Thread: Digital pianos

Digital pianos

I am looking into buying a digital piano. Is there any advice on solid picks at modest prices? I am very much a beginner and I am just about to start learning.

My budget will be around 350 euros / 375 dollars, so it is definitely on the cheaper side of things.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

15+ Year Old Account
    Can you even get a (new) digital/electric piano for that cheap?

I got this Roland one that I've had for like 10 years. It's not really a digital (but electric) piano, it has some midi connections and such, but no USB for example, it's kind of an old school thing. Works and sounds great though. The price was about 1500e IIRC.

Not sure how beginner you are with piano playing, but make sure you buy one with 88 keys and pedals, not some mini synthetisator keyboard bullshit.

For that price I would be going for an used one instead of a new piano.
    Last edited by Puupi; 2017-05-28 at 10:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Maybe a cheap digital piano from Casio? They aren't that bad. For 350 euros you won't get a good piano. In this price range, the keys are (mostly) not weighted and the piano sound is mediocre. You should head for a musical store and play some digital pianos, but the good ones are at 800 euros and upward.

Other advice: Look for some older stage pianos in the internet, if you don't want a newer model.
    Last edited by Daan; 2017-05-28 at 10:58 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daan View Post
    In this price range, the keys are (mostly) not weighted
    Oh yeah, this is super important, too. The keys must be weighted.

So three things that are a must:
    1. 88 keys
    2. pedals (note plural)
    3. weighted keys
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Sustain pedal is the most important, but I think every piano has it normally. Sostenuto- and soft-pedal are nice to have, too, but most pianos in the low price range don't have them. As I said before, you won't get a good piano for 300 euros.

Sustain pedal and weighted keys as said above. Look into a used Yamaha upright along the lines of this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/yamaha-ydp103r-arius-traditional-console-digital-piano-with-bench?cntry=us

Around here at least, used digital pianos are fairly easy to come by.

And invest in lessons. Best thing I ever did, and I should have taken them years earlier.

If you're really interested with piano, not keyboard, then you should really really care about the weight and feel of keys. Otherwise, you may get stumbled when you play an acoustic one. I have a Kawai and I'm satisfied with the authenticity. It was not cheap but it really makes a difference.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll make sure to get one with weighted keys.

You could look into stage piano's. They're cheaper than upright models. If you don't buy too cheap or old models you should have a proper keyboard as well.