Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    To put things in perspective... people at a certain age found a lot of disney movies scary too. Or Neverending Story etc. So if you found it scary, so be it. That does not mean that this movie was intended to be scary nor that the intended audience (and not some 6 year old kid) found it scary.
    Pfft, you have not been properly traumatized as a child if you missed out on watching the Dark Crystal at a tender young age because someone thought all Jim Henson movies were the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Pfft, you have not been properly traumatized as a child if you missed out on watching the Dark Crystal at a tender young age because someone thought all Jim Henson movies were the same.
    We do not talk about that movie!!!! /shudders

Honestly I found this movie scary as hell. Also as a none native speaker and barely able to read in my native tongue I did not understand most of what was happening. But hey it was a puppet movie...

Same with Never Ending Story. I was scared shitless about The Nothing and that "Gmork"-wolf.

Other then that, Aliens and JAWS were movies... that haunt me until this day. Just because I watched it far too early. But on the other hand... those movies gave me the best experience I could ever have. Since then I just became a bit unsensitive towards any scary movie.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2017-06-14 at 09:28 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Other then that, Aliens and JAWS were movies... that haunt me until this day. Just because I watched it far too early. But on the other hand... those movies gave me the best experience I could ever have. Since then I just became a bit unsensitive towards any scary movie.
    Truth be told, I couldn't play AvP as marine without a god mode, and it wasn't a difficulty issue... *HISSSSSSS*BEEP*BEEP*BEBEBEBEBEBE*
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Seen it now and the scariest thing in this movie is Tom Cruise.

Was really hoping this movie would be good. Hopefully the later movies will be better.

We do not talk about that movie!!!! /shudders

Honestly I found this movie scary as hell. Also as a none native speaker and barely able to read in my native tongue I did not understand most of what was happening. But hey it was a puppet movie...

Same with Never Ending Story. I was scared shitless about The Nothing and that "Gmork"-wolf.

Scariest thing from childhood by a mile!

Just watched this movie and it was utterly terrible. Deserves the scathing reviews its getting.
    Last edited by minkage; 2017-06-15 at 06:54 PM.

Probably not. I'll be honest, I don't take Cruise flicks as any sort of serious cinema, but I don't recall a movie of his (post-Cocktail) that I didn't enjoy on some level.

I liked the first Mummy. Remember watching it when I was like 5 or something in theaters. I was so scared when the mummy's face was on the wave about to swallow the airship.. haha.

If there's anything to go by from the trailer's, there will be loads of close call action scenes of protagonists trying to escape. If someone who did watch it can prove this wrong, I might give it a chance.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I have nothing against Tom Cruise normally. He's made his career as an action star, and he's good at it. He was badly miscast in this, though, which really says a lot. Russel Crowe was the only one who looked like he was having any fun.

The script was just awful, the directing was uneven, the cinematography was amateur, and the chemistry between Tom Cruise and what's-her-name was non-existent. Literally the only thing it did better than the 1999 movie was the quality of the CGI, and that's purely a function of 18 years of technological advancement.

Rather than go on endlessly about how bad it was, I'll simply ask a rhetorical question: if you're making a Mummy movie, why would you make it completely devoid of any and all Egyptian thematics past the (unnecessary) prologue?

7+ Year Old Account
    Scariest actor of my chldhood goes to this man, he scares the shit out of me even as an adult lol

it's a Tom Cruise movie, you can pretty much expect some action scenes and straightforward plot.

any movie he stars in is pretty much that. nothing ground breaking, just simple, easy to enjoy movies.

Deleted

wowzers, that image was bigger than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    I liked the first Mummy. Remember watching it when I was like 5 or something in theaters. I was so scared when the mummy's face was on the wave about to swallow the airship.. haha.
    unless your 90, I am going to assume you mean the Brendan Fraiser "The Mummy", as the Fist one was released in 1932 Staring Boris Karloff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    I think this movie is the perfect embodiment of what's wrong with today's average blockbuster - they're built formulaically in such a way as to attract what is, apparently, the most interesting element to your average moviegoer. Namely, I'm talking about the fact that this is an action film where we have yet another force trying to destroy the world. It makes me sad that this is not an adventure movie, like its predecessors were.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    unless your 90, I am going to assume you mean the Brendan Fraiser "The Mummy", as the Fist one was released in 1932 Staring Boris Karloff.
    "I was so scared when the mummy's face was on the wave about to swallow the airship"

Obviously, duh.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

It is another CGI monster flick, they try to make scares with CGI. They try to set it in modern times. They try to make you care about the action. They have a lot of exposition where this is suppose to be the set up for their movie monster universe. Oooh all the movies are linked... But it fails, it fails to be like the original which was that slow burn of horror. It fails to be like the campy Brendan Frasier mixture of spooks and comedy set in a time period that would handle things in that manner. It is also just another one of those movies that Tom Cruise does for money in which things explode and he runs away from them. I wish he would do more things he actually cared about like Tropic Thunder, you could tell he cared about that role and he was actually having fun with it! He was enjoying it! This, this is just another paycheck. It is okay, not great, it isn't something that you are going to go back and say oooh lets watch The Mummy again. You watch it, are mildly entertained then forget about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything about Henry Jakyll was better and more interesting that the mummy and what Cruise was doing. But it was still not a bad nor good movie, it was just meh. I would recommend to spend money on Wonder Woman or rent something that recently came out.

It's a typical action movie with big loads of CGI that lacks the comedy of the 90s version. The only thing it has in common with the old movie is the title.

I don't actually regret paying for the tickets, but it's rather a "oh look, the movie is already on Netflix, let's watch it tonight" flick.