Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    If it weren't for cold war, there would be no landing on moon yet either. Hell, we might not even have ISS-scale space station.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Oh, you are actually my first encounter with you people, please tell me more how photos of earth taken from space are all fabricated.
    Look up Mathew Powerland, former NASA graphic artist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    If someone told me that exclusively eating your own shit was good for you I wouldn't really research any further into it.
    Yeah, but nobody is asking you to do something even remotely that offensive.

At the moment it would be a one way trip for the crew and even though some people have signed up for it i doubt they really have thought it through what will happen when the oxygen and food runs out!

TBH there really isnt much to be gained until we can work out how to bring people back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Do it for shits and giggles.
    What the fuck did I just read?

7+ Year Old Account
    It's a misunderstanding to think that sending a human to Mars would further scientific understanding by much.

It is largely a place that is more boring and barren than Earth, sending a machine is sufficient.

10+ Year Old Account
    In case It wasnt clear or not seen, drop going into flat earth talk or trying to disprove flat earth. You know we dont allow conspiracies or derialment by debating against conspiracies

Are you sure?
    Yes, why are you showing a video of a boat that hasn't crossed the horizon?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    In case It wasnt clear or not seen, drop going into flat earth talk or trying to disprove flat earth. You know we dont allow conspiracies or derialment by debating against conspiracies
    I will stop talking now, I just saw your post.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Because Mars, like the moon, is not an object that can be landed upon.
    *snippy snip*

infracted - minor spam

Anyone coming to this thread, reading the first page will see his post before your warning, as it's the third post on first page. Unless you delete it or add this warning to that post, I bet it will keep derailing by people quoting it more.

Case in point post above mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

I apologize, I actually didn't know that reaction images aren't allowed. Had a good laugh, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Couple of reasons off the top of my head:
    1. Cost
    2. Distance
    3. Time for preparation and travel
    4. The fact that landing on Mars is as dangerous as landing on the Moon if not more because it actually has an atmosphere unlike the moon.
    5. Also said atmosphere is almost the opposite of earth as it largely consists of carbon dioxide and also has lower pressure than earth meaning any travel there would require the shuttle to have massive oxygen stores or an equally efficient oxygen scrubber for the astronauts to survive getting and staying there.
    5. Pretty suicidal until space-tech advances enough for travel that supports the oxygen, flight and take off and landing requirements that a planet that's significantly further than our planet's gravitational pull has.

But yeah put a man on mars for the lols. ¬_¬
    Last edited by Darknessvamp; 2017-05-26 at 09:34 PM.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    What the fuck did I just read?
    That means "Do it for laughs."

- - - Updated - - -

You mods can't stop this. It's getting bigger and bigger. There's a Flat Earth Conference happening in Raleigh, NC this fall and that's going to be in the news. What are you going to do then?

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-05-26 at 09:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Mars, like the moon, is not an object that can be landed upon.
    Like a hologram?

10+ Year Old Account
    That means "Do it for laughs."
    No I meant when I googled flat earth clues.

I can not comprehend what I read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnish Nerd View Post
    IT HAS BEEN SO MANY YEARS since we we were last to the moon, why not Mars? It has been decades!
    Because today's leaders want to build walls and tackle immigration rather than exploration I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    because with current technology is a HUGE WASTE OF MONEY...the likes mankind has never seen
    I mean, if we don't invest now and go through the whole trial and error process when will we do it? How will we know that our technology is sufficient? It's always going to be a huge risk and we will never be certain we can do it before we try so when will it not be a "huge waste of money"?

The only reason getting to the moon was not considered a huge waste of money is because the US and Russia wanted to have a pissing contest. Nobody knew for a fact that it could be done until it was.

It takes way too long just to get there, I think with current tech its a 7-8 month travel. So boring. We can just send machines there.

The argument seems to be that it'd be too hard and a waste of effort, but really it's not like we got anything from the moon landing except bragging rights. It's not about getting something out of it, it's about proving we can. Advancements with earthly utility that come out of it, such as bulletproof vests, are a nice bonus.

I say flags on every planet until we run out of flags, and carve our names in sunspots on the sun's surface as flags would immediately incinerate.

Because science isn't about why, it's about why not?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Money is the reason, there are plenty who would go if they could.

15+ Year Old Account
    Space race is over since there's no Soviet Union. What's the point of travelling to Mars if there's no oil and no martians to blame in American domestic problems?

Here is the short answer by the man himself Elon Musk ...

but here is the long and very interesting answer by the same fellow ..worth the hour and a half IMO .