Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Student takeover of Evergreen State College

Fight the power!

... or something.

“I have been told by the Chief of Police it’s not safe for me to be on campus,” said [Evergreen State College professor Bret] Weinstein, who held his Thursday class in a downtown Olympia[, Wash.,] park.

An administrator confirmed the police department advised Weinstein it “might be best to stay off campus for a day or so.”

Demonstrations involving as many as 200 students filled classrooms and the President’s office on campus on Tuesday and Wednesday. Protesters are upset over what they believe are racist policies at the college, and some called for Weinstein to resign.

Earlier this school year Weinstein raised concerns about proposed policy changes, including one that would have race play a larger role in the hiring process.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ty-washington/

10+ Year Old Account
    We had this thread before and it was locked on the "No race threads allowed" basis.

7+ Year Old Account
    The guy seems pretty level headed to me:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    The guy seems pretty level headed to me:
    This controversy did pop up mainly because of his situation.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    This controversy did pop up mainly because of his situation.
    LOL, of course it did. I'm not one to bait people, or poke people, but, was your pointed something other than stating the obvious?

I know someone that works at the dominos that delivers to those hipsters. He was assaulted by one of the protester students, after he knocked the idiot over and took his shit back that was trying to be stolen the assaulter ran off. The rest of the protesters asked him not to call the cops as it would paint them all in a bad light. He said maby you shouldnt be pieces of shit then and called the cops. Evergreen is and always has been a college of worthless hippies and hipsters to this area and this doesnt surprise me at all. Would be a shame if they closed it down.

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL, of course it did. I'm not one to bait people, or poke people, but, was your pointed something other than stating the obvious?
    Nope, just sayin.

“I have been told by the Chief of Police it’s not safe for me to be on campus,” said [Evergreen State College professor Bret] Weinstein, who held his Thursday class in a downtown Olympia[, Wash.,] park.

An administrator confirmed the police department advised Weinstein it “might be best to stay off campus for a day or so.”

Demonstrations involving as many as 200 students filled classrooms and the President’s office on campus on Tuesday and Wednesday. Protesters are upset over what they believe are racist policies at the college, and some called for Weinstein to resign.

Earlier this school year Weinstein raised concerns about proposed policy changes, including one that would have race play a larger role in the hiring process.
    Also as someone who grew up in olympia, graduated highschool there, i had 3 black kids in my graduating class of over 500. Sorry but you can claim race this or race that but this is a majority white city and area, especially around evergreen.

They should just expel these racists.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I know someone that works at the dominos that delivers to those hipsters. He was assaulted by one of the protester students, after he knocked the idiot over and took his shit back that was trying to be stolen the assaulter ran off. The rest of the protesters asked him not to call the cops as it would paint them all in a bad light. He said maby you shouldnt be pieces of shit then and called the cops. Evergreen is and always has been a college of worthless hippies and hipsters to this area and this doesnt surprise me at all. Would be a shame if they closed it down.
    Maybe definitions for hipster and hippy differ region to region. Those students do not resemble what I consider to be hipsters and/or hippies. They look like "middle of the road" college kids.

Deleted
    WTF is wrong with these students?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by halloaa View Post
    WTF is wrong with these students?
    Nothing, the usual argument is that these are just college kids being college kids (at least the current itteration of that identity). They'll get over it, nevermind the fact that they're basically holding faculty staff hostage and have no idea what civilized discourse entails.

In my youth I believed I could predict the future and laughed at the fools around me.

Now all I have seen is becoming truth and I beg to be wrong.

This is in a sense what it means to age.

I'm confused as to what these policies are.

The article refers to the president disapproving of a "Day of Absence" that is described as "white people were invited to leave campus for a day" and his reasoning doesn't seem all that illogical. It's one thing to absent themselves voluntarily, but to absent others based on their skin color is a pretty horrible suggestion.

Is there another policy that the article leaves out, because if that's it well then.... these protests are pretty absurd
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

7+ Year Old Account
    I highly recommend watching the video in the OP. There are several laugh out loud moments.

Deleted
    Please tell me that this isn't true, that they are protesting partially because they couldn't get this "day of absence".

10+ Year Old Account
    But did the students take over by using trebuchets and catapults? Otherwise I'm not interested.

There is a huge difference between a group or coalition deciding to voluntarily absent themselves from a shared space in order to highlight their vital and under-appreciated roles (the theme of the Douglas Turner Ward play Day of Absence, as well as the recent Women’s Day walkout), and a group or coalition encouraging another group to go away. The first is a forceful call to consciousness which is, of course, crippling to the logic of oppression. The second is a show of force, and an act of oppression in and of itself.

Part of Weinstein's email to a student about the white people stay off campus for a day thing. Seems well thought out to me.

I bet Weinstein is very left wing, most college professors are which makes this what? Ironic?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly recommend watching the video in the OP. There are several laugh out loud moments.
    I found the one of the chick saying "those are the lost ones, nevermind them" or something, refering to those dissenting amongst their student body. It is quite reflective of how these groups don't usually allow for disagreeing voices inside their collectives.

Whatever happened to keeping publci order in the Uni?

I get that protests need to be allowed, but disrupting the school like that should have them immediately expelled and arrested on trespassing charges. All of them. There are students who pay money to attend classes there safely, and it's the job of the police and administrators to not have 200 people impede that.

I bet Weinstein is very left wing, most college professors are which makes this what? Ironic?
    He's not a right winger, he's just not left enough for these students. This is the problem with the current left, btw. I'm a leftie myself, but we got to stop tearing each other apart over who passes whatever radical purity test the most radical 1% have made up this week. It's causing us to lose on an unprecedented style.

You see trump and brexit and the incoming crushing labour is about to get in the UK? That's our fault. We have become so reprehensible in what we allow radicals to force us to support that ordinary left leaning people are starting to see the right as lesser evil.
    Last edited by Magicpot; 2017-05-28 at 10:18 AM.