Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Are you guys excited for the next Tomb Raider game? I can't wait to play it. I loved Rise of the Tomb Raider so much.

Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Rise is one of the few sequels of a game in history to successfully refine and emphasize what made the first game so great instead of trying a bunch of new shit nobody cared about. It reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy 2 in that it took almost no risks but sawed off the jagged edges of the first game and made them near flawless. Of course the first of the reboot series and Galaxy 1 were great games, but they had their shortcomings the sequel did an amazing job of eliminating. So yea, pretty much the only game besides Smash I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year. I just wish they'd revert her face back to the first game. It looked better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Erbel View Post
    Rise is one of the few sequels of a game in history to successfully refine and emphasize what made the first game so great instead of trying a bunch of new shit nobody cared about. It reminded me of Super Mario Galaxy 2 in that it took almost no risks but sawed off the jagged edges of the first game and made them near flawless. Of course the first of the reboot series and Galaxy 1 were great games, but they had their shortcomings the sequel did an amazing job of eliminating. So yea, pretty much the only game besides Smash I'm looking forward to for the rest of the year. I just wish they'd revert her face back to the first game. It looked better to me.
    I hated the controls in the first tomb raider reboot. they always felt so clunky.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I pre-ordered the Croft Edition when it was on sale at Green Man Gaming -- I thoroughly enjoyed the first two games and expect the trilogy to close out in a strong note.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    I still haven't made it through the first one lol. I own the first two though. I'll get this one when it's on sale at some point I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Im quite exited. The second one, Rise of the Tomb Raider was a masterpiece imo, completed it 3 times and earned all the achivements in it. I just couldn't get enough.

I will however wait a little bit before purchasing this one since there were no Collectors Edition for PC this time, so no point in pre-ordering. So I'll finish up the Mag'har grind on WoW first at least.

Excited? Nah. It literally releases in the middle of DQXI, Spiderman and VC4 all of which are far, far superior games to me. It also looks far more jank and unpolished then the 2 Crystal Dynamics led games, the move to Eidos Montreal as lead dev shows(and not in a good way).

I'll eventually buy it and play it, won't be anywhere near release though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I literally can't wait, the last two Tomb Raider games have been amazing and this looks even better in every way.

New TRs are travesty. If I wanted to play Uncharted, I would play Uncharted. This is coming from someone who played every single TR games out there, including reboots.

also preordered my croft edition back on GMG sale, super excited. I played the heck out of first 2, actualy have them both on pc and ps4 and played them on both. (yes, I know)

was so tempted by CE with the statue.... but managed to resist. barely :P that price tag.....

I noticed a lot of "and help lara become the tomb raider" in prerelease media and christ they have been milking that line for 3 games and half a decade. At this point i genuinely wonder if they are trying to avoid the short-shorts and twin pistols "lara 1.0" tomb raider design as much as possible. Which you would think they would deal with my making some horribly different design that makes people go 'b-but at least the gameplays great' but still more prequels.

I mean hey it could be great it just seems real odd that we need 3 games and counting -4 if you include the flashbacks from the 4th game in the series as a whole explaining "shes a student that got into archeology and travels the world having dangerous adventures in the process". There isn't really a desperate need for some MGSV hole filling exercise is there?

-although i do hope they tone down the abysmal failures they had with "oh my god, i killed someone, how can i live with myself....oh theres a bunch of goons and chest high walls. nice! headshot, bonus xp!" trying to make it seem like a moral crisis to have a bodycount that rivals doomguy.

Hopefully they can finish up this Uncharted-wanna-be trilogy and get back to, you know, tomb raiding. They are good *games*, but they are some of the worst *Tomb Raider games* in the series, since, well, they have absolutely nothing to do with Tomb Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    -although i do hope they tone down the abysmal failures they had with "oh my god, i killed someone, how can i live with myself....oh theres a bunch of goons and chest high walls. nice! headshot, bonus xp!" trying to make it seem like a moral crisis to have a bodycount that rivals doomguy.
    100 times this. The narrative does not fit the game whatsoever, not that the narrative is very good to begin with. Whines about killing while killing hundreds of people. Just shut up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Hopefully they can finish up this Uncharted-wanna-be trilogy and get back to, you know, tomb raiding. They are good *games*, but they are some of the worst *Tomb Raider games* in the series, since, well, they have absolutely nothing to do with Tomb Raider.

100 times this. The narrative does not fit the game whatsoever, not that the narrative is very good to begin with. Whines about killing while killing hundreds of people. Just shut up about it.
    Its what happens when devs value story over gameplay. The game is designed as a story first and gameplay is begrudged crutch to facilitate it. Same thing happened with The Last of Us and just about every other "we used chest high shooting because puzzles are hard" gameplay. Its videogame design done backwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Was wondering why the graphics were worse than the last one I played, ended with xbox1, so that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, yea, this game came out... I am probably guessing everyone is too busy enjoying Spider-Man right now..

But for myself I picked up the game and so far I guess it's okay. Pretty much more the same with some interesting changes, but nothing to dramatic in shift. But if you liked the other Tomb Raider games and wanted more then, like me, you'll get something out of it, but if you played the other games and wanted something new, then this probably isn't up your street.

Having played a few hours so far I can definitely say that if a person didn't like the general gameplay of the previous games, Rise of the Tomb Raider especially, then they are probably not gonna like this either, it doesn't really add any new innovative mechanics but it does improve on the stealth mechanics with stuff like stringing people from trees with rope arrows, covering yourself in mud to blend in with surrounding vegetation etc, my final verdict will have to wait until I've finished the game but so far I really like it.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2018-09-14 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really look forward to sit down in silence and play it. Right now there's too many in wow that wants to play. Last week I spent all weekend playing trough Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    "Ludonarrative dissonance," the trick is not to think of it too much.

- - - Updated - - -

OT: this one is definitely on my Steam wishlist but as I'm finding myself with less and less time to play games these days (and still get heavily into WoW with new content) I suspect I'll pick it up in a sale and have to wait a long while before I can fit it in my schedule.

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. its pretty much more of the same with some extras. I just wish they didn't demand twitter account to get gold skin for pickaxe :/ yeah, I know random minor gripe.

For a second I thought this was like, Shadow of the Colossus, but with Lara Croft. That sounded epic.

Then I watched the video and was like "meh".