Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Guess you played too much during free weekend :P
    This. D.VAs ult used to be super easy to hit, you could literally get on top of a point or payload and use it and you'd get POTG.

Then, we went through a phase where you'd launch it vertically and get the POTG

Then we had firing it in a straight line.

Now you really need to be inventive to land it. Usually I get a few kills from flying into the inside of a building and trying to get it so it detonates by the nearest door to the payload / point, as thats usually where people will run into. Best bet is Zarya ult, or flanking from behind.

Honestly though, unless I see a decent oppertunity, I save my ult for overtime

Quote Originally Posted by Narveid View Post
    When people start learning how self destruct works, it loses most of it's potency. You'll get used to it.
    yeah, like how half the heroes in the game have a counter to it in the form of barriers and immunities. To OP, if you are playing a champ with a barrier ability like reinhardt, zarya, winston, etc that shield will protect you from the lethal damage as well as everyone behind it. Champs like Mei and reaper can simply do invulnerable for it and even torb can survive if he pops his ult and get a little distance. The reason your dying and your whole team is being destroyed is the low elo and lack of understanding of abilities. Bastion was considered OP in the beginning but had to have a whole rework just to be considered viable -ish.

Dva's ult has the same issue the ults of Junkrat, McCree, Hanzo, and Torbjorn. They devastate new/unaware/lower skilled players. All of those ults are pretty trivial to handle if you have the knowledge, awareness, or skill to do so. They're really good at zoning (which means to clear out an area of enemies, I.e. dropping a hanzo dragon ult or dva on the payload in overtime to get the enemy team off of it).
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Dva's ult has the same issue the ults of Junkrat, McCree, Hanzo, and Torbjorn. They devastate new/unaware/lower skilled players. All of those ults are pretty trivial to handle if you have the knowledge, awareness, or skill to do so. They're really good at zoning (which means to clear out an area of enemies, I.e. dropping a hanzo dragon ult or dva on the payload in overtime to get the enemy team off of it).
    I'm just reading now that Deadeye is getting a huuge buff next patch. Lockon time reduced from 0.8 seconds to 0.2 seconds and damage increased from 20 to 80.
    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20812212

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    Hey guys, so I've been playing for two days now and I've seen like 10 times now that someone uses D. Va's self destruct on a point or something, kills like 4-5 people instantly and wins the game + play of the game. Seems like self-destruct is alittle bit too crazy?
    I've gotten to diamond in comp and still play QP quite a bit too.

...At best she'll get one person, usually not even that. It's actually better used as a zoning tool than an attempt to rack up kills. Only time I've seen it do much else is when combined with another ult like Zarya's or Mei's in which case, Hanzo does that job better.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2017-06-01 at 09:19 PM.

I'm just reading now that Deadeye is getting a huuge buff next patch. Lockon time reduced from 0.8 seconds to 0.2 seconds and damage increased from 20 to 80.
    Yeah, it'll make it a fair bit stronger, and allow him to finish people off more quickly, but time to kill will still be low enough that it'll be avoidable unless you're low on HP.
    – C.S. Lewis

It was desperately needed.

I'm getting the strong feeling that not being a noob would solve most of my problems.
    As you're just starting out, you'll get used to it. You will learn the cues and what to do when you notice them. For now, just try to observe everything that happens. Watch replays of your deaths so you see what is actually happening.

I'm getting the strong feeling that not being a noob would solve most of my problems.
    If you're on windows and recently updated, they have the new windows game bar (Win + G) that'll let your record your games. I record all of mine, and then rewatch them, figuring out where I went wrong. Watching them again helps so much, I can't even emphasize it enough, just do it once and you'll understand. You'll get so much better.
    – C.S. Lewis

Hm, I think I'm rank 12 or 13. And I can personally guarantee that I am 'out of position' most of the time
    Ah, that's just your level, not your competitive rank. Yes, new players will die to that ult. They will also die more to hanzo's ult. At that level torbjorn and bastion can also pose big problems for your team.

As you get more experience in the game, I can assure you that you will die less from the easy to avoid ultimates. When you get better at the game, so will your team and the people you play against (roughly)

I don't know what hero's you play so it's hard to give some overall tips.

Most important one is to use cover. It's a basic thing but a lot of people don't seem to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A well placed dva ultimate should always get at least 1 kill. It's definitely stronger at lower levels of play since you only have 3 seconds to react. But it would be difficult to tweak at this point - at a 4 second timer the ultimate was garbage but a 2 second timer would be impossible to avoid. I think the ultimate is fine, even at high levels of play if you save the ultimate for overtime you basically win.
    HEROES NEVER DIE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfat View Post
    A well placed dva ultimate should always get at least 1 kill. It's definitely stronger at lower levels of play since you only have 3 seconds to react. But it would be difficult to tweak at this point - at a 4 second timer the ultimate was garbage but a 2 second timer would be impossible to avoid. I think the ultimate is fine, even at high levels of play if you save the ultimate for overtime you basically win.
    Depends, it's a lot easier to get multikills on Payload maps than Assault Maps, Capture Points always have somewhere to run and hide; Payload checkpoints and chokes rather less. If you're going to get kills on KotH or Assault Maps, it'll be by throwing it into a team fight that's already engaged; but normally you'd want to use it to disperse them with it before you engage if they're bedded in.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Hanzos is better to couple with Z as it passes through shields.
    That's the point I was making.

With Zaryas ultimate it makes Hanzos one of the BEST, but in normal situations Hanzos is fairly easy to avoid (don't get me wrong: I'm saying it isnt great for KILLING people when used normally but it is excellent for zoning people. Same goes for McCrees, causes people to panic and scatter).
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    That's the point I was making.

With Zaryas ultimate it makes Hanzos one of the BEST, but in normal situations Hanzos is fairly easy to avoid (don't get me wrong: I'm saying it isnt great for KILLING people when used normally but it is excellent for zoning people. Same goes for McCrees, causes people to panic and scatter).
    McCrees is an odd one, most of the time you can kill him before it goes off. But I have been on a team that started from a position of being in cover, to all running out and delivering a him a Pentakill or something. Nice psychology I guess.

usually a safe way to think lol
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hiding always helps to negate the damage as does distance... unless you're under the bridge in Hanamura then it will wall hack you and kill you from the capture point. ¬.¬
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Also of note, if you have a Mei on your team and she ice blocks you can hide behind the ice block and you won't die.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.