Question about Star Trek timelines

So I'm curious about the timelines with the Borg in the star trek universe. In TNG Q launches the Enterprise in front of a cube. Due to the events in First Contact that obviously lead to the Borg Episode in Enterprise. Was that cube already on the way to Earth? Had the borg received the signal that was sent to the Delta quadrant by the drones in Enterprise? Or did they head to earth after Q flung the Enterprise in front of that first cube?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So I'm curious about the timelines with the Borg in the star trek universe. In TNG Q launches the Enterprise in front of a cube. Due to the events in First Contact that obviously lead to the Borg Episode in Enterprise. Was that cube already on the way to Earth? Had the borg received the signal that was sent to the Delta quadrant by the drones in Enterprise? Or did they head to earth after Q flung the Enterprise in front of that first cube?
    My memory was the Borg were there from the first contact movie set before enterprise
    , q made the Borg send a ship later

Quote Originally Posted by thepumper View Post
    My memory was the Borg were there from the first contact movie set before enterprise
    , q made the Borg send a ship later
    I didn't think they had enough time to send the signal in First Contact. I assumed the message didn't get sent until the Enterprise episode. And yes I know the borg were there in enterprise from the first contact movie.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the order these things were written in, and that the writer of "Q-Who" is dead, sort it out however you like.

Looking into it the borg were referenced back in the early season of TNG i forget the episode name but its the one where people from the past had been frozen and found in a derelict ship just like Kahn had been. In that episode the romulans made their appearance after numerous federation and romulans outposts were destroyed. Neither side knew who it was but the way it was done suggested borg actions. Now when Q sent the enterprise off to come into contact with the borg later in the series that encounter generated interest in the borg to send a cube into the federation. Weather or not the cube was already close to federation space, which seems plausible considering the earlier example, or if they had used a Trans-Warp conduit as they later did in voyager was never really shown that I remember.

As to the Enterprise borg episode the movie first contact ties that storyline up easily the borg in the episode were crashed survivors/corpses from the First Contact movie that had found their way to the surface and frozen solid. Humans found the crash site and started experimenting on the borg corpses which led to the enterprise episode some years later after the crash.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    With first contact AND enterprise ( tv series) it has been very messy.

I think it goes like this:
    - enterprise; borg ( borg left frozen from movie first contact) sent a signal
    - signal makes borg move towards federation ( but a slow speed/low priority)
    - Q makes real big first contact. Borg get a bit more aware/interested in federation.
    - 7 of 9 and parents follow borg for a while. Get captured and now borg want to go to federation to assimilate them.
    - romulan and federation colony's get attacked
    - battle of wolf 359
    - borg is busy with other stuff ( 8472?? )
    - battle of sector 001 ( first contact movie). borg go back in time and get frozen.

( also some extra timeline) Some fiction ( NOT offical) makes the creators of V'ger the borg ( or visa versa).
    Also the whale probe from the voyage home movie talks about ships this:
    A sequel novel to Star Trek IV, Probe, accounted another run-in with the Probe during a proposed peace talk/joint archeology survey with the Romulans. Kirk and his crew later discover that the Probe was created by beings that resembled Earth cetaceans and that it was damaged by what it described as "mites" in a cube shaped vessel which implies that it encountered the Borg before coming to Earth.

Actually it goes a bit different, Seven of Nine's family went on that expedition in 2353, and they got assimilated in 2356.
    Because of the information they got from Seven of Nine's family, they started to send scouts in the vicinity of the Alpha and Beta quadrants. Q moved the Enterprise towards one of those scouts and the rest is history.