Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    [BALANCE] Emerald Dreamcatcher 7.2.5

    Hey,

    With the new 7.2.5 changes to the Emerald Dreamcatcher, how will it change our gameplay.
    Is is even worth using now with the new legendary ring?

    The Emerald Dreamcatcher Starsurge reduces the Astral Power cost of your Starsurges by 7 for 3 5 for 5 sec. Stacks up to 2 times.

  2. #2
    Of course, generating 30 astral power in 5 seconds is easy, if you don't have to move much, you can keep the buff up for the whole encounter pretty much. In such a perfect scenario, the tooltip might as well be "increases starsurge damage by 25%" (plus more empowered wraths/s̶t̶a̶r̶f̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN).

    The new SotF ring seems more like an AoE legendary ("free" mandatory aoe talent, which allows you to go for incarnation).

    ToS is supposed to be mostly single target encounters, so dreamcatcher will probably be used a ton.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by roi View Post
    Of course, generating 30 astral power in 5 seconds is easy, if you don't have to move much, you can keep the buff up for the whole encounter pretty much. In such a perfect scenario, the tooltip might as well be "increases starsurge damage by 25%" (plus more empowered wraths/s̶t̶a̶r̶f̶i̶r̶e̶s̶ YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN).

    The new SotF ring seems more like an AoE legendary ("free" mandatory aoe talent, which allows you to go for incarnation).

    ToS is supposed to be mostly single target encounters, so dreamcatcher will probably be used a ton.
    There are plenty of both types of fights, though there are more pure ST fights this time around. Goroth, Sisters of the Moon, Maiden of Vigilance and Fallen Avatar are all pure ST fights, so that's 4 out of 9 bosses that are ST focused. With 1 being Council-esque and 3 being AoE/Cleave focused and 1 being the clown fiesta that is Kil'jaeden.

    My guildie Boomkin, who parses high and is always at the top of the DPS meters is probably still going to keep using OI/IFE combo for the ST bosses. ED is just not worth the hassle for the marginal gain with a high chance of fucking it up and OI being really helpful for movement.

    I'd imagine the new ring being godlike for any cleave fight, as a lot of your damage IS tied into Incarnation at the end of the day in ST.

  4. #4
    I wonder if new ring + stellar flare could be worth it for council fights. Yeah, you're missing out on incarnation, but stellar flare deals as much damage as moonfire with LatC, if the tooltip values are correct, and benefits from stellar empowerment as well. Having sunfire, moonfire and stellar flare (all stellar empowerment...empowered) up on 3 or 4 targets is really good sustained damage...I'm kinda going off topic here though

  5. #5
    having tested quite a few bosses now I think OI/IFE will come out ahead. Theres just an absurd amount of movement going on in ToS, i honestly think a lot of ranged casters will burn out this tier.

  6. #6
    I was wondering aswell if on 3 sustained targets, with the new ring, going stellar flare would be good? Right now on 3 targets with SotF-ss-sd we are able to easily keep up 2+ starfalls - if instead of overlapping at all we JUST kept 1 going at all time and used the remaining resources on stellar flare on all three targets, we might actually feel like a DoT class.

    This is all just a random thought and a bit of wishful thinking, no numbers or anything here, just might be fun to play atleast.

  7. #7
    this is better for players who do not to top tier raiding and so getting the neccessary haste to actually enjoy the legendary is next to impossible without luck titanforge rolls.

  8. #8
    The best legendaries I can equip has not changed since the start of Nighthold for me. STILL NO ED DROP. It's disgusting that I'm still paying monthly waiting on this boomkin change in 7.2.5. Right to the very fucking end of the patch cycle for some boomkin news and there's probably going to be nothing making me quit.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DankFluid View Post
    this is better for players who do not to top tier raiding and so getting the neccessary haste to actually enjoy the legendary is next to impossible without luck titanforge rolls.
    You only need 30% haste to use ED effectively. Nobody should have any troubles getting that. I had it just after normal NH so I'm not sure what your problems are.

    Signature Created by Jassinta

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    You only need 30% haste to use ED effectively. Nobody should have any troubles getting that. I had it just after normal NH so I'm not sure what your problems are.
    if you say so. good luck getting 30% haste with 875 ilvl . feel strong for arguing for no sake now ?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by quintex View Post
    I was wondering aswell if on 3 sustained targets, with the new ring, going stellar flare would be good? Right now on 3 targets with SotF-ss-sd we are able to easily keep up 2+ starfalls - if instead of overlapping at all we JUST kept 1 going at all time and used the remaining resources on stellar flare on all three targets, we might actually feel like a DoT class.

    This is all just a random thought and a bit of wishful thinking, no numbers or anything here, just might be fun to play atleast.
    This is actually really good even on two targets using the new ring + LatC as long as u can keep starfall on both targets. Its a pity the 2set t20 doesnt really do anything for this playstyle.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DankFluid View Post
    if you say so. good luck getting 30% haste with 875 ilvl . feel strong for arguing for no sake now ?
    As a matter of fact you have no trouble getting that amount of haste at ~875 ilvl... You get more than enough combat ratings to reach it, just a matter of allocation on your gear.

  13. #13
    I am Murloc! FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    5,198

    Balance Legendary head in v7.2.5

    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    The Emerald Dreamcatcher: Starsurge reduces the Astral Power cost of your Starsurges by 5 Astral Power (was 7) for 5 seconds (was 3 seconds), stacking up to 2 times.
    Currently, you can chain-cast 3x Starsurge at a cost of 99.
    In v7.2.5, 3x Starsurge will cost 105 AP, meaning you cannot cast 3 anymore, without ATLEAST casting Solar Wrath (or 2x DoT) in between.

    Have anyone done some math on, how much of a DPS loss this is? Also, it will require a massive change in how you play with this legendary; Is it still BiS or does it move down the ranking list?
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Legion > Cata > MoP > WoD = WotLK

    My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

  14. #14
    If that's how you've been using it then you're doing thing horribly wrong. Currently you are meant to cast spells between starsurge so you can cast lots of starsurges with a low cost, not just shooting 3 in a row. The purpose of the change is to remove the haste breakpoints and make it so the buff is intended to be kept up 100% of the time (barring movement, etc).

    Sims so far have shown it to be roughly a DPS neutral change but gives a massive quality of life improvement which makes it better than pre-patch in every situation.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    The Emerald Dreamcatcher: Starsurge reduces the Astral Power cost of your Starsurges by 5 Astral Power (was 7) for 5 seconds (was 3 seconds), stacking up to 2 times.
    Currently, you can chain-cast 3x Starsurge at a cost of 99.
    In v7.2.5, 3x Starsurge will cost 105 AP, meaning you cannot cast 3 anymore, without ATLEAST casting Solar Wrath (or 2x DoT) in between.

    Have anyone done some math on, how much of a DPS loss this is? Also, it will require a massive change in how you play with this legendary; Is it still BiS or does it move down the ranking list?

    If that is how you been use ED, then you been doing it wrong. The change is meant to make it so we can keep up the buff longer/easier, also with T20 it will be even easier.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    The Emerald Dreamcatcher: Starsurge reduces the Astral Power cost of your Starsurges by 5 Astral Power (was 7) for 5 seconds (was 3 seconds), stacking up to 2 times.
    Currently, you can chain-cast 3x Starsurge at a cost of 99.
    In v7.2.5, 3x Starsurge will cost 105 AP, meaning you cannot cast 3 anymore, without ATLEAST casting Solar Wrath (or 2x DoT) in between.

    Have anyone done some math on, how much of a DPS loss this is? Also, it will require a massive change in how you play with this legendary; Is it still BiS or does it move down the ranking list?
    good thing t20 2-piece makes ap cap 130.

  17. #17
    Also remember the 5 second buff also allows us to generate even more astral power between recasts as well as being slightly more forgiving for unprepared for movement. The rotation becomes alot more interesting as well because we should never cap on empowerments anymore and infact empowerments become much more important in general. So i think its definitely a playstyle improvement but i think overall the helms power level on purely single target will drop slightly meaning people will even favor the bracers on pure single target, hell thats been starting to happen already.

  18. #18
    So with 5 seconds, what does that potentially look like? 2LS, 1LS & 2W, 3W, or just a combo of what we have empowered plus moon? I imagine with lust or certain procs getting 2LS and a 1W in is doable.

    -edit-
    not that you would, but casting W even if all three are unempowered will give you 30AP, enough to cast a Starsurge again and keep the buff, that is if you have the haste to cast 3 unempowered W in 5 seconds, which is doable depending on latency. Unbuffed and just sitting here with no empowerments or anything my haste is at 34% which makes my W cast time 1.12 seconds

    I feel like the difficult part about this new ED change is managing empowerments trying avoid casting something that isn't empowered.

    I may be way off, and please tell me if I am.
    Last edited by Argenon; 2017-06-10 at 03:47 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by foibooze View Post
    As a matter of fact you have no trouble getting that amount of haste at ~875 ilvl... You get more than enough combat ratings to reach it, just a matter of allocation on your gear.
    Plus why obligatory 875 ilvl? My Third alt who hasn't stepped foot in anything outside of LFR and hasn't done any double digit M+ is at 890 ilvl. With shard gear giving you 880 ilvl with the chance of up to 920 I believe, 875 is easily surpassable.

  20. #20
    Opener, double SS, LS x 2 + SW, SS, SW x 2 + LS x SW, SS, LS + SW + NM, SS, SS, LS x2 + SW, SS, SW x2 + LS, SS, LS + HM etc etc it can keep going as long as u plan it well, u can always full moon between buff so of u never move should be 100% uptime and empowerments always spent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •