Thread: New Video Card?

New Video Card?

Hey all! I upgraded my entire PC a year or two ago, and I neglected to upgrade the video card. I'm running a GTX 650 and all I play is WoW. I'd like to be able to run everything at Ultra settings and I'm wondering if the video card is the right place to start? I've heard the CPU is the best thing to upgrade, but I'd like an expert opinion based on my system. Below are my specs, let me know what type of video card you'd recommend (and CPU if necessary).

Thanks!!

CPU - Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz
    RAM - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
    SSD - 238GB SanDisk SD8SBAT256G1122
    Storage HDD - 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB10C (SATA)
    Motherboard - ASRock H97M Pro4 (CPUSocket)
    Graphics - 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (EVGA)

Thanks to JustintimeSS for the awesome sig!!

Get ultra settings out of your head, plays terrible even with the best hardware. That said you could raise settings a bit higher than a 650 would allow with a new GPU, i suggest a gtx 1050 and just keep the rest of your system as is:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sc4...02g-p4-6150-kr

Just set preset to 7 and call it a day, maybe lower view distance to 4 or 5 if you are dipping below 60 fps anywhere out in the open world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Get ultra settings out of your head, plays terrible even with the best hardware. That said you could raise settings a bit higher than a 650 would allow with a new GPU, i suggest a gtx 1050 and just keep the rest of your system as is:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sc4...02g-p4-6150-kr

Just set preset to 7 and call it a day, maybe lower view distance to 4 or 5 if you are dipping below 60 fps anywhere out in the open world.
    That's pretty much how I feel about it with the exception that I wouldn't purchase an x50 model. I'm not sure if that's the bare minimum for 7 preset but I'd be willing to bet that if you get that entry level Nvidia card it almost certainly won't hold the same settings at the same fps when the next xpac hits.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    That's pretty much how I feel about it with the exception that I wouldn't purchase an x50 model. I'm not sure if that's the bare minimum for 7 preset but I'd be willing to bet that if you get that entry level Nvidia card it almost certainly won't hold the same settings at the same fps when the next xpac hits.
    Oh it absolutely will, people tend to exaggerate what you need for WoW and underestimate lower end video cards. Gtx 1050 is faster than a gtx 760, which can easily hold well over 60 FPS in GPU bound scenarios in WoW.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ti,4787-5.html

1050 is a beast at 1080p, especially for older titles like WoW. 99% of the people that play PC games would be perfectly suited with a 99 dollar gtx 1050, only when you start talking about people with higher refresh rate monitors do you need to consider GPU's faster than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Get a 1050 Ti over a 1050.

They're so closely priced.
    Depends on the day/sales, as of today its not worth a 30 dollar premium:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/vi...t=price&page=1

10+ Year Old Account
    Your GPU is definitely behind your CPU.

A lot of people already said 1050 or the 1050 TI but a 1060 6gb is a very solid choice too.

If you care about getting a new monitor in the future, with Freesync then a 570/580 is around a 1060 6gb - except they are overpriced currently due to the mining stuff iirc.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    Your GPU is definitely behind your CPU.

A lot of people already said 1050 or the 1050 TI but a 1060 6gb is a very solid choice too.

If you care about getting a new monitor in the future, with Freesync then a 570/580 is around a 1060 6gb - except they are overpriced currently due to the mining stuff iirc.
    If you can even get hold of one at the moment;

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-co.../radeon-rx-580

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-co.../radeon-rx-570

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Oh it absolutely will, people tend to exaggerate what you need for WoW and underestimate lower end video cards. Gtx 1050 is faster than a gtx 760, which can easily hold well over 60 FPS in GPU bound scenarios in WoW.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ti,4787-5.html

1050 is a beast at 1080p, especially for older titles like WoW. 99% of the people that play PC games would be perfectly suited with a 99 dollar gtx 1050, only when you start talking about people with higher refresh rate monitors do you need to consider GPU's faster than this.
    No one at all ever exaggerate what you need for wow, in fact almost EVERYONE will say you're not going to need a hefty GPU for WoW. The fact you can't tell people talking about what they HAVE or WANT compared to what is necessary is astounding.

I'd like proof about "WoW" being an "older" game these days when you can WATCH people playing above 100fps on twitch in 30m Heroic raids...the in game fps counter really doesn't lie. Simply you're refreshing old information from literally YEARS AND YEARS ago, so long ago in fact if you were running those cpu's I'd feel bad.

It is never an optimal path to go with a "XX50" or "x50" series when the Ti series alone has been basically the bare minimum to play any full hd game at a stable 60 fps, if you're looking to UPGRADE you'd go with an upgrade not a side step.

The Gtx 960 is as good as a 1050 Ti in most situations so you could save $$ there, but alas the OP did say he upgraded his entire pc except the graphics card, and is looking for increased performance.

Yes the i5-4xxx series isn't the greatest but it isn't going to prevent most games from holding 60fps @ 1080p, and then we have this joke of a concept that a higher refresh rate monitor DEMANDS more resources from your gpu...well uhh if your gpu can only push 71 fps max at 1080p...it isn't going to do anymore, thats why we have freesync and Gsync to smooth out those odd frames and keep everything aesthetically playable. Now if you can push 144 FPS you'd see 144 FPS otherwise no the monitor isn't demanding you display specific frames, it is optimal at said frames.

Higher resolution, which is actually becoming typical is a killer and modern gaming/enthusiast level gpu's have a hefty amount of Vram to reflect this change, as well as more bandwidth, and generally just a lot faster, and when in almost every bench we see the Rx 470 handling the 1050 Ti...ummmmm no this is a terrible offering.

best options would be
    gtx 970 - on sale can be found around $200 USD
    1060 - Also around on sale $200 USD

R9 Fury - $200 or less

I wouldn't suggest anything sub $200 in all honesty for an upgrade.

Did you read the OP:
    I'm running a GTX 650 and all I play is WoW

Suggesting he spend over 100 on a video card is irresponsible. A 1050 is easily 3x as fast as a gtx 650, and is a solid upgrade path for them.