Upgrade advice - Moving from 720 streaming to 1080

Hi all,

I made my current build with the goal of achieving 1080 gaming (Mainly wow, overwatch, ) on a budget. I feel that goal was achieved however my requirements have evolved somewhat since the original build so I'm looking at what might be involved in an autumn/winter upgrade. Now I appreciate parts/trends will change a lot between now and autumn however the purpose of this thread is to understand what components will need replacing and roughly how much this will cost.

Here is my Partpicker list for my current build.

I will focus my requirements on work station tasks as I am happy with the gaming capabilities,

Old Requirements:

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) – Possibly some in game capturing with potential rendering. It would be useful to know if there is a considerable upgrade in hardware needed in order to Capture/render in game footage. It’s not something I actively do at the moment but I might like to although if it meant I had to break my budget in order to do so, then I would probably go without.

New Requirements

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) – Regular 1080p rendering of game footage anywhere from 5-20 minutes long. Currently the build does this OK, but I feel it could do it better, faster. Takes roughly 75 minutes to render 10 mins of footage. Regular wow streaming at 1080p @ 30. Currently the build manages 720p @ 30 with no issues, however the CPU maxes out when attempting 1080.

My first point of call here is to grab another stick of 8GB RAM, I'm mainly looking for advice on what mobo, CPU and cooler upgrades I should consider

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Coburn1990; 2017-05-30 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Coburn1990 View Post
    Hi all,

I made my current build with the goal of achieving 1080 gaming (Mainly wow, overwatch, ) on a budget. I feel that goal was achieved however my requirements have evolved somewhat since the original build so I'm looking at what might be involved in an autumn/winter upgrade. Now I appreciate parts/trends will change a lot between now and autumn however the purpose of this thread is to understand what components will need replacing and roughly how much this will cost.

Here is my Partpicker list for my current build.

I will focus my requirements on work station tasks as I am happy with the gaming capabilities,

Old Requirements:

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) – Possibly some in game capturing with potential rendering. It would be useful to know if there is a considerable upgrade in hardware needed in order to Capture/render in game footage. It’s not something I actively do at the moment but I might like to although if it meant I had to break my budget in order to do so, then I would probably go without.

New Requirements

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) – Regular 1080p rendering of game footage anywhere from 5-20 minutes long. Currently the build does this OK, but I feel it could do it better, faster. Takes roughly 75 minutes to render 10 mins of footage. Regular wow streaming at 1080p @ 30. Currently the build manages 720p @ 30 with no issues, however the CPU maxes out when attempting 1080.

My first point of call here is to grab another stick of 8GB RAM, I'm mainly looking for advice on what mobo, CPU and cooler upgrades I should consider

Thanks in advance
    First of all, lots of new things will come out by then, ask again then, maybe you will have the money for a Kaby Lake X machine.

Secondly, the only sensible upgrade you can do is get a 7700K from the stuff you already have.

What you can also do is:

Sell the CPU/Mobo/RAM for around 300$ now and buy a R5 1600X/16GB RAM @3-3.2Ghz/AMD Mobo.

The Ryzen will serve you better for what you want to do, not that the 7700K will do worst but its easier to sell all 3 than selling just the i5 7400.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-05-30 at 10:11 AM.