10+ Year Old Account

Ret Paladin returning to PvP after multi year break.

Hello in recent years as I've gotten older it's become much harder to balance time between wow, work, long time girlfriend, staying active, and friends. But I've finally found what I view as the perfect middle ground. My major issue is in my dedicated wow time it's impossible for me to both hardcore raid and push rating in pvp so for the last few years I've chosen pve>pvp but I'm looking to swap it up for a bit.

As the title says I'm a Ret Paladin main, in the past I've usually focused on RBGs(broke 2k multiple times) as I like big team cooperation so I never really did arena but I'd like to change that especially with the current 2k+ recolored mythic tier set being a reward.

Would anyone be kind enough to drop some tips regarding comps, some good macros, weak auras, addons etc.

Currently 900+ ilvl, human Ret Paladin working towards my 3rd prestige and at an amazing 0 rating in all rated pvp.

Playing alliance on US -Proudmoore.

Thanks!
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

Viable 3v3 comps: Determine what healer is going to play with your play style and partner choice. Druid is good all around for CC, peel, ability to keep healing you while CC'd via HoTs. Disc priest is great for playing aggressive, they can add burst dps, purge/mass dispel to remove buffs/heals, and counter pally bubbles and mage ice blocks. Resto sham can be great for the added defensive from spirit link totem, counter strike / root totems for melee, and extra dps while bursting with skyfury totem. I would only recommend using pal/monk healers if your going with a caster as 2nd dps.

Top tier:
    Marks hunter / Ret / X (favoring Rdruid/Disc priest, but viable with a good sham)

Mid tier:
    BM or Surv hunter / Ret / X
    DK / Ret / X
    Mage / Ret / X
    Spriest / Ret / X

Low tier: (viable if all players are very skilled)
    Affliction / Ret / X
    Enhance / Ret / X
    Arms War / Ret / X
    Balance / Ret / X
    Rogue / Ret / X

As far as macros, make sure you have a seperate macro for blessing of freedom/protection, blessing of sanc pvp talent, and potentially flash heal to help heal during hard CC on your healer or a teammate almost dying.
    I prefer to use:
    /cast [target=name] Blessing of Freedom
    And change the name on each of those 4 macros if I change partners. It's personally nicer for me to not having to worry about using [Target=Player1] or [target=Player2] since the party member positions likes to change a lot when entering arenas and can get confusing until your used to it. I hate to lose if I press the macro to the wrong teammate, but if you don't like changing macros then learning how to use those works as well :P
    Last edited by blackmartin; 2017-06-01 at 04:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome thanks! Any suggested addons other than the usual gladius and BG targets?
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

BG Targets is unmaintained right now - there's a fan version for legion but the comments suggest that it's not without its problems. I switched over to MrTarget which works fine for me

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome thanks for that!

10+ Year Old Account
    for random BG`s / no voice rated i would add Battleground Timers and Battleground Defender. Defender is an very useful little tool wich allows you to call an inc with a simple klick, eliminating the need to type while you are already fighting someone or getting jumped by a stealth class. Its working in every bg except Deep Wind, Silvershard and i think Temple.

I like using KUI Nameplates, their very visible and you can scale just about everything. Makes the cast bars above the enemy teammates very visible if you scale it huge like I do . There's a number of other thing I can tinker around with on that add on, explore it.

For Arena: BigDebuffs is a huge advantage. You can customize prioritys to see certain CC on your teammates/targets. For example I set every CC that I can cleanse to show 2x bigger on my teammates, as well as having countdown timers to see durations. It's also very useful to prioritize enemy burst cooldowns for more visibility, giving you a leg up on popping defensives or running away.

OmniBar: this one setups up a moveable bar that tracks enemy cooldowns. Useful to see if a kick was used, if a big dps cooldown or defensive is about to come back up, and to look for Druid Thorns (those dirty buggers!). I see this right below my char so it's easy to look down and see.

H.H.T.D (healers have to die): Absolutely awesome in bg's of all kinds. Puts a big healing icon above the healers so u can easily distinguish them from dps/casters. Believe it shows in arena too but you probably already know who the healer is

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tracerz07 View Post
    Awesome thanks! Any suggested addons other than the usual gladius and BG targets?
    See my above post ^. Meant to get your attention :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Perfect! I used to use quite a few of these and forgot about them, thank you!