Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Did end up putting in the order, changed things around a bit due to stock and availabilities. Needed to order a.s.a.p so here we are.
    Little bit of a black/white theme
    Ryzen 7 - 1700 (1600 was out of stock so upped the cpu)
    B350M MSI Arctic Mortar mobo
    Corsair LPX 16 gb DDR4-3200 - white
    GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1 (good price, dont care about back plates, has my color scheme)
    Samsung EVO 850 500gb
    EVGA supernova g3 gold 750w (overkill but got a good deal)
    BitFenix Prodigy M - did end up going with this case, if I dont like it ill just swap into one of my other cases like my current corsair 650D
    do want to try a more portable build though, wish me luck !
    Last edited by satyrikon; 2017-06-10 at 01:45 AM.
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6 ghz - Corsair H100 - 16GB DDR3-1600 - SLI GTX 580 - Crucial 240GB

Corsair Obsidian 650D - WD 2TB Black Storage

Dont try to overclock on that board. The VRM is too weak to handle R7.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Dont try to overclock on that board. The VRM is too weak to handle R7.
    Of course you can do a mild overclock on that board, any b350 can. 3.8ghz only requires 1.25-1.3v and your only talking ~100w of power draw at those volts, easily doable on that board as well as the stock cooler.

Yeah I did some reading about the VRM issue, seems mostly heat related from people just doing bench testing... so no airflow across the board to even cool the heatsinks might contribute to it. Seems common that people are getting OCed to 3700 @ around 1.25v on the wraith spire... cpu temps 70c-75ish -
    VRM temps 35 at idle and 65c maximum on 100% stress test, specifically on the mortar. I hear the VRM cooling is more of an issue in AIO cooler set ups

Mileage will always vary but with good air flow I think it'll be alright for minor boosts... but at this point I'll leave it alone until I feel things out for awhile
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6 ghz - Corsair H100 - 16GB DDR3-1600 - SLI GTX 580 - Crucial 240GB

Corsair Obsidian 650D - WD 2TB Black Storage

Quote Originally Posted by satyrikon View Post
    Yeah I did some reading about the VRM issue, seems mostly heat related from people just doing bench testing... so no airflow across the board to even cool the heatsinks might contribute to it. Seems common that people are getting OCed to 3700 @ around 1.25v on the wraith spire... cpu temps 70c-75ish -
    VRM temps 35 at idle and 65c maximum on 100% stress test, specifically on the mortar. I hear the VRM cooling is more of an issue in AIO cooler set ups

Mileage will always vary but with good air flow I think it'll be alright for minor boosts... but at this point I'll leave it alone until I feel things out for awhile

i run 3.7 ghz on all 8 cores of my 1700 on an a similar made msi b350 motherboard (tomahowk) at 1.3 volt, with stock cooler, probably could lower voltage too. on full load stresstest it goes up to nearly 70 degree, normaly under normal work loads (gaming, browsing) it hovers at 45-52 degree celsius. the board can run 1.36 volt 3.9 gju stable with stresstesting, but it gets hotter so to do it constantly, i would probably need a better cooler.

The MSI boards with 4 phase design L(tomahawk, mortar) are ment to be used with 8 cores and a non-hardcore overclock. The smaller ones (gaming) are ment for the 4-6 core cpus.

there is a nice list (in german) of all the different motherboards and how they are set up according to vrm.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/communit...e-1155146.html

Dont trust all the people bullshitting you, the most msi b350 motherboards are actually amongst the best for 8 coring them. the list also clearly shows to never us a ASrock board with 8cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    Dont trust all the people bullshitting you, the most msi b350 motherboards are actually amongst the best for 8 coring them. the list also clearly shows to never us a ASrock board with 8cores.
    Only 2 boards: Krait and Gaming Carbon (not mATX version). Others have a weaker VRM than an Asrock Pro4.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Only 2 boards: Krait and Gaming Carbon (not mATX version). Others have a weaker VRM than an Asrock Pro4.
    jesus can u even read? i linked the list. MSI uses the SAME IGFETS for b350 and x370 boards. THE SAME STUFF. but hey, they are weaker.. jesus u really think the same transistor does a worse job on a cheaper board than on an expensive one?