Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Megathread] Fortnite

When I first heard about Fortnite I said to myself - it's another survival game coming out in early access *sigh*.

Today I watched a trailer for this game and I'M BLOWN AWAY!

This game has a very unique style and gameplay. It's a combination of action, building, survival with Diablo-like RPG elements.

More info here: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/e...ght-on-july-25

Check it out by yourself:

Last edited by mmocfee4aa7b34; 2017-06-08 at 06:02 PM.

Legit surprised this project is still alive. Given that we're now like...6 years after it was first announced, and the other games Epic is working on right now, I'd long since figured that they'd abandoned it.

Also, curious as to why they changed business models from F2P to box-price (though no word on microtransations or not, that I've seen at least).

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks pretty cool. I can see this being a lot of fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Legit surprised this project is still alive. Given that we're now like...6 years after it was first announced, and the other games Epic is working on right now, I'd long since figured that they'd abandoned it.

Also, curious as to why they changed business models from F2P to box-price (though no word on microtransations or not, that I've seen at least).
    One thing I imagined is that the Character Cards will end up being part of some micro transaction scheme.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    That looks pretty cool, but B2P + MTX is extremely lame. I'll have to see if I can talk some friends into playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks interesting, but I'll wait and see if actually has any depth before buy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started during Online Test 8 (July/August 2016) and nothing to the core gameplay has changed since then. Two weeks ago OT11 came out and it's still a grindfest of a game. They also added an abomination of a UI which has console writen all over it.

On top of that 95% Heroes, Weapons and Traps are locked behind an RNG Paywall. There is NO character creation and the basic heroes you get from the first few progression quests, only have perks up to a certain level. In later game they will be rather weak and useless and require you to play the RNG game.

Also if you plan to solo you will run into a giant roadblock even before leaving the first land. If you do plan on solo be prepared to spend atleast an hour and a half per mission for minimal reward, as solo play does not get rewarded with a bonus.

Not much is going to chance either as the game has been in Development since 2011. Infact during OT6 the game did have a character creation and class specific skills trees, but in OT7 it got replaced by an RNG Paywall.

This game had a lot of potential, but it's being destroyed by greedy business model. They should have gone the Overwatch way when it comes to Heroes and Skins.

People, vote with your wallet and wait for the F2P version in 2018 around the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post
    I started during Online Test 8 (July/August 2016) and nothing to the core gameplay has changed since then. Two weeks ago OT11 came out and it's still a grindfest of a game. They also added an abomination of a UI which has console writen all over it.

On top of that 95% Heroes, Weapons and Traps are locked behind an RNG Paywall. There is NO character creation and the basic heroes you get from the first few progression quests, only have perks up to a certain level. In later game they will be rather weak and useless and require you to play the RNG game.

Also if you plan to solo you will run into a giant roadblock even before leaving the first land. If you do plan on solo be prepared to spend atleast an hour and a half per mission for minimal reward, as solo play does not get rewarded with a bonus.

Not much is going to chance either as the game has been in Development since 2011. Infact during OT6 the game did have a character creation and class specific skills trees, but in OT7 it got replaced by an RNG Paywall.

This game had a lot of potential, but it's being destroyed by greedy business model. They should have gone the Overwatch way when it comes to Heroes and Skins.

People, vote with your wallet and wait for the F2P version in 2018 around the same time.
    If this is true, then it doesn't surprise me. Way too many games going this route nowadays. So fucking sad.

A game that looks to have had potential too. Oh well. Will probably give this a wide berth and never touch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    If this is true, then it doesn't surprise me. Way too many games going this route nowadays. So fucking sad.

A game that looks to have had potential too. Oh well. Will probably give this a wide berth and never touch it.
    Just give it a go in 2018 when it goes F2P, you might enjoy it for 2 weeks... maybe longer.

The longest i played was 1 month, mainly because my timezone made it hard to get groups in later game. I did try every other Online Test for only a week or so.

About the RNG Paywall, if you're familiar with Fallout Shelter Lunchboxes... that's how it works. You have no control over what you get.

It looks like a cool game, but then I saw the possible micro transactions and just nope nope

saw "building/survival" game in the title and immediately thought... "oh.... one of *those*"...

but this game actually looks like it has a bit of style to it.

I'm not likely to buy it til it hits 40-50% off though, or is on a humblebundle or somesuch...

funny thing is, this is a game where good or bad reviews may heavily influence whether & when i purchase it. its just on that borderline where it looks fun, but its not heavily in my wheelhouse that i'm eager for it.

It looks pretty interesting - but if it's heavy on micro-transactions then I have to temper my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    saw "building/survival" game in the title and immediately thought... "oh.... one of *those*"...
    From the looks of it I would call it more a horde mode survial / tower defence game that happens to have building and some resource gathering in it.

micro shitstains are a complete no-go though.

Been playing the alpha+beta for a couple years now, the game has become quite solid in regards to fun and mechanics and has improved greatly up until now. But my biggest problem is the micro-transactions. The crates purchased with the ingame currency (which you get over time in game or spend money on) are all random loot except for a few that have specific types of loot. Sometimes the crates have a chance to open as silver or gold containing better loot but not very often. It's F2P though so I pretty much expect that sort of thing. If there was some sort of subscription that offered increased currency gain or some amount along with the subscription every month (planetside 2's model for example) I would probably pay for.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got a €20 discount as a thank you for testing, but i'm not gonna pay up for a game that's gonna be F2P a year later.

There is a reason i spend €200 in Heroes of the Storm and €0 in Fortnite. Because i got the items i paid for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

It's still F2P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    It's still F2P
    F2P with an extreme grind flavour.

Having played the Alpha i bet you 100% people will get burned out in 2-3 weeks time.

Due to it's extremely grindy nature it will become P2P (Pay 2 Progress)

The lootboxes drop the following items:

- Hero Experience
    - Survivor Experience
    - Schematic Experience
    - Heroes
    - Survivors
    - Defenders
    - Weapon Schematics
    - Trap Schematics

But it's heavy RNG, getting a Rare or Higher from the Cheap Lootboxes is very slim.

You do get currency to buy lootboxes by just playing, but it's very grindy to obtain them after the tutorial.
    Last edited by TheDeeGee; 2017-06-10 at 12:07 PM.

Even if it is really grindy at the start of the game we can be positive and give feed back, let them know that we dont like the extremely slow gain and would like to see a small buff.
    as long as we are clear about what we want and to be fair at what we ask for most game dev.s will be accommodating. I for one will be playing this game hot and heavy, and i already got one friend into it as well so all i need is 2 more friends to have full team.

Looks like a Wildstar Survival game.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    micro shitstains are a complete no-go though.
    *shrugs*

If its f2p, I play the game, and don't pay for anything. I have my fun for free, and they have to foot the support costs... its a better way to vote against microtransactions, imo, than simply avoiding the game... make it come out of *their* wallet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    *shrugs*

If its f2p, I play the game, and don't pay for anything. I have my fun for free, and they have to foot the support costs... its a better way to vote against microtransactions, imo, than simply avoiding the game... make it come out of *their* wallet.
    Its not free, it costs $40.