ protocol to publicly smear Clinton with a bogus email scandal that fizzled into nothing.
    Incredible how with all of the amassing information on the forensic analysis of the 2016 elections, republicans are still on the whole silent. It's a sad state of affairs, yet not surprising to me, that US conservatives and republicans will exploit the disinformation campaign of the Russians for their own fucked up ideology.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Can you please provide one bit of proof - just one - that Russia "rigged" the election for Trump. Otherwise, all you have is a conspiracy theory.

On the other hand, sure is a good thing that Trump fired the "unwitting stooge". I mean, if the Director of the FBI could be manipulated...who is to say who is next?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Can you please provide one bit of proof - just one - that Russia "rigged" the election for Trump. Otherwise, all you have is a conspiracy theory.

On the other hand, sure is a good thing that Trump fired the "unwitting stooge". I mean, if the Director of the FBI could be manipulated...who is to say who is next?
    NSA and other IC analysts publicly testified that Russian counter intelligence conducted the largest cyber disinformation campaign last year in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan down to the county. They specifically targeted non college educated whites with Killary Klinton Konspiracy, Pizzagate, etc. Basically all the reasons why you so vociferously defend Trump. You have been deluded by Russian propaganda for 18 months and US conservative propaganda since the removal of the fairness doctrine in 1986.

10+ Year Old Account

It is my belief that 2017 will be the year where the world couldn't handle the reality that a political opponent won fairly and instead turned to political propaganda to weave their problems away.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    It is my belief that 2017 will be the year where the world couldn't handle the reality that a political opponent won fairly and instead turned to political propaganda to weave their problems away.
    He didn't win fairly, our IC publicly testified as to exactly how they deluded voters earlier this year. You are having the delusions, not what happened last year.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    NSA and other IC analysts publicly testified that Russian counter intelligence conducted the largest cyber disinformation campaign last year in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan down to the county. They specifically targeted non college educated whites with Killary Klinton Konspiracy, Pizzagate, etc. Basically all the reasons why you so vociferously defend Trump. You have been deluded by Russian propaganda for 18 months and US conservative propaganda since the removal of the fairness doctrine in 1986.
    It's just funny that Ransath and others, who needs no evidence for anything that they claim. Requires this level of support for something being brought up on the other side.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account

https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ICA_2017_01.pdf

(DNI = Director of National Intelligence, the head of the entire US intelligence community.)

Quote Originally Posted by Director of National Intelligence
    Russian efforts to influence the 2016 US presidential election represent the most recent expression of Moscow’s longstanding desire to undermine the US-led liberal democratic order, but these activities demonstrated a significant escalation in directness, level of activity, and scope of effort compared to previous operations.

We assess Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered an influence campaign in 2016 aimed at the US presidential election. Russia’s goals were to undermine public faith in the US democratic process, denigrate Secretary Clinton, and harm her electability and potential presidency. We further assess Putin and the Russian Government developed a clear preference for President-elect Trump. We have high confidence in these judgments.

- We also assess Putin and the Russian Government aspired to help President-elect Trump’s election chances when possible by discrediting Secretary Clinton and publicly contrasting her unfavorably to him. All three agencies agree with this judgment. CIA and FBI have high confidence in this judgment; NSA has moderate confidence.

- Moscow’s approach evolved over the course of the campaign based on Russia’s understanding of the electoral prospects of the two main candidates. When it appeared to Moscow that Secretary Clinton was likely to win the election, the Russian influence campaign began to focus more on undermining her future presidency

- Further information has come to light since Election Day that, when combined with Russian behavior since early November 2016, increases our confidence in our assessments of Russian motivations and goals.

Moscow’s influence campaign followed a Russian messaging strategy that blends covert intelligence operations—such as cyber activity—with overt efforts by Russian Government agencies, state-funded media, third-party intermediaries, and paid social media users or “trolls.” Russia, like its Soviet predecessor, has a history of conducting covert influence campaigns focused on US presidential elections that have used intelligence officers and agents and press placements to disparage candidates perceived as hostile to the Kremlin.

- Russia’s intelligence services conducted cyber operations against targets associated with the 2016 US presidential election, including targets associated with both major US political parties.

- We assess with high confidence that Russian military intelligence (General Staff Main Intelligence Directorate or GRU) used the Guccifer 2.0 persona and DCLeaks.com to release US victim data obtained in cyber operations publicly and in exclusives to media outlets and relayed material to WikiLeaks.

- Russian intelligence obtained and maintained access to elements of multiple US state or local electoral boards. DHS assesses that the types of systems Russian actors targeted or compromised were not involved in vote tallying.

- Russia’s state-run propaganda machine contributed to the influence campaign by serving as a platform for Kremlin messaging to Russian and international audiences.

We assess Moscow will apply lessons learned from its Putin-ordered campaign aimed at the US presidential election to future influence efforts worldwide, including against US allies and their election processes.

10+ Year Old Account
    He didn't win fairly, our IC publicly testified as to exactly how they deluded voters earlier this year. You are having the delusions, not what happened last year.
    We'll see that in a few years, I don't expect people to see this when they're emotionally in rubble.

That doesn't mean I support Trump. I may have in the past, but he did what he had to do. Now it's time to move on.
    Google Diversity Memo

[...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

15+ Year Old Account
    We'll see that in a few years, I don't expect people to see this when they're emotionally in rubble.

That doesn't mean I support Trump. I may have in the past, but he did what he had to do. Now it's time to move on.
    They have already testified about how the Kremlin interfered in the election. This has nothing to do with emotion, and everything to do with factual intelligence. You are in denial.

So, does that mean we have to disavow everything Comey says as Russian Propaganda now?

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    So, does that mean we have to disavow everything Comey says as Russian Propaganda now?
    How does the two relate?
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have already testified about how the Kremlin interfered in the election. This has nothing to do with emotion, and everything to do with factual intelligence. You are in denial.
    As far as I'm concerned, they stated that several actors tried to interfere with the election, not just Russia. But the noise of the anti-Russia propaganda -- And honestly, there's no need for anti-Russian propaganda because it's already despised by every single civilized country in the world -- cover everything else.

I'm not denying that Russia has tried to meddle in this election. I'm denying the fact that people attribute the Trump win to Russia, by making false connections and assuming that opinions and deductions are facts. Of course the Trump government had "unprecedented" ties with Russia, they wanted to mend the bond between the two countries. You've seen any other US government try to do this before? Of course not! That's what unprecedented means.

The IC has been weaving a web of lies since the beginning. There's a conflict even within the US ICs about what story to weave and it's leaking everywhere. There's no consistency in the story, just big figures with opinions that are taken as facts and anonymous sources that are being put on a pedestal.

But obviously, seeing how hard the Democrat's loss has been, it's unsurprising to see that people are looking for a black sheep and they've found one in Russia. At least the entity.

Don't you remember? Firing Comey was an act against Democracy! It was Trump saying he was guilty, right?
    Google Diversity Memo

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    How does the two relate?
    How convenient is it that email that Comey got was a "bogus Russian" one. Who says he wasn't aware it was "bogus"?

10+ Year Old Account
    You've seen any other US government try to do this before? Of course not!
    Um, Obama tried to mend relations with Russia the first year he was in office. They literally named it the Russian Reset.
    Eat yo vegetables

10+ Year Old Account
    How convenient is it that email that Comey got was a "bogus Russian" one. Who says he wasn't aware it was "bogus"?
    The IC is only conveniently competent.
    Google Diversity Memo

10+ Year Old Account
    The IC has been weaving a web of lies since the beginning. There's a conflict even within the US ICs about what story to weave and it's leaking everywhere. There's no consistency in the story, just big figures with opinions that are taken as facts and anonymous sources that are being put on a pedestal.
    You are bordering on clinically delusional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Um, Obama tried to mend relations with Russia the first year he was in office. They literally named it the Russian Reset.
    "On 6 March 2009 in Geneva, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton presented Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov with a red button with the English word "reset" and the Roman alphabet transliteration of the Russian Cyrillic alphabet word перегрузка ("peregruzka".) It was intended that this would be the Russian word for "reset" but actually was the word for "overload""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_reset

The irony in this is beyond word.
    Google Diversity Memo

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If that was the evidence Comey used to reopen the investigation into Hillary's email 3 days before the election, it's a big issue. Comey essentially put Trump in office by reopening that investigation, I truly believe this.
    Hillary could have eliminated that possibility by not running a private server, and turning over every email.