Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    More disgusting sweeping statements.
    It's the truth. If you know how to manage your life you won't end up homeless. Unless you're a drug addict or mentally ill, in which case I'd argue that you don't know how to manage your life either way.

Also, why wouldn't you want to talk to drug addicts? They're people, they deserve a chat with other people the very least.
    Then they can talk to other people that's not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    It's the truth. If you know how to manage your life you won't end up homeless. Unless you're a drug addict or mentally ill, in which case I'd argue that you don't know how to manage your life either way.

Then they can talk to other people that's not me.
    Yea they probably should talk to people who are more worth of their time, true.

I enjoyed all conversations with drug addicts and homeless people that I've had (and boy I had them) more than the few exchanges with you on this forum. I feel ill reading your shit.

Deleted
    Yes and No, I suppose? I generally try to treat others better than I expect them to treat me.

I feel ill reading your shit.
    So stop reading it.

No.

At first I may treat them according to this rule, if I have no reason not to. There are reasons why I dont, though. Generally, if you meet me, I will treat you according to the rule. What those reasons why I would not, I wont go about describing here.

You could say I treat people with some base level. There are things that can increase my opinion of them or reduce. Generally people have to deserve the increase of my opinion. The negatives can be gained very easily or even simply as my first impression of said person.

Deleted
    How disgusting that I choose to not associate with people who are either drug addicts, mentally ill or don't know how to manage their life.
    But you at least give people a chance to prove they are good? Or you have a lot of prejudice?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I would argue it is not semantics because the saying does not exist in a philosophical vacuum. Stoicism creates a certain worldview, and instills certain values where the Golden Rule might be expressed differently from, say a society that has a "eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" mentality. So usually when that saying is used, it is to uphold all the "positive" traits in a culture or society, like altruism, selflessness, politeness, etc.
    Well, philosophy and stoicism and all those kinds of things matter not. You can distill your Golden Rule down to mathematical logic, and I just +1'd it, so I made it better. It was indifferent and cold, and I made it worthwhile. Either way, dumb "rules" are dumb, whether "golden", brown or rainbow sparkles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the intelligent position is to assume that a very straightforward statement that someone might reasonably believe has some additional hidden meaning. You can look at several of the early posts to see that plenty of people take it pretty literally, which is the most straightforward way to interpret it. That you personally feel there is a different meaning there doesn't shield it from criticism, and that you wish to assume your ethical headcanon is real life has no bearing on anything. I'm not really willing to spend any more time arguing about something so asinine though. If you want to be super upset that anyone dares criticize the Golden Rule, that's your prerogative.
    Well wikipedia appears to agree with me. Sooo... I'm going to take Wikipedia's word over yours and anyone else should do the same.

People who are taking it so literally in this thread either haven't taken the time to give it any critical thought or further research or they're being disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    But you at least give people a chance to prove they are good? Or you have a lot of prejudice?
    I don't care to associate with people who are homeless as it means they've made some really bad choices in their life or they're mentally ill. Neither which lends me to think they're worth my time to associate with.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, the posters we get from SE Asia are almost always fucking hilarious.
    I'm not from SE asia, I only live here for the time being.

Deleted
    what if I'm a masochist

Oh, then where are you from so that you may be attributed properly?
    South Korea.

The rule is simple "treating others as one would wish to be treated". It's a way of life.
    -One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself (positive or directive form).
    -One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated (negative or prohibitive form).
    -What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself (empathic or responsive form).

Do you follow this rule?
    If you "do" or "don"t" explain why.

No, no one does - because its morally impossible.

A guy walks up to you and your wife and punches her in the face repeatedly. You now have to subdue him with force. Breaks - One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself and One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated

After subdueing him with force and probably leaving him knocked out, you now want him arrested and jailed for randomly assaulting your wife - breaks What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself (empathic or responsive form).

The 'Golden Rule' is a utopian waste of thought. Even if you somehow envision a world where no one is malicious, you will still encounter those that are simply mentally ill or rude by accident

What if I'm an asshole or a masochist? Either way, I tend to follow another "rule" - the harm principle.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

So stop reading it.
    I can't. It's literally like a train wreck.

South Korea.
    Now I'm not even surprised anymore.

You guys need to sort your shit out and treat people without University degrees like normal people.

I'm hardly the only one to criticize it for this reason, for what it's worth. Prominent philosopher's have done so as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule#Criticism
    Mhmm... yes. That's good. People think critically about it. It doesn't quite work as a blanket statement and doesn't answer every question about how to react in every specific scenario. But it very well could be the single best moral rule to live by. It does cover a very wide range of things.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The rule is simple "treating others as one would wish to be treated". It's a way of life.
    -One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself (positive or directive form).
    -One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated (negative or prohibitive form).
    -What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself (empathic or responsive form).

Do you follow this rule?
    If you "do" or "don"t" explain why.
    I try. I know there's consequences to my behavior and I try to be consistent about it. You reap what you sow and all that.

Pretty much, I tell people what their mistakes are just as I wish for people to tell me what I do wrong so I can better myself and not live in a lie thinking I'm perfect at everything like a good little spoiled millennial.

Some weaker minded people hate me for it. I don't give a fuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    I treat people with respect and human dignity as long as they don't fuck me over.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    I believe it was Jesus... Soooo yeah...
    ... must resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.